Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neither beeps nor video signal when computer is switched on

Options
  • 12-10-2006 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi All,

I finally started my first build. I'm taking lots of photo's so I can post the build. It might encourage others to take the plunge.

Anyhow, I now have my first problem :rolleyes:

My Rig:
    X6800
    P5W DH Deluxe 2Gb
    GSkill DDR2 PC2-6400HZ
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K250
    OCZ GameXStream 600w
    HIS X1950 XT-X

The mobo light is on when PSU switched on.
    I switch on the pc and the front panel power light is on and all fans (CPU, chassis's, PSU, GCU) are running. Optical drive is powered.
    However no video. I also don't hear any beeps.

The bios chip on the mobo says 0701.
    Asus say 0604 or later supports new cpu's. On the BIOS update page it has 0701+the latest 1407.
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5W%20DH%20Deluxe

BUT they also state that Core 2 Duo needs 1101.
    ]http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5W%20DH%20Deluxe

Which is correct?

Second question.
    Could the rig actually be ok? I just have a problem with the monitor?
    The new graphics card has only 2 DVI's o/p. My screen is a vga flat screen (3 years old).
    My eXisting card in my Dell (9800Pro) has vga+dvi and I can't see anything using the dvi with adapter. I use the vga.

I am right in saying if the pc is working ok I shouldn't get any beeps.
    Could it be working ok and I just can't see it?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I think Asus are correct in that the 0604 is the minimum require for Core 2 support {edit:I've seen confirmed boots with 0701} so I don't think it may be that issue your having but as to why it says 1101 in the other chart I cant shed any light on either. That said looking at a few Google topics it seems some folk get boot issues for mysterious reasons with Core 2 and even if they have a supported bios.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS I've read people having strange issues that required a reset out of the box to get it working

Could it be the monitor itself that is at fault DVI adaptors are pretty standard affairs is there anyway you can test the machine with another display VGA or DVI it doesn't really matter.

If none of the above works out see if you can get your hands on some alternate RAM and see if the system posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Buadhach

Cheers 8T8.
    Right on all counts. (0701 Bios is ok for Conroe)

I ruled out the monitor. I then tried all sort of things.
    Re-connecting all connectors.
    Booting with no DVD drice,floppy drive or Sata.
    Trying several configs with my memory sticks.

I saw your reply and I removed the CMOS battery and put in the spare batt that came with the board.
    Mobo powered up no probs. POST--->BIOS---->Windows installed

Thanks again for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nice 2 see you got ir sorted.

Don't throw away the old cmos battery, by removing it you cleared cmos. Chances are it works, but it was the cmos clear that sorted your problems.

Good luck.
    Pog

Advertisement