Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most rewarding skill that you felt left an impression on your 2/3 yearOld

Options
  • 13-10-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,343 ✭✭✭✭

What is the most rewarding activity/skill that you felt left an impression on your 2-3 year old?

We are fairly laid back parents and have given up reading books about what our son should be able to do for his age etc. However it is amazing what they absorb especially from 2 onwards. My wife for instance is German and DS (Aged 2) can instantly switch from speaking English to speaking German depending on who is talking to him. Another activity is swimming which he seems to have a lot of fun with. Nana started with the numbers and letters and although he knows most of them as labels am wondering if there is any point to this at his age.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 daramwalsh

Well, this isn't entirely relevant to just 2/3 year old.. but we did sign language with our now 2.5 year old. We started when he was about 8months old and signed back first words in the following months. He still uses the signs now to help him when his language as he is still perfecting his speech.. and he now uses a combination of the signs and speech.

it was really rewarding and absolutely facinating seeing what these young kids are thinking. I remember one time we had done some finger painting with him, he couldn't have been more than a year old and he was telling me the painting he did was of flowers.

have a 6month old we plan to do the same with..
    see www.sign2me.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm with daramwalsh...we taught/teach our kids to sign & I'd say the look on my sons face first time he managed to tell me what he wanted even tho he didn't know the words when he was 14months or so has yet to be surpassed...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Spent ages teaching my son from the age of three to count in English and Irish and learn his alphabet but now he has started school I've realised I was doing it all wrong! I should have been teaching him the sounds of the letters rather than the actual name of the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

The best things to teach a three year old are washing up and tidying the space around them. This can lead to good long term organisational habits.

Also at this point when they do want to help LET THEM because you lay a pattern where helpig becomes the norm and though 3 year olds are pretty useless even 7 year olds aren't ;)

The main thing I would reccomend is time alone to develop concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

would agree with the last post Iv'e been teaching my boys to tidy up after themselves for ages and thought it would always be a struggle but they do it now without me having to ask!

• Advertisement
Advertisement