Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Subjects

Options
  • 12-10-2006 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Im a 4th year student and I am wondering about peoples opinions about subjects that they are doing or have done. Im doing English, Irish, Maths, French, Chemistry , Biology, Geogrpahy(All HL) and I got 6As(French, Maths, Science 1989 syllabus, CSPE, Geography, Business Studies) and 3Bs ( English, Irish , Home economics) in the junior certificate 2006 all higher level. I hope to persue a career in the medical field such as pharmacy or even medicine.

THANKS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Um... go with what you like?
    I'm doing physics, art, french, music and applied maths and I'm perfectly happy with them as I ... enjoy all of those subjects.

Though for medicine don't you need like, three sciences?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

two sciences will do (one MUST be chemistry) but with the three you can skip pre-med in some colleges with good enough grades.
    HOWEVER, there is talk of changing how u get into med, heading more to the UK idea of essay/aptitude/interview. As you are only in 4th year now, use this year and do tons of work shadowing in the diff fields, it will def stand to you when trying to choose/get in, iun a few years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Um... go with what you like?
    I'm doing physics, art, french, music and applied maths and I'm perfectly happy with them as I ... enjoy all of those subjects.

Though for medicine don't you need like, three sciences?

Thats not the question I am asking! Im just wondering what people think is hard or not or easy etc.

PeterMC wrote:
    two sciences will do (one MUST be chemistry) but with the three you can skip pre-med in some colleges with good enough grades.
    HOWEVER, there is talk of changing how u get into med, heading more to the UK idea of essay/aptitude/interview. As you are only in 4th year now, use this year and do tons of work shadowing in the diff fields, it will def stand to you when trying to choose/get in, iun a few years time!

Yup thats to do with the appitude test that people can do if they get 500+ in the leaving certificate. I have basically shadowed all these fields since I started secondary school hence I am doing 2 sciences. Physics is not necessary and I think I will get a higher grade in geography than physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

this so god damn freaky, im in 5th yr doing the exact subjects you listed (all honours) and i also hope to do pharmacy!!:eek:
    there grand subjects. bio and chem work really well together as there is a small bit of chem in bio. geography is good too but it is like a third science subject and could drive a person mad! but it is a good mix and you cant really go wrong with em cos theres so much choice with them after the l.c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

English- grand
    French- Lot more challenging than JC, but not too hard, make SURE youve good french teachers in your school, otherwise, if you can, pick another language. It's hard to do well in French with a crap teacher
    Chemistry I initially hated it, it's growing on me now. Much more advanced than JC, some aspects are completely different (i.e. the Bohr theory etc). If you've an apptitude for science, you'll do fine
    MathsHonours maths is very time consuming.I got an A at JC, but had to drop to ordinary because I just didn't have the time to devote to the subject
    BiologyI love it, far harder than some people seem to believe it will be, in my opinion though it's not too tough
    IrishAn absolute joke!I love the lanuage, abhor the course. You'll do fine in this exam if you have a photographic memory!
    Geography I'm not doing it, have to say though that according to friends, parts of it are mind numbingly, wrist slashingly boring!There are also interesting aspects though.

It seems to me that Geog is just a subject you don't need for your course, simply filling in the 7th subject, am I right? If not and you actually like it, completely ignore the following advice: Consider taking an outside subject and ignore geog, Friends of mine have taken up Classical studies in 6th year and love it. It would be especially suitable if you have an interest in history,english old battles (like the romans and stuff),or art history.
    Also if you do like history, do NOT listen to the hype abput it being to detailed, blah,blah. I considered not doing it because of these rumours, but Im so glad I took it as it's so interesting!

Hope that helps:D

jaydigity wrote:
    English- grand
    French- Lot more challenging than JC, but not too hard, make SURE youve good french teachers in your school, otherwise, if you can, pick another language. It's hard to do well in French with a crap teacher
    Chemistry I initially hated it, it's growing on me now. Much more advanced than JC, some aspects are completely different (i.e. the Bohr theory etc). If you've an apptitude for science, you'll do fine
    MathsHonours maths is very time consuming.I got an A at JC, but had to drop to ordinary because I just didn't have the time to devote to the subject
    BiologyI love it, far harder than some people seem to believe it will be, in my opinion though it's not too tough
    IrishAn absolute joke!I love the lanuage, abhor the course. You'll do fine in this exam if you have a photographic memory!
    Geography I'm not doing it, have to say though that according to friends, parts of it are mind numbingly, wrist slashingly boring!There are also interesting aspects though.

It seems to me that Geog is just a subject you don't need for your course, simply filling in the 7th subject, am I right? If not and you actually like it, completely ignore the following advice: Consider taking an outside subject and ignore geog, Friends of mine have taken up Classical studies in 6th year and love it. It would be especially suitable if you have an interest in history,english old battles (like the romans and stuff),or art history.
    Also if you do like history, do NOT listen to the hype abput it being to detailed, blah,blah. I considered not doing it because of these rumours, but Im so glad I took it as it's so interesting!

Hope that helps:D

Yup thats the reason. Its just a 7th subject and I am capable of getting an A1 in geography. Its fairly interesting aswell. I like the whole area of plate tectonics and stuff.

Thanks for your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Physics makes me want to jump off a cliff, nuff' said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

English - Good, intersting in my opinion. I like English.

Maths - Good stuff. I like maths.

Irish - Only subject I'm doing pass in. I don't really like languages so I didn't need to bother with hons.

German - Getting grinds at the moment and probably will keep them til the LC. With grinds it's obviously easier.

Biology - Interesting and easy (easy enough as in: once you learn it and keep revising it if you forget it). Good choice. One of my best/fav subjects.

Physics - If I had to pick again I probably wouldn't pick this. Not much work needed in class but I find that the tests are harder, learning it is hard imo. It is different to other subjects I think - in the way you have to learn it. Probably my dodgiest subject but hoping for an C3 or more in hons.

Applied Maths - Took this up this year. So far so good. We're doing relative veocity now. Helps with maths. Is already kicking in.

L.C.V.P - A safety net of some sorts. If I can get a distinction that's a C1 incase I mess up another subject.

Engineering - Theory is boring but not hard to learn, although I have a great teacher. Good subject imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Aero787

Maths - Not a bad subject at all. Needs work and getting used to exam questions. :)

English - Boring! Makes me feel like hitting my head off a brick wall.

Irish - It's ok. I'll just learn things off for it.

French - I find it easy, but a lot of people don't. :)

Physics - Good subject. We're encouraged to think for ourselves rather than being spoonfed. :)

Chemistry - It's a grand subject, but I don't find it the most interesting. :)

Accounting - Easy, just have to learn the little tricks and practice questions. :)

Applied Maths - Doing it once a week for 40 mins. I'll only take the exam if I reach an acceptable standard (A or B).

Music - I probably should have taken music because I would get an A1 guaranteed, but I'm not worried about points.

:) = a subject I'm happy with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

English, Irish, Maths, French, Chemistry , Biology, Geogrpahy(All HL)

I'm only doing one of the choice subjects that you are - Biology. Personally, I regret doing it and only chose it as I was under the impression that a science subject would be a good idea, especially as I didn't know what I wanted to do after the LC. Now though, I'm certain that Biology will be useless and as a result I'm beginning to despise it, but fortunately I'm confident of getting a C or B if I manage to put my head down.

What one of my friends is doing is dropping down to pass Irish so he can concentrate on the other six subjects. If you're already worrying about which subjects are easier then perhaps that could be a viable option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

English- HL. The course is WAY too broad, there's too much to do/learn. Will be a massive effort to try and get a B2 or higher in this.

Irish-HL. Grand, because I'm really good at Irish. Hoping for an A2 at least.

Maths- OL. \o/ Not counting for points, and I can get a C in it without bothering to study it.

French- HL. Hard enough, I don't like the opinion stuff and I'm dreading the oral.

History- HL. Love.It. Even though I'll have to study loads for it. Very glad of the 20% the research topic will give.

Geography- HL. Mind numbingly boring, but very easy. Yay easy points! I'll go mad if I don't get an A1 in it.

Biology- HL. Will need the most study, the course is so broad. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm also in TY. For the Leaving I want to do History and Economics, and Classical Studies. The school I'm in doesn't do C.S however, and won't let me take it as my third subject because I don't have access to a teacher. For the JC I did Music, Business and Science (B,B,C Higher Level). I REALLY don't want to have to do any science subject or music becasue I hated both of them. Do I need any specific subjects for English and Drama?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Surely if you're doing a subject outside school (ie Classical Studies) your school can't.. tell you not to?

Afaik for drama and english you don't need any specific subjects, but there's an interview for drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

clickclick wrote:
    this so god damn freaky, im in 5th yr doing the exact subjects you listed (all honours) and i also hope to do pharmacy!!:eek:
    there grand subjects. bio and chem work really well together as there is a small bit of chem in bio. geography is good too but it is like a third science subject and could drive a person mad! but it is a good mix and you cant really go wrong with em cos theres so much choice with them after the l.c

hi, randomly back here and though I'd say great choice! In pharmacy there is lot of Biology, it'll really stand to you! I'm in first year pharm at the moment and I'm finding the LC biology a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I did those exact 7 subjects for my LC last year; and they served me well :D

English - meh. Just dont play Oscar Wilde here - stick within the departmental guidelines and you'll do fine (guidelines for marking are an essential handout!). Difficult to guarantee yourself a high grade, as ultimately the correction of English hugely depends on the examiner in question.

Irish - Lovely language, horrible horrible course. Stumbled through it but came out smiling!

Maths - I did pass. Enough said.

French - Without a doubt my favourite subject, and if you're any good at the language the exam is a piece of piss! Just watch out for the oral maybe; much preparation needed.

Biology - Err, without a doubt my favourite subject... also.. :confused: This is a monkey test! Absolutely nothing to grasp or comprehend, just lots and lots of learning and memory work. Broad course.

Chemistry - more mathematically oriented than the aforementioned, but still very enjoyable. Experiments can be quite the bitch though. The paper has an excellent layout; very accessible.

Geography - absolutely detested this subject. One of my best grades, but it really wasnt worth it.. so mind-numbingly boring.. and the exam could swing either way. Dont even start me on that field report.

Hope that helped (any excuse not to do something I should be doing.. stupid college..)

I find Irish easier than English and I got the good news this week that my Irish paper in the junior certificate was upgraded from a B to an A. So now I got 7As and 2 Bs.

Grateful for all the comments submitted.

Advertisement