Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how stupid can you get

Options
  • 13-10-2006 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Motorists to get fines refunded over N1 speed limit blunder
    13/10/2006 - 10:44:11

Hundreds of motorists fined for speeding in Co Louth look to be in line for refunds due to a mix-up over speed limits.

The motorists are also expected to have penalty points removed from their licences as a result of the blunder.

The move follows the discovery that local gardaí were unaware that the speed limit on the old N1 north of Drogheda from Monasterboice to Killineer was raised from 80km/h to 100km/h at the end of April.

Gardaí estimate around 300 drivers have been affected and approximately €24,000 in fines will have to be repaid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Who would you say is stupider? The Gardaí for not knowning the speed limit had changed, or the 300 motorists for paying a fine for a law they hadn't broken?

One would wonder why none to the 300 motorists didn't check to see if they had actaully broken the speed limit before paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Bluetonic wrote:
    Who would you say is stupider? The Gardaí for not knowning the speed limit had changed, or the 300 motorists for paying a fine for a law they hadn't broken?

normally one would pay a fine or summons when it arrives because its two points... question it and its four... that is the way the system is set up.
    and have you ever told a gardai he/she is wrong, its not a good idea not a good idea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That's nuts! Did the local council tell the Gardai it had changed? Or were the Gardai asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

normally one would pay a fine or summons when it arrives because its two points... question it and its four... that is the way the system is set up.
    and have you ever told a gardai he/she is wrong, its not a good idea not a good idea at all.

I know the way the system is setup.

I would go by the presumption that at least some of the drivers were travelling between 80 kmph and 100kmph becasue they were were aware the speed limit was 100kmph and as such when given the fine would have questioned it as they knew they had broken no speed limit.

Obviously I am being a bit naive, driving and drivers have really gone to the dogs and a lot of them aren't aware of the rules which govern the roads they drive on.

have you ever told a gardai he/she is wrong, its not a good idea not a good idea at all.

Have done, but I could thick for Ireland at the best of times, so the poor sod hadn't a chance (he was on a power trip, which is something I can't abide. Also, I knew that I had done nothing wrong, and that everything with the car was A-OK, which gave me an edge!).

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote:
    Have done, but I could thick for Ireland at the best of times, so the poor sod hadn't a chance (he was on a power trip, which is something I can't abide. Also, I knew that I had done nothing wrong, and that everything with the car was A-OK, which gave me an edge!).

Well your braver that i am, i did it once, he held me at the side of the road for an hour, then let me go on my way after finding nothing he could do me for...or maybe I'm blowing my own trumpet here...it might of been his shift was coming to an end and that's why he let me go.

TBH, I only do it when I'm 110% sure I'm in the right (which isn't often!!!).

In this case, it was New Years Eve and they light up the blue lights after sitting behind me at traffic lights for about 30 second. I pulled into an area just beyond the lights (outside the fire station in Galway heading toward Salthill for anyone who knows it), and they pulled in behind me and attempted to do me for running a red light (I've always understood that you're supposed to make way for emergency vehicles if it was safe to do so). The Garda passenger (unmarked car) rubbed me the wrong way with his attitude, and I lost the plot. I could see his driver cringing at one stage. What really boiled my blood was them ignoring 3 taxis that blatantly ran the red light whilst we were stopped!

End of rant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The majority of the "nice" Gardaí never make it out of the station while all the Wan**rs are let loose on our roads

Fey! wrote:
    TBH, I only do it when I'm 110% sure I'm in the right (which isn't often!!!).

In this case, it was New Years Eve and they light up the blue lights after sitting behind me at traffic lights for about 30 second. I pulled into an area just beyond the lights (outside the fire station in Galway heading toward Salthill for anyone who knows it), and they pulled in behind me and attempted to do me for running a red light (I've always understood that you're supposed to make way for emergency vehicles if it was safe to do so). The Garda passenger (unmarked car) rubbed me the wrong way with his attitude, and I lost the plot. I could see his driver cringing at one stage. What really boiled my blood was them ignoring 3 taxis that blatantly ran the red light whilst we were stopped!

End of rant!!!

ya i know the area and know those lights.
    well all i can say is fair dues to ya and well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Well your braver that i am, i did it once, he held me at the side of the road for an hour, then let me go on my way after finding nothing he could do me for...or maybe I'm blowing my own trumpet here...it might of been his shift was coming to an end and that's why he let me go.

God, you make me laugh. Most of your posts consist of having a go at the Gardai. Did you ever, maybe just this once, think that there could have been a cock up in the communications from the council to the guards?

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder from some previous experience with the force. Get over it.

• Advertisement

hawker wrote:

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder from some previous experience with the force. Get over it.

at least you realize that my chip like everybody else's is as you rightly say because of previous experiences and not just over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ninty9er wrote:
    The majority of the "nice" Gardaí never make it out of the station while all the Wan**rs are let loose on our roads
    I've been pulled for speeding more times than I can remember over the years. With one or two exceptions, the Gardaí couldn't have been nicer about it. It's all down to your attitude, in my experience.

Anan1 wrote:
    It's all down to your attitude, in my experience.

change the record will ya... that argument is getting just a little boring now.

what if one was to use the argument "your attitude is down to the way they treat you when stopped after all they are the ones doing all the talking first" which thinking of it now make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Generally if you are nice to them, they will be nice to you, such is the way with most people, and gardaí are people.

Your qoute "your attitude is down to the way they treat you when stopped after all they are the ones doing all the talking first" is flawed insofar as it is you, and not them who stands to loose the most from a disagreement; it is the same reason why lawyers are always courtious to judges even when they are being awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As is yours, with all due respect.
    what if one was to use the argument "your attitude is down to the way they treat you when stopped after all they are the ones doing all the talking first" which thinking of it now make more sense.
    When stopped, I speak first. I'm not sure what you do or have done when stopped, but the fact is that they're almost always very decent to me. Why do you think that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

In my experience of being stopped by the Garda, they sometimes say something provocative as an opening gambit, and then depending on your reaction they decide what kind of treatment you will get!
    I always try to be very polite and aggree with everything they say, and let the solicitors find the loopholes (if any exist).
    Although most are very professional and polite, I have meet some complete W**k*rs!!!

maidhc wrote:

Your qoute "your attitude is down to the way they treat you when stopped after all they are the ones doing all the talking first" is flawed insofar as it is you, and not them who stands to loose the most from a disagreement; it is the same reason why lawyers are always courtious to judges even when they are being awkward.

jjjjjjjeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzuuuuuuussssssss are in support of my post or against...
    because you right in everything you say, everything. you are the one to loose more that's why everybody i know including myself are courteous to the point of almost giving them head...because as you so rightly say you have more to loose than them, nobody i know ever greets a guard with an attitude...

and as you rightly say "it is the same reason why lawyers (driver) are always courteous to judges (guards) even when they are being awkward."

man oh man thank you... i could not have put it better mtself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

because you right in everything you say, everything. you are the one to loose more that's why everybody i know including myself are courteous to the point of almost giving them head...because as you so rightly say you have more to loose than them, nobody i know ever greets a guard with an attitude...

I got the impression from your posts that you were a bit more stand-offish. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It says on RTE Aertel that the council decided to raise the limit but forgot to change the signs from 80 to 100 km/h. Therefore anyone caught speeding would have been ignoring the posted limit anyway. It would have been a different scenario had the council erected the 100 km/h sighs and the Gardai ignored them.

I'd blame the council more than the Gardai for this mixup, if a garda sees a sign erected by the council which says 80 km/h it would be reasonable to assume that that is the actual speed limit (unless it's a roadworks or temp speed limit etc.)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

back on topic - start a new thread if you want to discuss how best to talk to a garda!

Aas for the original topic, it sounds like the counci were at fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement