Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

given 5mb line, only 2mb exchange

Options
  • 13-10-2006 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

hi folks,

advice needed please - trying my very best to get broadband, finally thought it was sorted, but have fallen at the final hurdle...

our exchange in a rural area in the south east was enabled a few months ago. our neighbour who lives a few yards away, got bb straight away as he had a dedicated line - got it as someone he knew worked in eircom. we couldnt get it, as were on a carrier line with several other houses.

kicked up a fuss, and eventually have been put on a dedicated line :) . applied for bb, got our router, rang to check up on it yesterday, and they cancelled the order themselves as line still failing. what seems to have happened now, is they put us on a 5mb line, but the exchange is only enabled to carry 2mb - anyone know if this is pork pies, or how to get this sorted?

was on to every dept in eircom yesterday for almost 2 hours,:mad: and got nowhere - passed from one to another, finally got through to someone else, who finished at 6, so the line went dead....

what do i do next? :confused:

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sounds like they looked at the test and noticed the line would not support 5mbit , their most expensive package. Rather than contact you re: an agreed downgrade they pulled the order.

As there is no order in the system can you not simply bang one in online for a 2mbit package if it lets you ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dinos

we only ordered a 2mb package. according to their sales team, they say that the exchange wont handle any broadband as it is too strong. I dont know if they are just saying that, or even if it is a 5mb line, can they give us a 2mb connection, or do i have to get them to actually put us on a 2mb line - and if so, does an engineer have to call out and change it, or is it done from the exchange?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

When you're ordering a 5Mbps line you're entering a whole new level of muppetry within eircom. I have their 5Mbps ADSL on a line that's within a km of an exchange with the best SNR and attenuation figures I've ever seen. Muppets in eircom says "oh that line can only support 2Mbps". Yeah, except I have the 3Mbps service on it at full whack and the line can easily handle 5Mbps. A day later, oh yeah you're right, it can handle 5Mbps. It's flipping RADSL so what do they care?

The 5Mbps service is such spectacular poor value that I would go for the 3Mbps first and see how that goes. They will give that to you no questions asked once you pass the line test, in my experience. If your line can't sustain 3Mbps downgrade accordingly. At least once you have service you can check what the line is like and you can have a bit more of an intelligent conversation with eircom. eircom seems intent on not selling anything to anyone.

Advertisement