Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone had a mouse?!

Options
  • 13-10-2006 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit concerned because I think we may have a mouse. Not 100% sure but the dog was sniffing around the presses and went ballistic when I put him in the other room. Then sitting in the kitchen in silence I heard a squeaky noise and some movement. :eek:

Don't like posting this really it's a bit embarrasing but I keep my house clean and I'm in a three bed semi so I'm backed against another house and I don't know how it could have gotten in. Still not sure it is a mouse though. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hey Foxy!

Yep...plenty of people have had a mouse! When we first moved in mid-2004 we heard people across the way had some mice. This happens when you build a house on top of there home (a field).

We have cats anyway and dihaven't had any mice however only recently one of our cats brought in a live mouse and taunted it for a for hours (it was like they were playing with each other - entertaining!). Found it dead the day after...its heart probably gave way!

Recommendations? Get a cat!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Yep we had them too when we moved in first. They seemed to be camping under the sink. We got an ultra-sound repellant (under €20 from woodies) and they were gone pretty quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

If you check back through the old threads theres one there on mice. Loads of people have had them and its just cos Charlesland is built on old farmland so theres many evicted tiny field mice looking for a new home ;) They can fit through anywhere you can put a BIC biro in so are pretty much impossible to keep out!!

I had 2 in my house and put traps down (would recommend chocolate in them) and I caught 2 within about 48 hours. (Not that I condone traps, I just found them the most convenient)

Then I bought one of those plug-in sonic devices (you get them in B&Q / Woodies etc and they send a pulse through all the housing electrics that disturbs the mice and stops them nesting). That was about 5 or 6 months ago and I've had none since.

If theres mice already there the sonic thing wont help, you need to catch those ones, but it prevents any more from nesting/staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Right so better get on of those sonic thingys. Really thought I was the only one! Not even sure about the mouse anyway so I'll get that thing first and if I'm still suspicious I'll get some traps or something. Thanks guys thats very reassuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Foxy,
    Just one thing......there's NEVER just one mouse!
    I think when they find a nice warm house to live in, they invite their family and friends around for a house warming party. Some of them decide to stay (afterall, it's rent free), so if you've seen or heard one of them, you can be sure thare's more around somewhere.
    Also, as it's getting cold now, they're looking for warmth, so it's probably better not to leave doors wide open as that's just the invitation they're loooking for.
    One silver lining to having mice is that apparently they won't co-habit with rats, so as long as you have mice, there's no chance of getting rats!!!
    Best oif luck anyway :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

hey folks,
    when we moved into our 2 bed apartment in the wood in May 05 we caught not on, or two mice, but seven!
    some advice - don't buy mouse traps in woodies, they are rubbish and would need a large dog stepping on them to set them off.
    the best ones were the traditional wooden ones from tesco with "lucifer" or something like that branded on them. watch out though, they are really sensitive and really hurt when they close on your finger!
    godd luck with the hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

One of my cats presented Wifey with a dead rat last night. I would advise keeping doors closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

We had them last year, caught about 7 of the little beggers. A few weeks ago we could hear them scampering in the attic whilst we were in bed. I've put some poison down but they havent gone near it. Reckon I'm going to go all out and lace the place with traps. It took us ages to rid of them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

We had around 12 when we moved in. Make sure you keep the doors closed this time of year, they'll all be looking for Winter accommodation around now and with the amount of building in the area there's sure to be 000's of mice.

Also, be warned - don't use poison, my parents had a rat problem and used poison. They took the poison and ended up dead and decomposed under the floorboards. Horrible experience and it took months to clear the smell, never mind the flies that appeared the following summer! Better to use traps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

foxy06 wrote:
    I'm a bit concerned because I think we may have a mouse. Not 100% sure but the dog was sniffing around the presses and went ballistic when I put him in the other room. Then sitting in the kitchen in silence I heard a squeaky noise and some movement. :eek:

Don't like posting this really it's a bit embarrasing but I keep my house clean and I'm in a three bed semi so I'm backed against another house and I don't know how it could have gotten in. Still not sure it is a mouse though. :(

Its a mouse....there are at least 2 penthouse apartments that have them over in Seabourne/Fairways. If they can get upstairs in the apartments then sure, ground level house is no problem:(

WHat sort of dog do you have? A terrier is it? Fair dinkums to him for fishing him out.

Standard traps are best...this ultrasound garbage merely forces him into someone elses place...and as soon as you turn the machine off it comes back again, now having multiplied 5 houses down:eek:

Superquinn are flogging the trad wooden trap, its great cos you just pick the whole kit and kabooodle up and drop it in the bin. But if your dog gets it first he will eat it out of the trap, I promise.

• Advertisement

It's a Cavalier King Charles that has never been properly trained so I'm delighted he let us know about the mouse think it's gone now we did get one of those electric things because I just wanted him/them gone because it/they were in the room right beside my kids bedroom and it freaked me out! And they started eating the chocolates I had hidden away in that room for holloween!

Mullie wrote:
    We had around 12 when we moved in. Make sure you keep the doors closed this time of year, they'll all be looking for Winter accommodation around now and with the amount of building in the area there's sure to be 000's of mice.

Also, be warned - don't use poison, my parents had a rat problem and used poison. They took the poison and ended up dead and decomposed under the floorboards. Horrible experience and it took months to clear the smell, never mind the flies that appeared the following summer! Better to use traps.

Why did your parents eat the poison??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

IT Loser wrote:

ROFL :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

IT Loser wrote:

PRICELESS :D

Ha!:D

Surprised the Mods didn't edit the post in case your still-living parents got offended.:mad:

Anyways...I aim to please.

Had another chat with my neighbour....he says that some of the lower floor apartments are INFESTED..he's talking7,8 at a time.

Some free advice folks...stay out of the Fairways, not all its cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 skeeterdom

Try pushing steel wool (pot scrubbers) under the skirting boards and around the cavities in the back of the kitchen presses and drawers, then gaffa tape. The tape alone wont keep them out but they hate steel wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

IT Loser wrote:
    Surprised the Mods didn't edit the post in case your still-living parents got offended.:mad:

You have a problem with the moderating here, take it to feedback and/or PM myself or MikeDragon32. You're lucky not to have been temp banned for the comments you have been making today.

eoin_s wrote:
    You have a problem with the moderating here, take it to feedback and/or PM myself or MikeDragon32. You're lucky not to have been temp banned for the comments you have been making today.

You could have PM'd me with this message...now this has NOTHING to do with Mice. Please stay ON TOPIC.;)

In the meantime it seems that this issue was raised by Fairways/Seabourne people at the AGM {which was a total washout apparently} and it seems that just about everybody has a gripe over mice, which Zapi/Wyse don't give two hoots bout. I say send the dead mice into Wyse.

Advertisement