Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Average Yearly Mileage

Options
  • 13-10-2006 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Had a bit of an argument with my bro last night about average mileage ( I know different circumstances and situtations affect each persons mileage). I said I think it would be about 11k per year he said he thinks its closer to 6k. I dont know if there is an official figure but what do you guys think.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

11-12k is about average, 6k would be somone on a school/shopping run only!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I had assumed it was something like:

14K - Petrol
    25K - Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Average petrol car mileage is 12k miles pa. Average diesel mileage is around 20k miles pa.

A person doing 6k miles a year seriously needs to think about swapping it for a mountain bike imo. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

bazz26 wrote:
    Average petrol car mileage is 12k miles pa. Average diesel mileage is around 20k miles pa.

A person doing 6k miles a year seriously needs to think about swapping it for a mountain bike imo. :D

Yep thats what I thought!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I do 25k. Must get a diesel...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

1,000 miles a month, ie 12,000 a year is considered to be average.

Figures recently released from the NCT show that the average annual mileage in Ireland is about 9,500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

35K. Thank jebus for diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When buying a car, I think most people measure its mileage against an average of around 10,000 - 12,000. I would say this average actually increases as time goes on and people do longer and longer commutes.

14,000 a year would works out at close to fourty miles per day, per person. A significant proportion of people wouldn't drive much further than the local shops and the local school in any given day though.

My average works out at around 5k, simply because my commute is minimal (and when I'm doing long commutes into the city I don't take the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I do about the 12k mark, and I live about 3 miles from work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

seamus wrote:
    My average works out at around 5k,
    I'm not too much worse, about 7K. Live about 6 miles from work and just spinning around at the weekend on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

my average is bout 250per day.and dats just spining around :( ok not every day.but i average at least 1000 a week.thank feck im not driving that long.must cut down.i think thats the reason new to driving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Averaging about 1400 miles/week at the moment in a 25mpg diesel landcruiser :o

My mother does about 6k miles/year

Father does about 9k miles/year

I used to do around 15k miles/year

I think car mags use an average of between 10k and 12k for depreciation stats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fey! wrote:
    I do about the 12k mark, and I live about 3 miles from work!!!
    In the early 1990s, I lived in my workplace and still managed 25,000 miles per year (and my job didn't involve driving).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Our car has gone up 10K since April when I started driving. Not bad for our 3rd car

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Done about 3k since I got the new car in the middle of August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

8 to 9k a year over last 7 years .... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would do 8-10k a year and if I was buying a car I'd like a car with an average of 10k a year or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

bought jeep in april 17500 miles at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

testicle wrote:
    I do 25k. Must get a diesel...

Ive done 26k since the middle of Feb alone.....

Oh wait i do drive a diesel, thank goodness for Tesco Dundrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

1.2k since I got my car at the start of september

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Was 107,500kms on my 3 year old Primera when I crashed it 3 weeks ago.
    Averaging 32-35,000/year.

I loved that car :(

Advertisement