Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right here goes again..

• 12-10-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I had recently posted this thread about formatting my pc...

Now I have a "dell" windows xp service pack 2 reinstallation disk.. Would this work like my version is genuine and I have the serial key on the side of my pc.. so when I do try to go on the internet I can just register with that one?

Thanks!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As long as the PC in question is a Dell machine, then yes. You won't even have to register it most likely.

If it is a non-dell machine, then it will work, but trying to activate it will result in failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

yea mines an advent... theres no point in trying so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It was bundled with the Dell so it is not very likely it will work with another machine (activation issue).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

A Dell reinstallation disk will only work if you are using a dell motherboard with a Dell bios.

I dunno my friend who built his own pc... got rid of his dell one said he didnt buy windows just used that disk and the old serial... on the new machine..

Just wanted to get other opinions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Baraboo wrote:
    A Dell reinstallation disk will only work if you are using a dell motherboard with a Dell bios.

No, they stopped doing the bios check ages ago, but with xp it makes very little difference in any case due to the need for activation...

the only way it would really work would be to install using the dell cd, and then using a patch to stop the need for activation after 30 days. the only problem with this is that not only is it obviously illegal it means you wont get any updates from microsoft and wont be able to download updates from their website.

which is defo not recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

simple solution is install it and when it fails the activation, call them (using the number provided) tell them you had to reinstall it and they will provide you with a confirmation id over the phone. job done.

I have a serial though on this machine would that not work no?

theres only a limited number of times (2 or 3 I think) that you can activate online with the same serial. After that you need to call them.

Ive done it over 6 times in the last 3 years...

• Advertisement

so what exactly are you asking? if youve done it before whats going to stop you doing it again?

Did you read my other post? I got a new motherboard so I couldnt use the cd I got for my "advent" computer and havnt formatted in like a year

I just want to know would the dell windows xp "reinstallation" disk work and I can just use my product code on this machine!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DeafVision wrote:
    Did you read my other post? I got a new motherboard so I couldnt use the cd I got for my "advent" computer and havnt formatted in like a
    The bad news is that OEM windows lives and dies with the motherboard, unless the manufacturerer replaces it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

BrianjG wrote:
    simple solution is install it and when it fails the activation, call them (using the number provided) tell them you had to reinstall it and they will provide you with a confirmation id over the phone. job done.

Simple solution :

Install Ubuntu

:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tommycahir wrote:
    Simple solution :

Install Ubuntu

Not very helpful...as helpful as somebody having issues with Internet explorer and somebody says use Opera

While it will give the person a OS its not goiong to do everything windows can do,

DeafVision wrote:
    I just want to know would the dell windows xp "reinstallation" disk work and I can just use my product code on this machine!

yes but technically it wouldnt be a valid license.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

tommycahir wrote:
    Simple solution :

Install Ubuntu

Lord in heaven...

"My car won't start"

"Buy a helicopter!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Lord in heaven...

"My car won't start"

"Buy a helicopter!!"

Helicopter, hmmm-don't tempt me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

on a more serious nte.. from past experience the dell installation disk will not allow you to install on a non dell machine maybe that restriction has now been removed but as i said i am not sure on this!

you could always get a loan of a mates xp cd and then buy the licence key seperately to the cd. i suspect that would be cheaper than buying the packaged version of the os from a shop..

just a thought..

Right.. ive read throught the cd's readme fils and it says nothing to do with dell and tha its an windwows xp service pack 2 cd... the only thing I need is a valid product key to make it work..

If I format this drive and remove windwows xp.. does that mean my product key becomes valid?

EDIT: Also I ran a system upgrade report to make sure it would work for my computer and I got this:

Windows XP Upgrade Compatibility

Windows XP upgrade check found no incompatibilities or problems.
    ================================================================

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lord in heaven...

"My car won't start"

"Buy a helicopter!!"
    Buy ?
    You simply fill in the web form and they will send you a free replacement car, probably a left hand drive Lada Riva with everything in cyrillic but it will probably still get from A to B though maybe not in the manner you are accustomed to. Or even in the direction you want to go since you won't be able to use it on toll roads like the M50. But it's a real 4x4 and can go places your previous car couldn't.

So Ignoring the motherboard issue.
    DeafVision wrote:
    Right.. ive read throught the cd's readme fils and it says nothing to do with dell and tha its an windwows xp service pack 2 cd... the only thing I need is a valid product key to make it work..
    If you have a working copy of windows on the PC you could try the setup from inside there, and install to another folder, but the appropiate CD would be better, and it's a chicken and egg thing.
    If I format this drive and remove windwows xp.. does that mean my product key becomes valid?
    no.
    Windows activation means the list of used product keys is stored on microsofts database servers not on the local drive. this is why you need web access or to phone up them to get it activated.
    Windows XP upgrade check found no incompatibilities or problems.
    microsoft have a habit of not "doing exacty what it says on the tin" :(

What happened to the orignal XP CD ?
    can you go back to PC world/dixons/curries ? (not that I give much hope or would want to go back either)
    I think that part of the OEM deal was that microsoft washed their hands completely of support and media replacement :(

does anyone knows if you can get replacement oem media from microsoft ?

Back on to the motherboard
    If neither the Advent CD or the Dell CD work then you should check back with the place where you got the replacement motherboard to see what would work. Do not be suprised if they tell you that you need a new copy of windows. In which case your options are
    - put back in the old motherboard if it still works
    - get pc word & co. to replace the motherboard and sort out windows
    - call microsoft activation line and ask them how you should proceed

This forum is about software you own.Microsoft have restrictions on the use of their software, some of these restrictions increase their profits.
    There are free alternative OS's. You can also buy non-OEM copies of XP on eBay. You can go back to the people you got the PC from and the people you got the motherboard from (maybe they could sell you an OEM copy) - if you bought the motherboard second hand then you are entitled to any non-transferrable OEM software bound to it. You could even ring microsoft.

The microsoft OEM license is very restrictive, but that's why it costs less than a full retail package.

What happened to the orignal XP CD ?
    God knows :rolleyes: I most likely lost it.

The thing is I havnt tried the advent cd since I got a new motherboard(the other one broke btw).. Im afraid cause of driver issues

The only reason I thought the dell cd would work is because its a renistallation cd.. not like the advent one where you HAVE to boot from cd drive(theres no menus or anything like when you put the cd in)

I duno.. Theres nothing seriously wrong with the pc other than its slowing down.. Its works just fine.. I just like to start from scratch every 6 months and havnt done it in a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you have XP Pro, the license should cover installation on 2 machines (I'm pretty sure).

If you just want to install it on the new computer then you should install it and ring Ms to get a new activation ID if it'll keep you within the license. They used to be annoying about this but apparently they aren't supposed to be as bad now that XP is out a while and they've had a lot of requests I suppose at this stage.

Give it a go if you won't loose information, whats the worst that could happen?

the 2 pc option is not valid for oem software.

Its only on one computer.. I only want to reinstall windows start fresh!

Am closing the thread as people still seem to be confused about the restrictive nature of Microsoft OEM Licenses, they live and die with the hardware they were bought with.

Have a read of this
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/training/mosb/oem-system-builder-licence/

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/training/mosb/oem-system-builder-licence/used-pcs/
    Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer without the need for a new operating system licence. The exception to this is if you upgrade or replace the motherboard and chassis. This is considered to result in a "new PC" and the end user will need a new operating system licence.

If the motherboard fails and is replaced under warranty, the end user does NOT need a new operating system licence.

Also found this
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/training/mosb/oem-system-builder-licence/key-points/default.aspx
    * You may not create recovery CDs, but you may offer a hard-disk based recovery solution.

brim4brim wrote:
    If you have XP Pro, the license should cover installation on 2 machines (I'm pretty sure).
    No it will only cover one motherboard/chassis. If you replace the motherboard then it don't even cover that one PC.
    BrianjG wrote:
    the 2 pc option is not valid for oem software.
    Also the 2 pc option never applied to windows.

AFAIK the 2 pc option only ever applied to certain retail/volume licenses of the office family and even then there were conditions such as both copies could not be used at the same time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement