Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracked Windsreen - Friday 13th thank you!

Options
  • 13-10-2006 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

I was driving into work this morning and low and behold my windscreen got hit by a stone, this just chipped the windscreen, my first one... that kind of annoyed me, then a few miles later down the road, another stone hit the windscreen in the same spot, and now there is a horizontal crack about 10 inches long on the drivers side of the window.

Should i be getting my windscreen replaced straight away, and how much should i reasonably expect to have to pay. I drive a 2006 Corolla Hatch.

Friday the 13th :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

sofireland wrote:
    Hi there...

I was driving into work this morning and low and behold my windscreen got hit by a stone, this just chipped the windscreen, my first one... that kind of annoyed me, then a few miles later down the road, another stone hit the windscreen in the same spot, and now there is a horizontal crack about 10 inches long on the drivers side of the window.

Should i be getting my windscreen replaced straight away, and how much should i reasonably expect to have to pay. I drive a 2006 Corolla Hatch.

Friday the 13th :mad:

your insurance might cover it without it affecting your NCB, I know Quinn Direct do this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

L5 wrote:
    your insurance might cover it without it affecting your NCB, I know Quinn Direct do this
    yeah most decent insurance companies will do this for you without affecting your NCB give a quick ring and they will tell you which glass company to call to get it done (without having to pay the glass company and then reclaim of the insurance company)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Isn't the Quinn Direct one only an option, anyway, i'll give em a call anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

sorted??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm assuming that if you have an 06 car then you have comprehensive insurance cover. You should therefore have windscreen cover.

• Advertisement

I didn't put the option on when i took out the policy, i'll take up at renewal next time!

I can get it done for €180 cash by a guy in navan, versus €270 by autoglass.

sofireland wrote:
    I didn't put the option on when i took out the policy, i'll take up at renewal next time!
    You didn't put on the option of windscreen cover or of comprehensive cover? Have you spoken to your insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't have windscreen cover then ring your insurance company and ask them to add it to your policy. They may charge you a small fee for this.

Then in a week or two ring them up saying your windscreen got a crack and needs to be replaced. Alot cheaper than paying for it out of your own pocket and windscreen cover usually doesn't effect your NCB.

bazz26 wrote:
    If you don't have windscreen cover then ring your insurance company and ask them to add it to your policy. They may charge you a small fee for this.

Then in a week or two ring them up saying your windscreen got a crack and needs to be replaced. Alot cheaper than paying for it out of your own pocket and windscreen cover usually doesn't effect your NCB.

Its quinn direct, they don't give it apparently, i must ring and see can i add it.

It is comp cover, but not as comprehensive as i thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Windscreen cover is an option for Quinn's policy.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:

This is fraud, and will drive other peoples premiums up.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Anan1 wrote:
    This is fraud, and will drive other peoples premiums up.

Fair enough on the fraud but drive other peoples' premiums up? For windscreen replacement? If it was a bogus whiplash claim, I'd be right up there with you on the indignation parade but for a windscreen replacement and delaying the claim a couple of weeks until you get the insurance sorted. I don't think so.

I don't have the option of adding it anyway, not til i renew next yr... looks like i'll have to take the hit

dubstub wrote:
    Fair enough on the fraud but drive other peoples' premiums up? For windscreen replacement? If it was a bogus whiplash claim, I'd be right up there with you on the indignation parade but for a windscreen replacement and delaying the claim a couple of weeks until you get the insurance sorted. I don't think so.
    So to scam €280 is OK, but to scam €28,000 isn't? Out of interest, at what figure would you draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Unless the crack is really annoying you I'd leave it as if you get the windscreen replaced it will probably be cracked again within a month. My windscreen has acquired about 10 small cracks and one big one in 3 years. First one happened when the car was about 2 weeks old. With all the debris and stones on Irish roads cracks are inevitable.

I will get it replaced for the NCT next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Although if you're doing a driving test, a cracked windscreen could mean an automatic fail.

Anan1 wrote:
    So to scam €280 is OK, but to scam €28,000 isn't? Out of interest, at what figure would you draw the line?

My point is that €280 is not going to affect drivers' insurance premiums. And to respond to the inevitable "well, if everyone did it": if that many people were getting smashed windscreens then windscreen cover would be very expensive anyway.
    I'm not saying insurance fraud is big or clever but I think the size of the crime needs to be put into perspective.
    Has no-one ever claimed off mobile phone insurance because of accidental damage (when they didn't cover that) or because they wanted a free upgrade?

dubstub wrote:
    My point is that €280 is not going to affect drivers' insurance premiums. And to respond to the inevitable "well, if everyone did it": if that many people were getting smashed windscreens then windscreen cover would be very expensive anyway.
    I'm not saying insurance fraud is big or clever but I think the size of the crime needs to be put into perspective.
    Has no-one ever claimed off mobile phone insurance because of accidental damage (when they didn't cover that) or because they wanted a free upgrade?
    With respect, that is a Bertie argument.

Anan1 wrote:
    With respect, that is a Bertie argument.

Aw sure, poor aul Bertie. Gets a little help from his friends and gets a roasting. Sure, I'm sure you got a couple a quid from a mate in a time of need. How is that any different?! ;)
    I presume that's the parallel you mean? I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Some may find that their morals and conscience will allow a little more lee-way than others. I personally would not have a problem with the claim for windscreen replacement and it's not going to make a difference to other peoples' policies in the grand scheme of things.
    But, if you wouldn't be cool with that, fair enough. I respect your high moral stance but my cynical nature makes me think it must be hard living life like that and must create a certain amount of bitterness at all the others bending the rules and getting away with it.

dubstub wrote:
    I respect your high moral stance but my cynical nature makes me think it must be hard living life like that and must create a certain amount of bitterness at all the others bending the rules and getting away with it.
    Not at all, there will always be theft. We all do a calculation in our heads - how much I need the money versus how bad I'll feel. I hope your way works out for you.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement