Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet crashing laptop

Options
  • 13-10-2006 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone knew the possible cause of this. My friends laptop crashes when connection to the ethernet network in one college building. (Totally freezing now with no recovery but a cold restart, not just a tcp/ip crash) But it only happens in this building, it works fine in any other building. Any ideas whats causing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

The most likely cause is a worm on that segment that's attacking known vulnerabilities on the OS on that laptop. Does he have a firewall installed? That should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I'll give that a shot alright. I thought it would have been more a hardware problem from the router maybe like unusual voltages. I know from experience for example that if say a USB device causes a short or too much current is applied to the port, the machine can hang.

Advertisement