Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for Drivers with Convictions?

Options
  • 13-10-2006 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Are there any insurance companies who are competitive when insuring drivers with convictions?

I know in the Uk a few companies target this "niche", but do any Irish ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Waiting for the self-rightous "if you have a conviction you dont deserve insurance" posters....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

St. Paul Travellers might.

Chances are it won't be cheap, depending on the type of conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Sundy wrote:
    Waiting for the self-rightous "if you have a conviction you dont deserve insurance" posters....

i knew someone would start these stupid comments.anyway theres always someone.

i would also like to find out if theres any companies that give good quotes for people that have around 6 penalty points.

and please stick to the Original posters comment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I know someone who was banned from driving a few years ago and got back driving, he had to get a UK company to insure him. Who? I haven't got a clue:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Sundy wrote:

I think thats a rather clever thing to say drdre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

xsdirect take people with convictions I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

www.arb.ie

'high risk' insurance

lightening wrote:
    I think thats a rather clever thing to say drdre.

i know its wrong getting a conviction but sometimes it happens for the most stupid reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

drdre wrote:

and please stick to the Original posters comment

OK Mr Mod.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    OK Mr Mod.

MrP

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Presume this is for a car rather than a bike or van??
    If you were insured before you should go back to that company as they were your last previous insurers.
    If you were convicted of no insurance (& have never held insurance with anyone before) you should go down the route of getiing 5 decline letters from 5 diff insurance companies. I think this is still the case but if you ring the insurance ombudsman he/she (being PC here!!!) will point you in the right direction.

my insurance is due soon,would you think its easy to get insurance with 8 points, i know it goes up 20-25% but can they just say sorry you a high risk so we are not insuring you.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

drdre wrote:
    my insurance is due soon,would you think its easy to get insurance with 8 points, i know it goes up 20-25% but can they just say sorry you a high risk so we are not insuring you.:mad:

Do you really think that 8 penalty points might not set off alarm bells?

eoin_s wrote:
    Do you really think that 8 penalty points might not set off alarm bells?
    i know but there must be somewhere i can get insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Trampas

Try quinns but they are dodgy

Trampas wrote:
    Try quinns but they are dodgy
    id rather not drive than go with quinn,as they are money making scammers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Attreu

Thank for the replies.

drdre- I do know www.excess.ie will insure you with your 8 points if you're tolerant of the €4,000 Excess they enforce.

This is from their website:

Do penalty points affect my premium ?

"No. We have seen no evidence that penalty points indicate a greater risk. In the US, the experience has been that as drivers get penalty points, they drive more safely. So for the moment our intention is not to load for penalty points."

This I applaud, however:

How do convictions affect affect my XS premium ?

We exclude drivers with convictions for drunk driving, dangerous driving or driving without insurance. In some cases, we can offer more favorable terms to drivers with no convictions whatsoever.

So they do not insure drivers with convictions.

Advertisement