Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Timber flooring...squeaking...help!!!!

Options
  • 13-10-2006 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi

We moved into our new house recently and have timber flooring in 9 rooms and over all the upstairs landing. We have red oak for the most part but also have walnut. cherry and maple....now it's the pre finished maple that is driving us crazy!! We have it in our bedroom and it is squeaking every time you put a foot to the floor. It's driving us demented as it's in our bedroom and when our child even walks into the room it squeaks, when you get up to go to the ensuite etc etc. Rest of the house we have the odd squeak but nothing like this. It is SO ANNOYING. We have given it time to adjust, heat has been on etc. Fitter did a fine job throughout the house so we can't understand why this is any different?? He says it may be the varnish on the prefinished maple that might be causing it. He is being very helpful. It's a Canadia floor.
    Anyone with similar problems, suggestions, solutions PLEASE PLEASE????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 furni

How was it fitted, was it nailed down or is it a floating floor.

Thanks,
    Richard
    www.furniture.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response. It was nailed. Any ideas?

it appears your floor has dried out a little since it was laid, it means the nails has lost some of their grip and allowing mevement when you walk, I have plugged and screwed a creaky floor with good effect but I would recommend cautions been taken brfore you do this as you could ruin the floor.

Thanks,
    Richard
    www.furniture.ie

Thanks for advice Richard. All the expansion joints have disappeared so you could have the answer. The fitter has offered to come back and re-fit it. He is very reputable and got a lot of work from us so I guess he wants us to be happy. Canadia didn't want to know about the problem but I have to say Mulveys in Ranelagh where we bought the flooring from have been EXCELLENT and have offered to give us a couple of packs of the maple free so that when the fitter takes up the floor and re-fits it that we will have enough timber. They are giving us the timber free of charge which is really good customer service I think. Any ideas Richard for the re-fit in order to prevent this happening again? Cheers.

try and have the timber places in the room environment for a couple of weeks to let it adjust to the room, that way when it is laid it should not move much and remain sound free.

Thanks,
    Richard
    www.furniture.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks Richard we were just coming to same conclusion last night.
    BTW ..thanks to your signature I checked out your site...brilliant...just what I need to get furniture for the new house. Hadn't heard of you before...are you new? Hope to do some serious shopping as a result. I'll blame you for visa balance next month! Do most of the retailers you deal with deliver nationwide, sell over the net etc?

We are releatively new, have being building up the site for some time now. Some retailer may deliver nationwide, online selling is only beginning to come into furniture at the moment so I expect a lot of developments over the next year.

Feedback on Furniture.ie always welcome.

Thanks,
    Richard
    www.furniture.ie

Advertisement