Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom Safe to get

Options
  • 13-10-2006 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

So I am thinking of checking out Smart Telecom. Their deals are better than any other ISP I have looked at. Anyone think this would be a bad idea considering their recent problems ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

No. I doubt you will see that kind of issue again.

Their BB is very good price / spec though I have never used it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

paulm17781 wrote:
    No. I doubt you will see that kind of issue again.

Their BB is very good price / spec though I have never used it.

As a Smart BB customer I agree totally:)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Make sure they're available in your area, not up in mine:cool: 3meg BB and line rental for 35 euro sounds as good a deal as anything else out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

does anyone know how to choose the package for 35 including line rental, when I do the line check after on "Yes, sign me up today" on the next page accept the T&C's, but on the next page the Broadband Package is "Broadband Plus (€45.99)"

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

hi,

I was going to get smart too, despite the recent problems - but some friends called over to the house last night and told me that their internet had been cut and phone calls in and out had been cut. this is on smart.

how do i know i won't be subjected to this a week or two down the line?!

or that i'll even be able to get smart broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Kopf wrote:
    I was going to get smart too, despite the recent problems - but some friends called over to the house last night and told me that their internet had been cut and phone calls in and out had been cut. this is on smart.

how do i know i won't be subjected to this a week or two down the line?!

They were most likely cut for another reason. The Eirscum disconnections have stopped. Look at the Smart webiste. Broadband will not be effected by this issue again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

paulm17781 wrote:
    They were most likely cut for another reason. The Eirscum disconnections have stopped. Look at the Smart webiste. Broadband will not be effected by this issue again.

sweet!

thanks for the info. they've got the best packages out there, so this is great news. hope they can keep their heads above the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well im using it now and theres no problem :D its a great deal though i have to admit i dont know if theyre doing the free line rental anymore. it was meant to be for the first 100k customers and they only have 17k so it should still be running. that said im broadband only, no phone or calls so if you need telephony theyre not the best company to choose, but the new deal means the broadbands secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

HI

Amate of mine got his BB cut during the week too and he rang the smart desk and they re - signed his contract there and then over the phone where they used his voice recording on the call as a signiture for another 12 months on the contract.

The bonus to the whole thing was they told him they will upgrade his BB only package to a 6MB connection free of charge for the hassle that was caused.

now thats sweet

plus i dont think that they will be folding anytime soon not with the 3g licence case still to be decided (AFAIK)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

I just wish they were available where I am I would sign up in a heartbeat best offer out there
    And the added bonus that it would be supporting a company that eircom tried to put out of business

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Plus they have direct access to their support via the Smart forums which is a great feature and pretty rare (with the exception of Carl at UTV) afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane™

I just signed up with smart after that fiasco, eircom don't deserve my money.

If smart do go bust down the road I would think another company would buy all the hardware and the contracts, it only makes sense.

I'm not connected yet, but I don't think I'll have to wait too long, I wouldn't think they're busy with installs

They really do have the best deal, but be careful they try sell the BB plus plan as default, ringing customer services for connection is the best idea IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭pauldave

I'm not connected yet, but I don't think I'll have to wait too long, I wouldn't think they're busy with installs

They really do have the best deal, but be careful they try sell the BB plus plan as default, ringing customer services for connection is the best idea IMO

The problem with the wait is not with smart but with eircom not wanting to let go of your line. This is the problem that smart had from day one. along with the number porting bullsh!t that eircom go on with.
    It really is worth the wait and the change of number at the moment im on 6mb (3mb + 3mb for hassle) for €35 a month inc vat thats including my line rental. so it works out about €11 a month if you consider that eircom are charging €24 just for the line..... €11 a month for 6mb broadband now thats smart.
    I dont know anyone thats not happy with the service from smart. They are head and shoulders above eircom.
    And i can't recommend them strongly enough.
    that said im broadband only, no phone or calls so if you need telephony they're not the best company to choose, but the new deal means the broadbands secure.

That's misleading ........ there is nothing wrong with the telephony they provide. I have never had a problem until eircom cut off my incoming calls. That was eircoms fault nothing wrong with my ability to make calls just eircoms network wouldn't connect the calls made from their network to the smart network but smarts network was working perfectly all the time. And yes they are every bit as good if not better ( and cheaper than eircom ) as any of the other service providers for telephony as long as you are a broadband customer.
    They have only stopped reselling eircom services that is what most of the other service providers are doing ie UTV, BT, NEWTEL, PRELICO etc and now they are only selling their own EXCELLENT product.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Are they available in Glasnevin/Finglas? How long do they take to install ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tusky wrote:
    Are they available in Glasnevin/Finglas? How long do they take to install ?

It took 4 weeks for an Eircom engineer to come out and sort my line, after that it took Smart just 6 hours to ready everything at the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Spear wrote:
    It took 4 weeks for an Eircom engineer to come out and sort my line, after that it took Smart just 6 hours to ready everything at the exchange.

So If im moving in in 3 weeks should I ring now ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tusky wrote:
    So If im moving in in 3 weeks should I ring now ?

They run remote line checks first, so you'll probably want to ring Smart first and get their opinion which is going to be a lot more authoritative than mine. But I got connected only 4 weeks ago, got my free 3 meg upgrade now, and I heartily recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

If you have phoneline with eircom right now, make sure you fill in the switch form EXACTLY as eircom have your details - spelling mistakes included.
    eircom will reject any application which does not match their records down to rogue fullstops...Smart BB is a very good service - enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭dezine

well I havent had the same luck that u other people seem to have had, it took 4 months for me to get connected after aggreeing the deal got charged for 1 of the months I wasn't connected, had it 3 weeks and was then disconnected got onto their Tech Supp was reassured I would be bak up within a week 2 weeks ago and still havent been reconnected, oh yeah and they tried to say the problem was on my side and I had to bring home a phone from work to test the line before they admitted I'd been disconnected. Have now switched to Magnet and found them far more professional to deal with - much same deal but with free wireless router which u hav to pay for with Smart as only the line one comes free.. think comreg has a lot to answer for for allowing eircom to monopolise the line rental meaning all these other companies have to thru them..

Advertisement