Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Cream

• 13-10-2006 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I have noticed alot of English recipes call for single or double cream. I know you can buy double cream in M&S but its not a common ingerdient in Ireland. So when a recipe calls for this what is the Irish alternative? Is it just cream?

Also when a recipe calls for single cream, is this just milk?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No - single cream is not milk. It is bog-standard cream. Double cream is thicker.

I know that Avonmore & Elmlea do single cream & double cream varieties & you can get them in any decent supermarket.

Info found of the interweb:

Q. What is double cream?

A. Double cream is the name in Britain for a very rich cream — containing 48% butterfat. Single cream in Britain is comparable to American half and half (and may also be called pouring cream), with between 10% and 12% fat.

More definitions of cream here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I've never had any trouble getting double cream in any Superquinn/Tesco in Ireland !

Advertisement