Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing cement from patio

Options
  • 12-10-2006 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

We got some new tiles in the kitchen last week and the tiler used the patio out the back to mix his cement or grout or whatever it is that tilers use, anyway theres some of it stuck to the ground, just wondering does anyone know how to remove this? Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

my suggestion is a lump hammer and bolster easy enough to do just be carefull not to crack ur paving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

byrner88 wrote:
    my suggestion is a lump hammer and bolster easy enough to do just be carefull not to crack ur paving

Risky, very risky!!. OP What type of material is Patio eg Natural stone, cobble, concrete flag or??

It will be very difficult to remove all without damaging surface. Try and scrape away as much with a scraper using plenty of water. Alternate with wire brush. Note you will not be able to use brush on colured conc flags.

You could get the tiler back and give him the problem. For total removal you will need to replace patio slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

If it is cement you could try distilled white vinegar.
    I used that to get cement spots off my car a while ago and it works a treat. You will need to use more than I did though.
    Just get a sponge and soak it in the vinegar then hold the sponge on the cement for a while, you'll should see it breaking up after a few minutes. Might need to trya few times, but it should work. (If it's cement)

Good luck.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Had the same on my patio when I moved in and eventually shifted it a year later. I used a lump hammer and bolster as byrner88 suggested. Once the angle of the bolster is very low to the ground it was no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

After the lump/bolster part of the exercise - you could use Sandtrax (a hydrochloric acid solution) to remove any concrete residue. It would be best to test this on a not-so-obvious piece of your paving first to ensure that it does not cause discolouration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement