Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Audio Cable

Options
  • 13-10-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I need to run audio cable from a source to my amp on the far side of a room. I'm going to have to run the cable around the walls to avoid cable going straight across the room. The output from the source is standard Red/White audio jacks as is the input I need to connect it to on my amp.

I'm trying to find the best option for doing it. Should I be trying to find a really long cable like this or can I get standard speaker wire with the relevant jacks on both ends? I think the full cable would be a bulky option....

Any thoughts on what to do and where to get what I'd need to do it?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How about CAT 5 UTP ?

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

i was wondering about those setups too, i've heard of cat 5 being used in a number of long distance a/v setups but i always thought they had some sort of convertor at either end.

But from one of those links I see (from what i understand) they used say 4 cat 5 cables for 12 gauge, by simply twisting 2 wires together, the theory being because the cable is thin the data(signal) travels better than thickj wires because of copper not being a superconductor.

Am I right in this thinking? Have you used this before Zen?

So at either end you would use say a basic phono connector( or twisted +/-) like so http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=Phono%20Connectors&ModuleNo=1003&doy=14m10
    fk18u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hi Brav,

No, I haven't tried it personally, but reports on the 'net are that it works quite well. If you treat the audio as simply a signal like, for example, the carrier sent by an ethernet card then you can see why it works. Ethernet used to be sent over coax which is of similar construction to audio screened cables. I believe it's even possible to send both L and R channels in the same cable.

There are systems available to allow CAT5 be used for distances over several Km, these use Baluns to give a balanced signal for noise immunity. Many structured wiring systems in building no linger use coax for cameras, they simply have a balun at each end of a CAT5 cable. The twist in twised pair is the important bit. these twists are what offer noise imminity.

If you decide to try this out let us know.

E&OE

ZEN

Advertisement