Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please Help.... daughters homework driving me mad!

• 12-10-2006 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Knew it would happen one day but was hoping not for a few more years!

If someone can shed some light on this by tomorrow morning I would be very appreciative:-

I have nine medals.

8 weigh 20g and 1 weighs 21g.

Using a scales (with no weights), how would you figure out the odd one out in just 2 weighs.

I can easily figure out how to do it in 3 goes - split in to 2 groups of 4, weigh, if they balance then the excluded medal is the odd one, if they don't balance, then take the heavier 4 and for the second weigh put 2 medals in to each pan. This will identify the group of 2 in which the 21g medal is in and then put one is each pan and the heavier is the one you're looking for.

but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it in only 2 weighs.

Any clues?

o29

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Split them into three groups of 3. Put two groups of 3 on the balance. If they balance take the third group and put one medal on each scale. If they balance the third is the 21g, if they don't the heavier is the 21g.

If your original 2 groups don't balance, take the heavier group of 3 and do the same thing.

2 weighs and you find the 21g !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Bangs head of table.

Thanks - can sleep easily tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Obelisk29 wrote:
    Bangs head of table.

Thanks - can sleep easily tonight.

me 2 . . that wrecked my head for a good 10 minutes !

Advertisement