Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you say when you can't do something because of your pet?

Options
  • 12-10-2006 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

My husband and I have 2 3month old pups which we got 3 and a 1/2 weeks ago. We are going to a party on Saturday night for one of his friends and his friend's girlfriend has asked him to call over that afternoon and help set up. The thing is I have work Saturday and so he can't help her as if we are going out that night he needs to spend the day with the dogs and is planning to take them for a walk by the river.

The thing is he is embarrased to tell her this. He wants to say that that he has to work as he thinks saying he's taking the dogs for a walk sounds selfish. I know he is feeling bad that he can't help her as she recently did us a very big favour. But I think he has to get used to saying that we have responsibility for two animals and people will understand that this is not selfishness. For the next 12-15 years we will not be able to do lots of things that others want us to do and I really believe that we need to be confident in saying this from the start.

So what does everyone else say when they have to let someone down due to the responsibility of their pets? And how do people respond?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm just open about it ... we have two cats who don't like being left alone for very long, and if we go away somewhere and stay overnight, I'm not afraid to say that we have to get back early the next day because of the cats. Maybe they think we're mad, but that's their problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Lurk

I've had two 6-year-old lassies from birth and the handiest thing I've found is an understanding kennel that takes them at very short notice (most of the year, anyway). You'll probably have to find a nice doggie hotel when they're a bit older, but most people would understand that your pups can't be left alone at this stage, if not for their sake then for the sake of your carpets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

"Sorry, bit tied up eary in the evening... but I can drop by later if you still need me"

Covers everything. it's true.

Like you said, they will be your responsibility for the next 15 (try 19 in the case of our last dog!) years - so he will eventually have to make amends with the issue!!!

If she's a really good friend then she'll understand - especially as they are puppies.

Also - if you trust someone enough you could ask them to take them out for a walk (emphasis on TRUST) or alteratively to drop in and give them the 'widdle run' as it's known in our house!!!

But it's going to keep coming up - so honestly is the best policy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Be honest.

People who know me know that my two dogs are like my kids and they come first for both my wife and I.
    If you said "have to bring my son/daughter to the cinema" no-one would bat an eyelid.
    If they are good friends they'll understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I am single with doggies so if there's any events after work etc then I have to arrange to drop them off with my mum or if I am staying somewhere overnight they have to go to home boarding or come with me if possible.

Everything I do has to revolve around them and my friends understand - some of them slag me but at the end of the day they are my responibility and people have to accept that.

Tell them and don't be embarressed - you should be proud of yourselves for putting your dog 1st - it's refreshing to hear !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I have an average of 25 dogs here and people have long stopped to invite me to parties :D as I never have the time to go :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I cant stay out over night and am never afraid to say it.

people just gotta understand our pets are totally reliant on us!!

Although i know some peopel just dont 'get it'

if he is not comfortable just say your busy, its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Thank God I'm not alone!! :D
    Used to be blue in the face explaining to people that we couldn't stay over (we live in the country) as we needed to get home for our rabbits (sadly since departed)
    Don't seem to have as much hassle regarding the cats, or people just got tired of asking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I don't have this problem much as there is nearly always someone at home to take care of them.

My fear is going on holiday. I only have my dogs 5 weeks and they seem to know that they are my dogs so are more attached to me than anyone else in the household. But then I am a bigger dog lover than most here so that's no surprise.

I don't like the idea of putting my dogs in kennels as I know it would somehow damage them mentally and I could not relax on holiday unless I knew they were happy.

Is it a big job to bring dogs on holiday with you. I have an apartment in southern Spain and like to go there a few times a year. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

We have a 5 year old English Springer Spaniel and a 16 mth old Jack Russell cross plus lots of chickens & and a few ducks. I have to be around at dusk to shut the birds in else the fox will eat them, that is quite limiting especially as the nights draw in, they roost at 4pm in December so I have to be here.

The dogs aren't so bad now, the puppy seems to have stopped chewing the furniture at last :) Housetraining was difficult, you have let them out every hour or 2 till they get the hang of it. We don't go out at night much (cheaper to drink wine in the house and not risk drink driving) but if we do my kids are old enough to "dog sit" now. If I'm planning to go out for the day I often take the dogs with me, as long as its not too hot to leave them in the car. They are happy knowing they're going to get a walk then they sit in the back of my estate with a bowl of water watching the world go by.

I was a bit worried that your husband is taking 3 month old pups for a walk. Have they had all their vaccinations? A friend of mine's dog died of Parvo recently. She says she'd had it vaccinated she might just have been saying that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement