Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of hiring a DJ?

• 13-10-2006 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a rough idea how much one should pay to hire a DJ for a few hours to play in a pub.

Nothing fancy (not looking for Fatboy Slim!), just someone with at least a little experience who can play general pop/dance music from the 00s, 90s, 80s.

The equipment would all be provided, ready to go, he/she would just need to bring their CDs and do a 3 hour set.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Depends. I do about 3-4 nights a week but my tax is paid for me too. Where are you based first of all. How big is the pub and will there be a decent crowd there?

You won't have to pay any more than 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

50 euro an hour to bring cds and play them, man im in the wrong profession.

And it isn't even my profession. Tis a fun hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

mambo wrote:
    Anyone got a rough idea how much one should pay to hire a DJ for a few hours to play in a pub.

Nothing fancy (not looking for Fatboy Slim!), just someone with at least a little experience who can play general pop/dance music from the 00s, 90s, 80s.

The equipment would all be provided, ready to go, he/she would just need to bring their CDs and do a 3 hour set.

Mate of mine is a general DJ plays all types of music he used to work with FM104 as well he'll do it for about €200 for the nite.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

fade2black wrote:
    Depends. I do about 3-4 nights a week but my tax is paid for me too. Where are you based first of all. How big is the pub and will there be a decent crowd there?

You won't have to pay any more than 150

Dublin city centre, pub would take couple of hundred people.

So if 150 or so is the max, what would be the ballpark minimum, for a DJ with minimal experience? Around 70-80???

• Advertisement

Well you can see from the text about that 150 is not the max. It's the norm. Tell me though, do you really want a DJ with minimal experience? How much would you like to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ask your mates if they know someone.

Paying 150 - 200 euro is crazy for some lad to play a few cds for the night. It is the standard rate though.

Its not rocket science. A dj with little experience would be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Its not just playin' cds youve got to treat the punters nice & know what they want to hear too.

PM sent by the way.

K

TO be honest I'd love to see one of those people say "It's just playin cds" DJ for 4 hours to a crowd of 500 people. You'd appreciate soon enough that there's a little bit more to it. Don't be fooled by a lot of the pub DJs out there at the moment, they put no thought into it at all, and to be honest, pretty much anyone can DJ badly.

And also, good DJs will turn down 90% of the crap that punters will ask for. I've I'm DJing in a club when someone asks for a song I'll always give them a straight answer, if I'm not going to play it, I say no, they call me useless and a fcuking prick and they go on their way. I don't bull**** them. Most of the time I'll say I'll play it, but when the time is right. These girls who want things right now, deserve smacks to the face. And also, if you're in a bar or club, don't ask for some stupid ballad or some grunge song that only you've ever heard of. I'll sometimes surprise people with the stuff I play, and that's part of the enjoyment of the job. A chap came up to me last week and thanked me for playing ODB Shimmy Shimmy Ya....I'm going to look into putting up a banner on the DJ box now...THE DJ DRINKS BEER. ANY BEER. That way if you hear a song you love and you think to yourself...wow that was great, I'd love to thank him...there ya go!!

I played in a bar last night after a band and played a lot of inde classics, then I played America (Razorlight) and to finish off that little segment I turned off the main lights and played fix you....put them back on then to great effect when the guitar and drum bit at the end kicks in. Nobody appreciates these things but they amuse me.

In short, I'm great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

fade2black wrote:
    TO be honest I'd love to see one of those people say "It's just playin cds" DJ for 4 hours to a crowd of 500 people. You'd appreciate soon enough that there's a little bit more to it. Don't be fooled by a lot of the pub DJs out there at the moment, they put no thought into it at all, and to be honest, pretty much anyone can DJ badly.

And also, good DJs will turn down 90% of the crap that punters will ask for. I've I'm DJing in a club when someone asks for a song I'll always give them a straight answer, if I'm not going to play it, I say no, they call me useless and a fcuking prick and they go on their way. I don't bull**** them. Most of the time I'll say I'll play it, but when the time is right. These girls who want things right now, deserve smacks to the face. And also, if you're in a bar or club, don't ask for some stupid ballad or some grunge song that only you've ever heard of. I'll sometimes surprise people with the stuff I play, and that's part of the enjoyment of the job. A chap came up to me last week and thanked me for playing ODB Shimmy Shimmy Ya....I'm going to look into putting up a banner on the DJ box now...THE DJ DRINKS BEER. ANY BEER. That way if you hear a song you love and you think to yourself...wow that was great, I'd love to thank him...there ya go!!

I played in a bar last night after a band and played a lot of inde classics, then I played America (Razorlight) and to finish off that little segment I turned off the main lights and played fix you....put them back on then to great effect when the guitar and drum bit at the end kicks in. Nobody appreciates these things but they amuse me.

In short, I'm great.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

When I was doing it I would be charging about e180-220 depending on whether it was my gear I was using. Some nights I got e100 an hour for playing a few downloaded tracks off a laptop.
    You'd appreciate soon enough that there's a little bit more to it.

Nope, theres not.

fade2black wrote:

In short, I'm great.

When its someones birday you should be playing what he wants played. So Bascially, birthday should knock up a list, then get some lad who has those tracks on cd to play at his birthday. No way in hell should he pay 200euro for some **** to play tracks he mightnt even like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 chalky76

I used too be happy to jump on the wheels of steel for fun(or a couple of doves/apples:D ....)...Never forget playing in someone"s house in Tallaght about 95 at some mad doo full off mad people....Some ugly fat yolke kept knocking the decks table with her oversized arse cheeks & about 100 skangers were going mad every time the record jumped,me copping the flack whilst Mrs Blobby was probably raiding the peoples fridge...Atmosphere was turning nasty(as it allways does after hours in Jobstown) so i fcked off with my choons(amazingly none had gone walkies!) & fcked off into town to the Ormand......Next day the headline in the Herald was shooting at teenagers house party wounds male & female.....I dont know for sure but im defo sure Fatso copped it,either that or they caught her pilfering the peoples fridge..!!;)

There was no mention of any birthdays by the way. Remember though, as much as the birthday boy should have the night tailored for him, it's unlikely that all the guests will share his/her taste in music. You sound like a failed DJ with a grudge chucky...

Budd wrote:
    When I was doing it I would be charging about e180-220 depending on whether it was my gear I was using. Some nights I got e100 an hour for playing a few downloaded tracks off a laptop.

Nope, theres not.

You were probably shite so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

fade2black wrote:
    You were probably shite so.

Well it sounds like the easiest gig in the world tbh,probably playing in some place where the punters didn't even notice.(or thought they were too cool)
    I thought the whole concept of hiring a Dj was to trust him/her with the choice of music & maybe suggest a few songs??
    Otherwise it's load up the ipod stick it in the amp & shuffle!!

It's the easiest job in the world to do poorly. I'm not trying to say it's anything too intricite or anything like that but you really can't comment until you DJ in a club in front of 500+ people. There is a pressure there and the next song has to be as good as the previous one. The wrong choice will clear a dance floor and you probably won't get a chance to try again.

Pub DJing is a little easier but still it helps to have some fluidity in a night's music.

fade2black wrote:
    There was no mention of any birthdays by the way. Remember though, as much as the birthday boy should have the night tailored for him, it's unlikely that all the guests will share his/her taste in music. You sound like a failed DJ with a grudge chucky...

Well i presumed it was a birthday

haha, yea, i wasnt good enough to play a load of cheese in some nightclub. Heartbroken i was. It was so difficult like, picking a song as good as the last one.

Wow, incredible skills.

lol

Is this what your like in real life too? I'd say you're a hoot to be around.

the life and soul of every party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Thread locked too much sniping and baiting for my liking

Chucky and Fade, no more of this stuff please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement