Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet and Contention

Options
  • 13-10-2006 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Reading an article in todays Irish Times about competition (or lack of) and the CEO of Magnet claims that their service is uncontended, unlike eircoms and others.

I'm guessing here, but I presume he is referring to their own network only (i.e. their national backhaul etc) and that he hardly means that their link to the internet (at INEX, LINX and any other peers and uplink providers they have) is equal to the sum of all of their customer links? (maybe deduct a bit for local traffic).

Just wondering.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Patrickof wrote:
    Reading an article in todays Irish Times about competition (or lack of) and the CEO of Magnet claims that their service is uncontended, unlike eircoms and others.

I'm guessing here, but I presume he is referring to their own network only (i.e. their national backhaul etc) and that he hardly means that their link to the internet (at INEX, LINX and any other peers and uplink providers they have) is equal to the sum of all of their customer links? (maybe deduct a bit for local traffic).

Just wondering.
    This question is addressed in quite a bit of detail rite on the Magent website - it's the first item on the Q&A link from their hompage.

They have this to say about contention on their connection to the Internet backbones:
    With respect to congestion beyond the point of connection, our network contains many gigabit links which are dimensioned, monitored and increased from time to time to carry without congestion the maximum load placed on our network by our active customers.

Our core network and the capacity to the internet is similarly dimensioned to telecoms standards in such a way that you will not take a cut in your service when more people get online.

So they still rely on the fact that everyone won't be online at the same time, but they aim to upgrade their capacity as and when increased demand requires.

Advertisement