Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony claims Wii and Xbox 360 overpriced

Options
  • 13-10-2006 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

hahaha! this is funny.

Read this interview with Sony's Michael Ephraim on an Ozzie site

Has nobody told him that the ps3 will be so much more expensive than either of those two? He's basically admitting the average family wont be able to afford it.
    :D or :( as the case may be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Another thread here today about how stupid Sony are. Great stuff! More! More!

I really want to see the Wii being a success, and continued sales of X360. If the PS3 flops, I wouldnt care less...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Microsoft's price point at $600-plus a big investment for family entertainment.
    Eh.......
    Europe, which is very diverse with 15 different languages and which Australia is linked into, decided to hold off on the launch because of the availability of the blue diodes for the PS3 Blu-ray disc player.
    So the bluray has led to the delay...... it could end up killing them

Are you happy with PSP's sales in Australia so far? There's a perception in the market that it is struggling because of strong DS sales.

If you look at the markets, they are completely different. The DS really appeals to a lot younger, very female skewed, and the DS has done a fabulous job.

Did he just call me a girl! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

read that news yesterday...laugh to hell...

ppl of SONY are simply so SPECIAL...:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are you happy with PSP's sales in Australia so far? There's a perception in the market that it is struggling because of strong DS sales.

If you look at the markets, they are completely different. The DS really appeals to a lot younger, very female skewed, and the DS has done a fabulous job.

Lol! Newsflash Sony: Despite the fact that the DS appeals to a younger audience doesn't matter when it's still outselling the PSP. The younger generation: welcome to the biggest videogame audience Sony.

That interview gave me a few laughs.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Lol! Newsflash Sony: Despite the fact that the DS appeals to a younger audience doesn't matter when it's still outselling the PSP. The younger generation: welcome to the biggest videogame audience Sony.

That interview gave me a few laughs.
    Not only that but that very smae younger generation will eventually grow up having spent their youth with Nintendo systems.... get them hooked early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sony are retards tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Cant wait to get my 360 and my Wii!!

Why do Sony seem to continuously put their foot in it? Though I still reckon the PS3 will outsell everything else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Aw man, I think Sony just say completely nutty things on purpose, to see if they can get away with it. And they do. People will buy it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

sprinkles wrote:
    Microsoft's price point at $600-plus a big investment for family entertainment
    .Eh.......
    He means 600 Australian Dollars which converts to around €360. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gotta love the Bizarro world Sony seem to live in.
    "I am bleeding, making me the victor!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, looks like the Sony of 2006 can do no right, ugly machine, ugly price, ugly launch line up and an ugly Euro launch date, maybe they should take a look at what they did back in 95 to see what they should be doing to make the public love them and their new machine.
    Its been a stream of damage control from them and their mouthpieces and most of it has only confirmed what asses they are, no rumble feature, two price points, both expensive, expensive software, difficulties in manufacturing,
    You'd swear they were a startup hardware manufacturer, this is the behaviour you would get from the Gizmondo people, not the biggest hardware player in the world!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

koneko wrote:
    Aw man, I think Sony just say completely nutty things on purpose, to see if they can get away with it. And they do. People will buy it anyway.

Note to Sony: She is on to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

sprinkles wrote:
    Not only that but that very smae younger generation will eventually grow up having spent their youth with Nintendo systems.... get them hooked early

This is so true i was brought up on sega then sony but sony are gone ott I really think nintendo is the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

wrote:
    Much of PS2's success is due to a range Sony has dubbed "Party Starters" - SingStar, EyeToy, Buzz and Activision's Guitar Hero, which each utilise easy-to-use controllers instead of joypads.
    wrote:
    The social gaming products are one by one shattering gaming stereotypes and in-turn this is removing a barrier for many consumers who would have previously not considered games as an entertainment option,

Before the interview even starts, there's some nice optimism for the Nintendo Wii to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think peoples distaste towards sony lately is because they deliver these nuggest of wonder on a almost daily basis:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/umd/sony-still-thinks-umd-is-swell-207737.php

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Sony really are showing some level of arrogance; maybe if they stopped and didn't believe their own hype for just a second they might do alright, I'm not so sure they'll come out of this one on top any more.

I do love the hint at 'ds is for girls... it's a great console alright.... for GIRLS' line. Sony seem to believe (or want you to believe) that you cannot mass market hardware, it's either young or old, men or women etc.

I do love the hint at 'ds is for girls... it's a great console alright.... for GIRLS' line. Sony seem to believe (or want you to believe) that you cannot mass market hardware, it's either young or old, men or women etc.

seem to have their advertising backwards if the PS3 is for older people: http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/first-north-american-playstation-3-commercial-the-wait-update-207717.php

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

you all realise that him saying the wii & 360 being "overpriced" is a comment regarding the actual worth of a wii & 360's technology, right?

Financially yes.

But worth can be argued on many levels.

For example if Blu-Ray fails to take off, which is possible, then you have a console that is overpriced due to lugging around an extra $300 doller pointless attachment.

And on a side note, the 360 also sells for a loss, so that wouldnt be overpriced either right?

The only overpriced console is the Wii in financial terms.

BlitzKrieg wrote:

And on a side note, the 360 also sells for a loss, so that wouldnt be overpriced either right?

The only overpriced console is the Wii in financial terms.
    qft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

sprinkles wrote:
    qft

What has quantum field theory got to do with this...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jaggeh wrote:

eh, everything?

jaggeh wrote:
    .... didn't you hear that Sony's new machine can transend the space time continuum

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sony are the kings of overpricing. Almost everything they've brought to market recently has been months behind their competitors, of lower functionality and with a bigger price tag.

Sometimes I really think they've done well in spite of themselves.

I agree, just look at their memory sticks. 1 gig costs twice the amout of a 1 gig SD card (don't even start me on the fact they keep changing the f*cking thing so I have to buy the new size).

I think they'll do well with the PS3 but not as well as they have done perviously and MS will come out on top. They really are setting themselves up for a fall.

sprinkles wrote:
    I think they'll do well with the PS3 but not as well as they have done perviously and MS will come out on top. They really are setting themselves up for a fall.

i disagree actually... i don't think sony will dominate the way PS2 has (and still does somehow... who is left to buy one?) but they'll still reign at the top of the pile.

i think most people agree the ps3 is an awesome beast of a machine. the issue people have is the pricepoint, and like all technology, that will drop, probably next christmas with Killzone2 and MGS4 in their arsenal (now that GTA is multi-platform). then i'd say all the nay-sayers will sit up and at least consider getting one.

don't get me wrong, i love my 360 but i'm more excited by ps3. and you have to keep in mind, these stupid comments from sony execs don't make it to the mainstream. the vast majority of the 100million+ ps2 owners out there don't have a clue how stupid sony look these days. they're just waiting to play one in the shops, and reluctantly part way with a few months worth of savings...

I see your point that the mainstream won't have taken notice or even heard the stupidity of sony over the last 2 - 3 months but I really hope they take a minute to consider what they are spending €700 plus on.... it's a lot of money to a lot of people yet I can see parents scraping the money together just to please little johnny who really has no idea what he's getting other than it's the next PS...

It's depressing to see people buying a console purely because of who makes it, rather than the games available for it. The same goes for those who buy FIFA 0# beacuse it's got the new united strip in it... lemmings

sprinkles wrote:
    I really hope they take a minute to consider what they are spending €700 plus on.... it's a lot of money to a lot of people yet I can see parents scraping the money together just to please little johnny who really has no idea what he's getting other than it's the next PS...

ha, of course they won't consider it at all. it's a playstation, and they want it. that, i'm afraid, is the mentality of the market. and it's not exclusive to game consoles... it's the same with everything!

i think most people agree the ps3 is an awesome beast of a machine. the issue people have is the pricepoint, and like all technology, that will drop, probably next christmas with Killzone2 and MGS4 in their arsenal (now that GTA is multi-platform). then i'd say all the nay-sayers will sit up and at least consider getting one.

I think there's a problem with that prediction.

Will Sony have lasted to the point that they can afford a price drop?

-At the launch of any console, 3 sort of people buy the console brand new at its selling price.

The rich. People who have money to burn and will to try the *latest thing*

The technological minded sort, People regardless of money to burn want to try the latest *gizmo*

and finally

The Heavy Gamer Someone who adores games and will buy said new console to play new games.

Now Sony have 2 of the above in its pocket, the rich, and technology minded people.

But the third element is the one who has been hit the most with the constant negative news on the PS3.

It has been the Heavy Gamer who has held up the launches and perpetuated of many consoles doomed to never appeal to Joe Soap (Dreamcast, Gamecube etc.) It also the Heavy Gamer who will make Sony its profit as they will buy the most games.

At its launch any console must rely on the established gaming base before attracting others. Even the DS which has exploded into joe soap circles started life clinging the Nintendo bread and water (Mario 64 DS, Warioware etc.)

Joe Soap excells a console at its midlife, when the first price drop comes, this is where joe soap comes in (not the naysayers) they will pick up the PS3 in its millions (if they make them quick enough.)

Thats how it happened with PS1, PS2, Xbox and its how it will happen with the 360 and PS3.

PS2 had a hugely successful launch, but it didnt turn into the golden egg of sony until they did their first price cut (the £199 sterling one I think?) which sent Joe Soap mad for it and it sold out like mad as both a cheap DVD player and a games console.)

But with the PS3, with the Gaming community deeply unsettled by its failure to build real momentum, it might not have the legs to make it to the price drop (unless its very imminant.)

And another element to take in. If PS3 doesnt pick up steam fast enough, developers will start dropping like flies, 50,000 units worldwide at launch, The only developers licking their lips at those numbers are those of games that are garunteed to be bought with the console (ensuring th 50,000 number.) which to be honest looking at the PS3 line up there is no clear winner.

But I'll watch and see how it goes, I've been known to get console predictions wrong (though I was right about the PSP).

But who's been scared off most with the negative news? The gamer, Only the Heavy Gamers who mix with the technology or rich catagories would be likely to purchase

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I think there's a problem with that prediction.

Will Sony have lasted to the point that they can afford a price drop?

-At the launch of any console, 3 sort of people buy the console brand new at its selling price.

The rich. People who have money to burn and will to try the *latest thing*

The technological minded sort, People regardless of money to burn want to try the latest *gizmo*

and finally

The Heavy Gamer Someone who adores games and will buy said new console to play new games.

Now Sony have 2 of the above in its pocket, the rich, and technology minded people.

But the third element is the one who has been hit the most with the constant negative news on the PS3.

It has been the Heavy Gamer who has held up the launches and perpetuated of many consoles doomed to never appeal to Joe Soap (Dreamcast, Gamecube etc.) It also the Heavy Gamer who will make Sony its profit as they will buy the most games.

At its launch any console must rely on the established gaming base before attracting others. Even the DS which has exploded into joe soap circles started life clinging the Nintendo bread and water (Mario 64 DS, Warioware etc.)

Joe Soap excells a console at its midlife, when the first price drop comes, this is where joe soap comes in (not the naysayers) they will pick up the PS3 in its millions (if they make them quick enough.)

Thats how it happened with PS1, PS2, Xbox and its how it will happen with the 360 and PS3.

PS2 had a hugely successful launch, but it didnt turn into the golden egg of sony until they did their first price cut (the £199 sterling one I think?) which sent Joe Soap mad for it and it sold out like mad as both a cheap DVD player and a games console.)

But with the PS3, with the Gaming community deeply unsettled by its failure to build real momentum, it might not have the legs to make it to the price drop (unless its very imminant.)

And another element to take in. If PS3 doesnt pick up steam fast enough, developers will start dropping like flies, 50,000 units worldwide at launch, The only developers licking their lips at those numbers are those of games that are garunteed to be bought with the console (ensuring th 50,000 number.) which to be honest looking at the PS3 line up there is no clear winner.

But I'll watch and see how it goes, I've been known to get console predictions wrong (though I was right about the PSP).

But who's been scared off most with the negative news? The gamer, Only the Heavy Gamers who mix with the technology or rich catagories would be likely to purchase

I think your spot on myself. I can really see developers dropping like flies because they can't produce enough units to have a user base for a mass market game. The first 6 months will be rough at least for PS3 users. Thats when all those hardcore gamers etc.. tell people what they think of PS3 and word of mouth is more powerful than any advertising. If people with PS3's say it isn't that great, Sony aren't going to be in the same position they were with PS2 at the end of this gen.

I can see Wii selling well because it's so cheap that people will consider it good value for money and sing it's praises because the games are fun and will be there from launch and developer support will build up as its cheap to develop for and will have a large user base.

360 is where it is. It'll sell bucket loads at Xmas IMO here as PS3 isn't out and Wii will sell out at launch most likely. 360 will not take Japan though IMO as it seems they just won't buy it.

Advertisement