Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema sold?

• 13-10-2006 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    was chatting to a lad in a pub last night (you know pubs, the places where everybody knows everything) and he told me that the cinema on Patricks street was sold. To a lad called Tweedy too. Anyone here hear anything about this?

If true, and if handled well it could provide Waterford with a great gig venue right in the heart of the city.

Also just wondering did anyone hear any more on the Bescos thing btw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Roen wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    was chatting to a lad in a pub last night (you know pubs, the places where everybody knows everything) and he told me that the cinema on Patricks street was sold. To a lad called Tweedy too. Anyone here hear anything about this?

If true, and if handled well it could provide Waterford with a great gig venue right in the heart of the city.

Also just wondering did anyone hear any more on the Bescos thing btw?

I predicted this from day one. No way those lazy, incompetent bastards on Patrick St. would go into competition with anyone. As soon as the new one opens, if not before, they'll be gone. Then we'll be back to one cinema again... reduced from 11 to 8 screens thanks to McCan't...

Christ, ****ing Tweedy again. Is there nobody else who will invest in Waterford???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Someone from Waterford who says "A lad called Tweedy"...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Roen wrote:

That would be prety sweet alright although its a shame that the other cinema will probably have no competition, now it can be run into the ground like this one ...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Well the one out at Ballybeg may get the go ahead yet. So we may have the two that we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A cinema in ballybeg??? lol you kidding? You mean fire station right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I think Roen means the one at the proposed "Crystal Village" out at the Crystal sports centre, no ?

Yep that's the one C-13. If it goes ahead it would do a lot to revitalise the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Check this out http://www.waterfordcity.ie/planninglists/lists/2006/25Sep-01OctRecieved.pdf

11 screens for the site bordering the Airport Road and the ORR

Bards wrote:
    Check this out http://www.waterfordcity.ie/planninglists/lists/2006/25Sep-01OctRecieved.pdf

11 screens for the site bordering the Airport Road and the ORR

Does it not say 12? (Or did I read it wrong?)

Anyway, cinemas seem to be as hard to get in Waterford as a second river crossing! Since 2000 we've been promised 3 cinemas in addition to the one on Patrick St. -- we should have 4 by now -- but none have been delivered.

Now it seems that as soon as the new (diminished due to BMC's activities) cinema opens in Railway Sq., assuming it ever opens, the one on Patrick st. will close. The one on the Dunmore road disappeared into the ether (BMC?) and I will believe the one in crystal village when I see it.

It seems like every development in tacking on an 11 screen cinema these days, but I wonder if it often isin't some sort of ploy to get planning permission and then when a building is built to look for permission for something else. Could we really have an 8 screen in railway sq. and an 11 in Ballybeg? That's better cinema provision than Galway or Limerick I think. (Although my info is out of date.)

It also makes you wonder if the 'new' cinemas are aware of the fact that the one on Patrick st. will close; because otherwise it might be pretty foolhardy to open 23+ screens in the city... do they know something we don't?

Remember folks, it's just pub talk at this stage. I originally posted up to see had anybody else heard anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

merlante wrote:

oops...typo..yes 12 is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Don't you think 8 screens is enough?

Don't you think 8 screens is enough?

Not really. Remember they are never all used at the same time.

The current cinema has 5 screens I think, and it misses out on a *lot* of films. Even Brokeback Mountain wasn't shown in Waterford, which I find incredible. You need 8 just to get what I would consider the bare minimum in the cinema.

11 gives you room for more off-beat stuff, more flexibility, and can accommodate multiple simultaneous viewings of very popular films, such ala Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Considering it would be the main cinema for god knows how many miles, it's not asking much!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fade2black wrote:
    A cinema in ballybeg??? lol you kidding? You mean fire station right?

Haha fantastic!
    it'll be a 8 screen cinema...er I mean 8 engine fire station with security fences :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

I had heard it was not going to be a cinema anymore all right, although my Mam heard from someone in the doctors that it was going to be Marks & Spencers, I don't know where they got their info from though, so dunno how reliable that is...be cool if it was true though. :)

Although it does suck that we're now only gaining 3 screens instead of 8. :rolleyes: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

merlante wrote:
    Not really. Remember they are never all used at the same time.

The current cinema has 5 screens I think, and it misses out on a *lot* of films. Even Brokeback Mountain wasn't shown in Waterford, which I find incredible. You need 8 just to get what I would consider the bare minimum in the cinema.

11 gives you room for more off-beat stuff, more flexibility, and can accommodate multiple simultaneous viewings of very popular films, such ala Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Considering it would be the main cinema for god knows how many miles, it's not asking much!

The cinema on Patrick St doesn't miss out on films because of lack of screens. It's because the owners won't pay the high prices that some film studios/distributors demand. If they want 50% takings for a film that's not a guaranteed success it usually misses Waterford.

JPA wrote:
    The cinema on Patrick St doesn't miss out on films because of lack of screens. It's because the owners won't pay the high prices that some film studios/distributors demand. If they want 50% takings for a film that's not a guaranteed success it usually misses Waterford.

It certainly misses out on some films due to the lack of screens.

The Waterford Cineplex, with 5 screens, is currently showing 5 films weeknights. (Seemingly operating at full capacity.)

The Galway Eye Cinema, with 9 screens, is currently showing 8 films weeknights. (1 screen free in the evenings.)

The Galway Omniplex, with 11 screens, is currently showing 9 films weeknights. (2 screens free in the evenings.)

So in summary, while the people who run the Waterford cinema may well be cheap, incompetent and lazy, the number of screens is still a huge factor in the number of films that Waterford gets.

You sharp reader will note that Galway has 20 screens in (critically) 2 cinemas compared to Waterford's 5! Cinema has been all but strangled to death in Waterford.

Now somebody asked, isin't 8 screens enough? What do you think? It doesn't seem to be enough for Galway: they have 20 screens, with 17 of them active at any given time!

Judging by how the capacity is used in the Galway cinemas, 11 screens should give a choice of 9 films on a weeknight, whereas 8 screens should give a choice of about 7. That's 22% less viewing choice thanks to our good buddy Brendan McCan't. You'll note that the actual cinema part of the Railway Sq. development is next to Tescos and is therefore clearly miles away from the tower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

When you're counting the cinemas/screens in Galway are you including the new cinema that's 3.5 miles outside Galway near Oranmore. It has at least 6 screens and is normally busy.

Has an Bord Pleanala made a decision on the proposed cinema at Ardkeen?

deisemum wrote:
    When you're counting the cinemas/screens in Galway are you including the new cinema that's 3.5 miles outside Galway near Oranmore. It has at least 6 screens and is normally busy.

Has an Bord Pleanala made a decision on the proposed cinema at Ardkeen?

No, I wanted to make a point, not make people cry. :(

If that project is still on the planning merry-go-round, there is something Kafkaesque going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

Cork has ~40 screens and we need about 20 more, seems very odd Waterford has so few in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

merlante wrote:

Anyway, cinemas seem to be as hard to get in Waterford as a second river crossing! Since 2000 we've been promised 3 cinemas in addition to the one on Patrick St. -- we should have 4 by now -- but none have been delivered.

Now it seems that as soon as the new (diminished due to BMC's activities) cinema opens in Railway Sq., assuming it ever opens, the one on Patrick st. will close. The one on the Dunmore road disappeared into the ether (BMC?) and I will believe the one in crystal village when I see it.
    It also makes you wonder if the 'new' cinemas are aware of the fact that the one on Patrick st. will close; because otherwise it might be pretty foolhardy to open 23+ screens in the city... do they know something we don't?

you already got this wrong before merlante when I pointed out it was arguement wit the distributors, not the number of screens, do you think there shouldn't be any smaller cinemas?

you already got this wrong before merlante when I pointed out it was arguement wit the distributors, not the number of screens, do you think there shouldn't be any smaller cinemas?

How have I got it wrong? A look at the cinema listings reveals that Waterford is using all 5 of its screens every night of the week. (Think there's 5 screens.) Cinemas elsewhere with more screens show more films. Whatever 'problem with the distributors' that the Waterford cinema has, in addition to it being tiny, does not belong in the 21st century.

Small cinemas are grand, but I *thought* that he 'cineplex' was supposed to provide mainstream cinema for the city. It fails in this because it is too small and is too badly managed. I don't really care what the specific problems are.

nah_biy! wrote:
    Cork has ~40 screens and we need about 20 more, seems very odd Waterford has so few in fairness.

Well Cork serves about 250,000 people cinemawise I'd say. Waterford serves about 80,000. So you'd expect Cork to have three times the number of screens.

60 sounds about right for Cork.
    20 sounds about right for Waterford, particularly since Galway has 20 (26 with Oranmore) for a slightly larger population.

The problem is, we only have 5, which looks like it will increase to only 8, so 20 seems like an astronomical figure in comparison. (And since the Patrick st. cinema is such a disgrace, large segments of the population simply don't go to the cinema.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I wouldn't just blame bad management for the plummeting number of people that go to the cinema. Our rapidly changing culture has something to do with it. More and more people are investing in surround sound home cinema systems and their 40" Plasma TV's. Piracy is also to blame - nowadays it takes longer to watch a movie than it does to download it. People also have less free time now than they did 5 or 10 years a go and oftentimes the screenings are on at an unsuitable time.

It could be argued that this could be remedied by having more screens, but the problem with having more screens is that you'd struggle to fill up the cinema. As it stands, the Cineplex is struggling to sell out, even for big films on weekends.

Can you really see 20 screens being utilsed in Waterford?

I wouldn't just blame bad management for the plummeting number of people that go to the cinema. Our rapidly changing culture has something to do with it. More and more people are investing in surround sound home cinema systems and their 40" Plasma TV's. Piracy is also to blame - nowadays it takes longer to watch a movie than it does to download it. People also have less free time now than they did 5 or 10 years a go and oftentimes the screenings are on at an unsuitable time.

It could be argued that this could be remedied by having more screens, but the problem with having more screens is that you'd struggle to fill up the cinema. As it stands, the Cineplex is struggling to sell out, even for big films on weekends.

Can you really see 20 screens being utilsed in Waterford?

I have to say, I don't at all buy that argument. First off, as a big fan of the cinema myself, no surround sound system can compare to the cinema experience.

In any case, the lull that cinemas suffered with the introduction of the VCR has been completely reversed. Cinema is now incredibly popular, particularly in Ireland, where the rate of admissions is the highest in Europe: Wikipedia: Media in Ireland: Film.

As I see it, the market for cinema in Waterford has seen (if anything) a contraction, whereas in almost every other part of the country cinema is booming. It is not uncommon for people in Dublin, where I lived for years, to go to the cinema every week or two weeks. Whereas in Waterford, it seems to be much less common. The problem in Waterford is that the Patrick st. cinema is filthy, badly run, very small, and doesn't seem to believe that adults go to the cinema. Brokeback Mountain was not shown at all in Waterford, ffs! And people did care. You had people kicking up on WLR. The very same as you have people kicking up on WLR about the fact that the air conditioning is frequently broken, and the way you get people complaining on here about lights not being turned off, the sound being rubbish, and the film cutting out half way through, etc., etc., etc.

There are many other problems with cinema in Waterford. The single cinema is far from the largest population centres in the city and parking is problematic because of its city centre location. The place never advertises itself.

Basically, yeah when you have 5 screens in one cinema, and the place just about breaks even, you can question the need for 20 screens, but at the moment, cinema in Waterford is quite simply an inferior way to spend your time than other activities. That is why it is dropping like a stone.

Anyway, to answer your question, I do think Waterford/Tramore could support 20 screens. Galway has 20 screens + 5/6 a few miles out, and will have another cinema soon by the looks of things. What the **** is wrong with Waterford? Why are people so pessimistic? I'm from Waterford and I love the cinema, and I'd be a regular cinema goer, but sometimes I read this board and I wonder if I am the only one who has any faith that Waterford can or should (?) break even on services. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

in your post i agree completly in what u say.
    are u serious brokeback mountain wasnt sceened in waterford??
    I'd like to know why?
    was it because of homophobia

in your post i agree completly in what u say.
    are u serious brokeback mountain wasnt sceened in waterford??
    I'd like to know why?
    was it because of homophobia

I don't think it was homophobia, I think they just made a bad choice in the films they picked at that particular time. Lots of good films don't make it to the Waterford cinema. They probably didn't think it would be a big deal, but then of course the gay community got upset about it and they got some bad publicity. Still, like I say, they seem to have a 1980's view of cinema, that you can only make money from small kids coming in with their parents.

I don't think they even realise that adults go to the cinema (elsewhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I passed by Railway Square the other day. The hoarding has been removed and the site around the building is been cleaned up. Hopefully this means we won't have to wait much longer for the new cinema to open.
    But then again, this is Waterford.....

merlante wrote:
    I have to say, I don't at all buy that argument. First off, as a big fan of the cinema myself, no surround sound system can compare to the cinema experience.

I heartily agree, first off the surround in my living room actually works, secondly there's no annoying morons to the left, right, front and rear of me, thirdly, food that actually tastes good, fourthly I can watch any film whenever I want as many times as I want, fifthly the picture will be focused, free from ads and better quality than the cinema, sixthly I won't have to queue with and be polite to the morons who five minutes later will be annoying the piss out of me. Welcome to the cinema in Ireland.

I realise that the cinema experience you may have outside Waterford may well be an improvement but the problems listed above are not exclusive to good old Port Lairge.

I did enjoy the cinema in Latvia the few times I've been, it's relatively moron free and highly modernised, certainly better than anything we have in Waterford or city centre Dublin. If we could learn from them it would be a good start

Surround sound in Waterford? Thomas Edisons phonographs are more 'surround' than what we currently experience in Waterford. The last film that had good surround that I saw here was Saving Private Ryan and that was 7 or more years ago.

• Advertisement

In fairness Roen, I am not going to try to sell you a product you don't want.

But suffice it to say that some of us prefer to see a film in a proper, fully equipped theatre, with other 'annoying morons', and yes, with a ton of overpriced popcorn to munch. I can still download... I mean buy (!)... the film and watch it many times at a later point, but I want to see good films in the cinema first.

And the main point of my previous post was that I am not the only one who does, cinema admissions are the highest in Europe in Ireland.

(And yes, the cinema experience in Waterford is rubbish. While I'm sure that the Dublin cinemas are undoubtedly not up to 'latvian' standards, the likes of Cineworld (or whatever it is this week) did me grand for years.)

Advertisement