Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Networking Courses for Beginner

Options
  • 13-10-2006 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to start a evening course on networking as it seems interesting and good job prospects with the experience in the future from what I can see of anyway.

I have a good knowledge of computers and that, but I m looking for advice on what would be the best course for a beginner like myself to do. I have researched it a bit and it seems that A+ followed by N+ are would probably be the best, but I am not 100% sure as I’m a beginner and have no experience.

I'm basically looking for advice from people who have been in the same situation as myself and what course they did and where. I only want to do this part-time as financially I couldn't afford to do this full-time plus it would kill the time during the winter nights.

I also if you could recommend colleges am where you have done your course. I have checked www.fas.ie and can not find any there.

Thanks for the advice in advance

Hi Lttle-Devil,

A few years ago I did a networking fundamentals course in moresoft it,it was icm certified and very good for a basis for networking but not sure ow could it would be for a complete beginner,maybe worth a look though.
    The n+ is also a good foundation.
    Local vec are great for doing evening courses is and tend to be alot less expensive then training centres but not too sure how many of these do networking.
    Do you have any computer or server experience?

The only experience i have is working for a ISP in tech support. I have been looking into networking as it seems interesting and sounds like the next move that i should make. I know some will say programming, but i have no interest in that. When you say VEC? could you name the college or where i could get the information you provided.

Thanks for the reply Moonbeam.

Similar background to me so.

There are different levels of isp tech support,worked in some palces where you needed good unix knowledge and basic router abilities,others where once you could configure a dial up connection you were sorted!

VEC is voactional educational college,your local secondary school or plc college:)

Programmnig isn't exactly a move from tech support unless thats what your trained to do or like.

I started out in tech support about 6.5 years ago. Did network+ in 2004 followed by a CCNA in 2005. Basically my income has gone up by about 50% since. The interesting thing is that what you learn from networking does apply when working with servers etc (which is actually what I've done for the last year). A good foundation in networking pays dividends even if you don't go into a networking specific area.

I did N+ myself from studying from a book, though I did have the advantage of working in service control at the time (I was looking at a lot of networking changes). It does help if you have a network environment which you can learn from.

I am on the last module of the PC maintenance and networking course running out of Raheen Limerick.

Due to a lack of care on the part of FAS it has run to over 15 months, 3 months added as a result of the incompetence of instructing staff and management.

I would not advise you going to FAS for anything, it is so badly run and a waste of money. In my opinion it should be shut down.

:mad:

Advertisement