Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Octocon

Options
  • 13-10-2006 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Whos going? Also are tickets available on the door or do i have to get em online? And yes I realise i spelled Octocon totally ****ing wrong. Balls.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For a second I thought there was some comics version of Ultimate Fighter on this weekend. But anyway. I'm not going, but the lads from Press Start To Play are supposed to be going, so you wouldn't be the only comics dude there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

ask them :)

octocon contact

slight offtrack - used to go all the time when was in dunlaoghire - does anyone have any photos from then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Mailed em already but no answer. were the old ones pay at the door? im assuming it is, doesnt make any sense for it not to be

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Miss Shelly

Yes you can Pay at the door,
    The only difference really is that you'll have a hand written con badge rather than a printed one.

And there will be many comic fans there, there always is.

Badge wouldnt bother me at all. Its kind of annoying that i have to pay 25 quid even if i only want to go for one day though to be honest. I can only go out for a few hours tomorrow and i cant go on sunday. Also whats the story with the schedule? anyone know whats going on when? And what time do the doors open. the site doesnt seem to have been updated in a while

• Advertisement

Well who went? and how did you get on?

Was out for a few hours on sat, missed the JG jones talk but got to hear him for the small press vs large press etc talk which was pretty interesting.
    Got to talk to the Getyourcomics lads who were sound. Seen some mad punter wearing a cape running around.
    Enjoyed my few hours there and spent a few quid with the lads, only issue i had was that there was no 1 day tickets, especially with it being in Maynooth its not easy to pop in for a few hours on both days. So essentially I paid 25 quid for a 2 hour convention. which was all the time available to me. Would it not make sense to have a 15 Euro 1 day ticket or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Longshadow

Enjoyed Octocon. Working at the Getyourcomics trade stand meant I missed all the panels, but I did get to meet JG Jones, who was a very nice guy, and I got an amazing Y: The Last Man sketch off him, soon to be framed and hung in the office.
    Also 2000AD artist PJ Holden was there on Saturday, who was a similarily nice guy.
    Picked up vol 2 of Dublin author Micheal O' Carroll's New Heroes series, which is ostensibly aimed at teens, but it's superhero fiction, and thoroughly bloody enjoyable too. Michael was also guesting at Octocon, and was his usual nice-guy-author self for the whole weekend.
    Bit of a nuisance it being in Maynooth, I imagine they would have had a lot more attending if it were more central, particularly people dropping in for the likes of JG Jones. He certainly would have drawn more of a crowd in the city; it was almost surreal to see such a big name sitting there and having the time to spend half an hour on sketches for fans cos there was just no-one around.

Reckon the Dublin comcon is going to be packed as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Longshadow

Absolutely. The central location is one thing, but the guests they have; some of the biggest names in comics right now. In fact, two of the biggest there are right now, and a lot more besides. The kind of names that will draw all the serious fans in the city, and from outside too. I'll have a trade stand, but I'd have gone anyway, all the way from Cork, and I know a few more coming from Cork besides.
    Should be a good day.

Advertisement