Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Games with Eurogamer

Options
  • 13-10-2006 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Great idea and there's a some good games in there too. Wonder how popular it'll be...

link

What with Xbox live arcade and the new wii virtual console I think this is how we could be buying all our games in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

So just to clarify, you pay 13pounds a month and you download / install as many games as you want? But as soon as you unsubscribe you can't access the installed games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I was wondering about that. It must be the case as surely you could subscribe for a month, download everything and then unsubscribe.....

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Well then its useless.......

Steam FTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sprinkles is just bitter that steam & his computer were never best of friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Back in the days of dial up...... my christmas present of HL2 turned into a nightmare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

conzymaher wrote:
    Steam FTW :)

qft

steam started a bit rocky but it's the only service a really trust right now... and if lots of people start moving in on steams territory it's only going to make the market muddled, and force people away from digital distribution (of course this wont be the case on the consoles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Looks pretty nifty, although I still prefer Steam. That whole not being able to play the games if you cancel is a bit crap though.
    Maybe if they were to incorporate something along the lines where if you cancel, you can still play the games provided you pay a certain amount for the game. Price could be reduced considering you've already payed 13 quid.
    Plenty of faults in that idea, but something could be pulled out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Cool pc rental game's great idea i have so many pc's game's iv never replayed its unreal

bizmark wrote:
    Cool pc rental game's great idea i have so many pc's game's iv never replayed its unreal

Rofl, can't believe I never thought of it as that. :o
    In such a case, it's a very good idea. Except for me. Download Far Cry on 512kb/s takes ~350 minutes, on 64kb/s it'd take...uhh, well let's just say it'd be moving into days for the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Spike wrote:
    Rofl, can't believe I never thought of it as that. :o
    In such a case, it's a very good idea. Except for me. Download Far Cry on 512kb/s takes ~350 minutes, on 64kb/s it'd take...uhh, well let's just say it'd be moving into days for the units.

heh ;p your all to used to buying pc game's rather than renting personally i find this service very interesting i could download art of war finish it delete and download freelancer play through get rid of it on and on all for only 13 euro a month and if some game i downloaded sucks just pick another cant get better than that.

As for your download speed it says they use some sort of streming technology so you don’t need the game fully downloaded which is cool.

• Advertisement

Yeah but streaming stuff never seems to work for me. Maybe I'm just too impatient. Course this might work, I shall have a look see when I've a spare 13 bucks floating about.
    I am too used to buying pc games tbh, I can honestly say I've never rented any game (not being able to find anywhere that rents pc games aside) on any platform. Closest I've gotten is playing a demo.

I have now changed my stance towards this from "hmmm" to "woo!". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

There's a few games I wouldn't mind trying, missing a 'killer app' though.

Cool service all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Spot the publishers they ahve signed up?

Budget title lot, Codemasters, Eidos and Msft

Check out Conflict Global Storm in a 4 player coop game, its rather good fun.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

I personally love Direct2Drive's system. Pay, and download. Simple. Like Steam, but without the lame ass updates..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

digital distribution
    Will someone forgodsake put an end to this most ridiculous of buzz-phrases. As if CDs aren't digital. Or floppy disks. Or even spectrum tapes, for that matter. It's a stupid term and we've got to stop it, for the sake of society, before it's too late!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not nearly as bad a podcast. *vomit*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Balfa wrote:
    Will someone forgodsake put an end to this most ridiculous of buzz-phrases. As if CDs aren't digital. Or floppy disks. Or even spectrum tapes, for that matter. It's a stupid term and we've got to stop it, for the sake of society, before it's too late!

Manually distributed as opposed to digitally distributed. Its not the content that it phrases it the delivery :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

KdjaCL wrote:
    Manually distributed as opposed to digitally distributed
    What he said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Balfa wrote:

...why? that's EXACTLY what it is. in this case we're on about games, but itunes etc. are also means of digital distribution. hell, steam plans to move into music/movies in the near future

Advertisement