Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Sabbath Album???

• 13-10-2006 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Howdy all!

I got into Black Sabbath around 7-8 years ago through a friend giving me a lend of 'Paranoid' on tape. I took to them straight away and soon found myself buying all the rest of the Ozzy era Sabbath albums on CD. Anytime I talk about Sabbath to somebody they'll mainly talk about 'Iron Man' 'War Pigs' and the song 'Paranoid.' I love all those songs but was just curious to get talkin to you guys who listen to the first self titled album, Master Of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath etc?? Ive a soft spot for all the Ozzy era albums so I cant choose whats my fave, whats yours???

Cheerz!

Rockee :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Master of Reality would be my favourite followed by the first two. After that the albums get weaker and weaker until eventually I cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

John wrote:
    Master of Reality would be my favourite followed by the first two. After that the albums get weaker and weaker until eventually I cry.

Yeah, I think Master Of Reality is their 'sludgiest' album for sure and also perhaps their darkest. 'Solitude' is a magnificent song and sets a real mood when you listen to it. I think 'Lord Of This World' is perhaps the weakest track though. Its been said that after 'Sabotage' they lost their edge a lot. Lack of new ideas? Iommis ego? Ozzys drink and drugs?

Marts wrote:
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for me

Fantastic album, absolutely! I think one of R.E.M. mustve been listening to 'Fluff' before coming up with 'Everybody hurts' :D It didnt scale the same heights commercially as 'Paranoid' though which is a shame. But, I suppose at the time 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' was released it was the time of T-Rex, Slade, Bowies Ziggy era so glam was in and smelly oul Sabbath were pushed back a little bit maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'd probably say Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, there isn't a second on it that I don't adore. Favourite though? It changes. Each of the albums is so different to what came before and after, they're all special. I don't consider Technical Ecstacy or Never Say Die to be weak at all they're just a different direction. Best 8 albums ever IMO :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

I'd say paranoid. It has my favourite sabbath song on it: Faires wear boots

Doctor J wrote:
    I'd probably say Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, there isn't a second on it that I don't adore. Favourite though? It changes. Each of the albums is so different to what came before and after, they're all special. I don't consider Technical Ecstacy or Never Say Die to be weak at all they're just a different direction. Best 8 albums ever IMO :)

Howdy Doctor J! Long time no see or speak! Yeah, SBS is indeed a great album. The thing about Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die is that they were released around the time of the punk explosion so I suppose they were overlooked to a certain extent, but yep no doubts they are great records. Good fun hearing Bill Ward sing on 'Its Alright' as for 'Never Say Die' the title track and Johnny Blade are pretty kickin,,although the sad thing about seeing the live footage of around that time is seeing Iommi standing centrre stage!!! I mean its one thing having an ego but extending it onstage and shoving the lead singer out of the way was ridiculous. Iommi bullied Ozzy in school as kids so I suppose nothing changed on stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

'Paranoid' would probably be my favourite and then, even thought it's a compilation, 'We Sold Our Souls for Rock and Roll' would be next.

I remember when 'Heaven and Hell' was released. Everyone at school appeared to be a fan. It seems as if it was going to be a huge seller. Lots of graffitii on desks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

for me it's either Sabbath bloody sabbath, master or reality or Heaven and hell. All the post-ozzy albums are criminally overlooked and underrated imo, theres some great stuff on there....

Rockee wrote:
    seeing Iommi standing centrre stage!!! I mean its one thing having an ego but extending it onstage and shoving the lead singer out of the way was ridiculous.
    It was a bit like that at Live Aid but then Ozzy looked pathetic while Iommi still looked cool (if I recollect it correctly).

• Advertisement

Ahh Tony wasn't the tyrant he was made out to be. I'm surprised they could function at all, given their... ehh, pharmaceutical intake, shall we say ;) I used to think he was a bit of a monster but having read loads of books from all sides, he was doing a bang up job of holding it all together in truth. Tony is very definitely a cool bloke. Best band ever, in my mind, as influential as the Beatles with none of the credit.

Doctor J wrote:
    influential as the Beatles with none of the credit.

I agree wholeheartedly...:) Without Sabbath would there even be a Rock & Metal section on boards.ie??? :eek: :D

Indeed and then where would we be? :D

So you're not playng with Seany anymore? Shame, yis had a good thing going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

got to be Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, closely followed by Sabotage.
    the first 6 albums are by far their finest.:cool:

Just as a matter of interest, 'Paranoid' was their only no. 1 album (not that it's of much significance).

Doctor J wrote:
    Indeed and then where would we be? :D

So you're not playng with Seany anymore? Shame, yis had a good thing going.

We were chattin durin the week and aint rulin out a few bits and bobs...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Supprised noone has mentioned Vol4 yet, its certainly my fav. Wheels of Confusion, Tomorrows Dream, Supernaut(which was Zappas favourite rock song, which up to this point was Iron Man), Snowblind, Cornucopia, St.Vitus Dance and Under the sun are all Sab classics, then there is FX, their all too brief detour into Krautrock. Then there is Iommis(I'm more then just a riff miester(as if that wasn't enough))Laguana sunrise and Changes which we won't dwell on. Still a great album not to be overlooked

Laguna Sunrise and Changes are beautiful songs, I think they couldve left out FX though!!! :D Just sounds like a kid messing with his first ever delay pedal. Nothing can be gained from it. Anyway, yep Vol 4 is fantastic. I might be wrong but isnt this the first album they recorded in the States???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Reunion (if you can count it as an album)

I say POLL!

How about post-Ozzy Sabbath? For me, I think Eternal Idol is a savage album, terribly overlooked but really one fine slab of Metal.

• Advertisement

Hmm...how large can a poll be??? Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in fairness seems to be the most popular so far. Ive seen live footage also of Sabbath with Tony Martin I think during the 'Cross Purpose' era. It was Geezer, Tony and Bobby Rondinelli??? on drums. Twas good, but....:)

Rockee wrote:
    Laguna Sunrise and Changes are beautiful songs, I think they couldve left out FX though!!! :D Just sounds like a kid messing with his first ever delay pedal. Nothing can be gained from it. Anyway, yep Vol 4 is fantastic. I might be wrong but isnt this the first album they recorded in the States???

"FX" is cool. It's worth a million "Changes". I can't believe they recorded "Changes". Monstrous. An atrocity against rocking.

John wrote:
    "FX" is cool. It's worth a million "Changes". I can't believe they recorded "Changes". Monstrous. An atrocity against rocking.

They didnt have to be rocking constantly. Its like Metallica with 'Fade To Black' on their 2nd album, its ok to let off the gas yknow? Maybe the fact that Ozzy did a new version of 'Changes' with Kelly a few years ago has added a certain kitsch factor to it?

Nah, "Changes" was always a pile of gooey yuck, the Kelly and Ozzy duet just made it worse. And you're right, they don't have to be rocking the whole time, they should do things like "FX" too :D

John wrote:
    Nah, "Changes" was always a pile of gooey yuck, the Kelly and Ozzy duet just made it worse. And you're right, they don't have to be rocking the whole time, they should do things like "FX" too :D

Hahaha!!! Ok, cool :D Theyll prob release an entire krautrock album made up of Vol. 4 sessions someday!!! 'Under The Sun' is still heavy as feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Sabotage!!....deffinately their best,.,.,.terrific stuff on there...top notch playing and it hasnt dated a bit...as goood to listen to now as ever :)

ciao'...Baggio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Master of Reality edges out in front for me, I love the first 6 albums though, 6 of my favourite. As for post-Ozzy, it'd be Heaven and Hell

And on a related note, apparently Sabbath minus Ozzy will be touring with Dio next year as "Heaven and Hell". I'd love to see that, Dio's a lot better than Ozzy at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Their first 6 albums are all great, but Master of Reality beats them all hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Fozzy wrote:
    Master of Reality edges out in front for me, I love the first 6 albums though, 6 of my favourite. As for post-Ozzy, it'd be Heaven and Hell

And on a related note, apparently Sabbath minus Ozzy will be touring with Dio next year as "Heaven and Hell". I'd love to see that, Dio's a lot better than Ozzy at this stage

That would be a kick ass show to see. I love how Dio sings all the ozzy sabbath stuff on live evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

The first 4 are fantastic but the debut steals it for me

Advertisement