Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving into Galway

Options
  • 13-10-2006 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Galway Corporation changed the Dublin Road 50km speed limit to apply as far as the Blackrock Clinic roundabout at the city end of the Oranmore dual carraigeway (moved at least a mile and 3 junctions - used to be outside Supermacs and Merlin Park Hospital) - the problem is you can barely see the 50 sign as you're coming off the roundabout!

This has been changed for several weeks now but, despite having an eye open for it, I only spotted the sign last week (I normally drive that road in the dark).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Galway Corporation don't give a rats ass for motorists, road users or pedestrians and the sooner you adopt a Mad Max attitude to them the better. The Tuam road is getting new white lines and traffic is forced to drive on the hard shoulder - fine if you drive a Touareg but I've nearly fallen off my bike twice in the last week on the crap surface.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I have to agree with you 'cptr; just look at the general condition of the road surfaces around the city, and those huge speedbumps they placed in Eyre Square. Then there are the new lines on the road outside Monroes on Dominic St; who the hell has right of way there now, the people coming from the Henry St direction, or the people turning from Ravens Terrace?

I have to admit to being biased - I have a lot of issues with Galway Corporation, one of which is the non-enforcement of the clearway on Cross St which affects business' in that part of the town, the bags of rubbish strewn around often not collected until noon, and their treatment of people who try to improve the look of the town.

Am I ranting unfairly??? Sorry, folks!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd love to know what they're drinking in the office when they start messing with roads around town. They seem to have purchased a few dozen sets of traffic lights from some bloke in a pub and are now trying there best to stick them up in the most idiotic locations around town.

2 sets within 120 meters on Merchants road? The sets at Garveys corner of Eyre Square? The ones for the turn off to the Oranmore coast road? The new set on Taylors Hill by the school? Tell me these aren't the actions of a drunk trying hard to destroy the evidence.

Sneaky one with changing the limit on the Dublin road, but I think that the dualer out there is now the Dublin road as far as they're concerned. All part of the outer ring road plan y'see. But it's pretty hard to have a ring when it stops at Menlo Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I had forgotten about the lights at Garveys! For those unfamiliar with the place, Eyre Square recently turned from what was essentially a "squareabout" into a 2-way-ish traffic system. However, there are several new sets of pedestrian traffic lights, but they're set up so that while one lane is on a pedestrian red, the other is on a green, comes around the corner, and can't see the red on time as they're concentrating on a corner where people traditionally jaywalk!

Attached is a REALLY bad map to give ye an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Seen the traffic in the last few mornings Fey...Glad I moved out...:) It takes people longer in the morning to get from Newcastle to Renmore...than it does for me to get into the city. And that's includes the Claregalway bottleneck...And its worse on the Dublin Rd...Time to buy a chopper me thinks...

• Advertisement
Advertisement