Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLL: Do you think that primary education and religion should be kept separate?

Options
  • 13-10-2006 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Irish primary schools are 99% run by religious institutions. Would you prefer if schools no longer chose teachers and pupils based on religion?

Do you think religion and primary education should be kept separate in Ireland? 14 votes

Yes, I would like schools to stop selecting pupils and teachers based on religion
    0% 0 votes
    No, I would like schools to continue selecting pupils and teachers based on religion
    85% 12 votes
    Neither / I don't know
    14% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

While I voted "Yes" from a selection perspective - I'm still OK with religion (Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam, Judaism - whatever is appropriate for the pupil base) being taught in primary schools.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I agree that religion should be tohguht in schools but all religions so that kids can be informed.

I completely disagree with National schools being controlled by the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The question (as posed) is ridiculously biased. Seriously, if you're going to post a poll, at least try to make its outcome mean something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> The question (as posed) is ridiculously biased.

The question as posed asks people to choose between two mutually-exclusive alternatives which, between them, encompass all available choices. Therefore, it cannot be biased, ridiculously or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Hill Billy wrote:
    While I voted "Yes" from a selection perspective - I'm still OK with religion (Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam, Judaism - whatever is appropriate for the pupil base) being taught in primary schools.

Sums up what I was thinking. I think religion and education should be separated but I think religious education is important.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement