Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver Test please help

Options
  • 12-10-2006 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, one my driving test sheet i noticed that under "Positioning" i was marked 3 times for "positioning on left turn", now seen as i only had 1 one the straight, im assuming it that im not taking it sharp enough and maybe swinging bonnet marginally into oncoming lane, is this the case or could there be another explanation?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are turning left, how did you manage to get your bonnet (aka the front of the car) into the oncoming lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

You do not need to
    marginally into oncoming lane,
    to get an "X".

More than likely you were marked for going a bit wide. Front wheel should follow the kerb around - car should stay parallel to the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

thanks jr, id agree with what you said as being the most likely scenario, so how close should you be when you round it? like literally on top of the kerb, small gap etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Your normal driving position should be on a line 1 meter from the left, that is 1 meter from the kerb, parked car whatever. (called your safety line)

Going around a left corner, supposed to go as close as safe and pratical so between 0.75 and 1 meter (or between 2 to 3 feet in old money)

Error most people make is they go too "Square", they do not turn into the corner soon enough, that is they do not follow the curve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Position faults for turning left are given for:-

Swinging out too wide - follow pavement approx 1 metre away - (usualy this)
    Going too close
    Not turning smoothly while following kerb position

• Advertisement
Advertisement