Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New poll religion in schools

Options
  • 13-10-2006 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

The last poll was too heavily loaded so lets try this again.

Should the current system of patronage in primary schools be changed ? 78 votes

No, they are fine as they are, just build more multidenominational schools where needed
    0% 0 votes
    No, the system is fine as it is.
    16% 13 votes
    Yes, the dept of education should be the parton of all primary schools and the should be secular
    10% 8 votes
    Yes a portion of them should be made secular/multidenominational
    58% 46 votes
    yes There should be religious instruction/preperation for sacrements in school
    8% 7 votes
    there should be in schools a program for understanding and respecting differing religions
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I think the system that I was schooled in was fine while in National Primary School, there was about 5 or so Non-Catholics in school and they just simply sat through the lessons. I remember envying them as they never had hardly homework to do as they did it during Religion.

It is a fair system considering that the Majority of Irish people are Catholic, I have my reservations about it but why bring Children into it. If the parents of non-catholic children don't like ti they can send them to school that choose their religion or else teach them their particular religion themselves. This is one of the things that Ireland always had and should not be changed just because a few foreigners are coming into the country. Next thing there will be riots over the Islamic Burkha or something.

If it ain't broken don't fix it, When I was going to school it was a case of getting as many kids as possible to keep the teachers, although now the numbers are massive again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Netwhiz, I don't agree with you. If the majority are Catholic, they're surely able to school their children in their religion at home or send them to a Sunday school.

After all, if the majority of the people living in Ireland were dedicated Communists, that wouldn't necessarily mean your kid should have to learn that particular creed.

The State and religion do not belong in the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

netwhizkid wrote:
    I think the system that I was schooled in was fine while in National Primary School, there was about 5 or so Non-Catholics in school and they just simply sat through the lessons. I remember envying them as they never had hardly homework to do as they did it during Religion.

So you admit there have always been non catholic irish familes.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    If the parents of non-catholic children don't like ti they can send them to school that choose their religion or else teach them their particular religion themselves. This is one of the things that Ireland always had and should not be changed just because a few foreigners are coming into the country.

This change and crisis is a combination of bad/lack of planning as houses were build and new communities and the fact that many people are leaving the catholic church and no longer bowing to family pressure to conform.

For years people clelebrated the miles stone in thier lives in conjunction with church sacrements but that is changing. Culturally and socitally Ireland is changing and the school system is one that will have to change to reflect it.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Next thing there will be riots over the Islamic Burkha or something.

Now that is inflamatory and just silly and not welcome here please think before you post.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    If it ain't broken don't fix it, When I was going to school it was a case of getting as many kids as possible to keep the teachers, although now the numbers are massive again.

It is broke, when you are looking at a 200 children with out a place for school when stepember starts it is broken.

http://www.joanburton.ie/?postid=353

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I do think it that secular schools are badly needed in Ireland but at the same stage i wouldn't be too worried about sending my (hypothetical) children to a catholic school since i went to them and learnt nothing at all about religion.
    But they are clearly needed for people who don't wish to send them to catholic schools / who want a decent choice of schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I am not Catholic & I had to enroll my children as soon as they were born (and they only just squeaked in) to ensure they get a place in the only multi-demoninational school in the area...that means we cannot move area without loosing their school places. There is clearly an enormous problem if parents are forced to enroll at birth. I find the "it ain't broke (for me) so don't fix it" a fairly common response largely from those with Catholic backgrounds & without any exposure to many people from outside their own faith & culture. :mad:

I don't see my kids segregated & sitting in a corridor because the direct teaching of Catholicism used here goes against our beliefs as anywhere near satisfactory for a PUBLIC school system. :rolleyes: Its archiac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Religion is a fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I am not Catholic & I had to enroll my children as soon as they were born (and they only just squeaked in) to ensure they get a place in the only multi-demoninational school in the area...that means we cannot move area without loosing their school places. There is clearly an enormous problem if parents are forced to enroll at birth. I find the "it ain't broke (for me) so don't fix it" a fairly common response largely from those with Catholic backgrounds & without any exposure to many people from outside their own faith & culture. :mad:

I don't see my kids segregated & sitting in a corridor because the direct teaching of Catholicism used here goes against our beliefs as anywhere near satisfactory for a PUBLIC school system. :rolleyes: Its archiac.

We don't have a state school system, we have a state-sponsored one. I also think you'd find that most catholics have no objection to the department of Education supporting new schools that are not Catholic. It's simply that the Catholic church is very experienced and adept in education building programmes. They can usually show a strong demand in pupil numbers to justify building programmes.

I hardly think that forcing the nationalization of Catholic schools is the answer as we do condone Freedom of Religion. In reality your problem is with the attitude of people not choosing a non-denominational school over a religion based school - they just don't see any real advantage in shouting for a non-denominational school, or at least not enough of them do.

The problem that gives way to having to register your childs school place at birth is due to the lead time in building schools to match the population growth. There have been many instances of Catholic schools

I can understand your intentions though, My child goes to a Gaelscoil and I'd equally suggest that these schools should get preferential treatment in the national interest. However there likely would be many people protesting that Gaelscoileanna are not suitable for non-native Irish.

From what I have observed, if enough people want a non-denominational school then they will get one, which is why I support the "if it ain't broke for me" attitude - it's democracy like it or lump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Until I was 11 I though that I was bold because I didn't believe in God. Of course children shouldn't be thought religion! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

What about RELIGION SHOULD BE BANNED IN SCHOOLS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think instrcution and indoctrination should not be in shools, but a program to learn about different religions and create understanding should be in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i ''learn'' from a religion book aimed at cathalics........it should be though..but with a non-bias approch.................and the teachers shouldnt be allowed give out to pupils who dont stand and pray if the teacher makes the class do this at the start of the class......i got punished for this a few times[i refused to stand up on the grounds of my beliefs.......im aethiest] and he got the year end and the year end was givng out as well.....i just ignored them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I would hope now though that kids don't get walloped for not knowing how to say a hail mary. perhaps the schools are more enlightened These days.

We don't have a state school system, we have a state-sponsored one. I also think you'd find that most catholics have no objection to the department of Education supporting new schools that are not Catholic. It's simply that the Catholic church is very experienced and adept in education building programmes. They can usually show a strong demand in pupil numbers to justify building programmes.

I hardly think that forcing the nationalization of Catholic schools is the answer as we do condone Freedom of Religion. In reality your problem is with the attitude of people not choosing a non-denominational school over a religion based school - they just don't see any real advantage in shouting for a non-denominational school, or at least not enough of them do.

The problem that gives way to having to register your childs school place at birth is due to the lead time in building schools to match the population growth. There have been many instances of Catholic schools

I can understand your intentions though, My child goes to a Gaelscoil and I'd equally suggest that these schools should get preferential treatment in the national interest. However there likely would be many people protesting that Gaelscoileanna are not suitable for non-native Irish.

From what I have observed, if enough people want a non-denominational school then they will get one, which is why I support the "if it ain't broke for me" attitude - it's democracy like it or lump it.

I didn't say you had a state school system, what I said was it was shocking baring in mind this is your public school system. That includes every member of your public - Irish or not, Catholic or not.

The unfairness of it all comes into it when you fight to get your child into a school that is not religious just to realise that you are fighting for places against many parents who are religious & who have a choice of 3 schools in the area (indeed, they expect the ET school to stay open in the evenings & wkends so their children can learn religious scripture despite choosing not to send them to a religious school). No emphasis or protection is given to families who are not Catholic to ensure their children are given the kind of multi-denominational education wanted but if I dare to question the status quo I am told to put up & shut up. Where is the democracy in that? Surely the best all round is to make a larger proportion of schools multi-denominational? That is all I want. There is obviously a large number of Catholic parents who prefer the ET ethos if the enrollment numbers at our local school is anything to go by.

The UK is a predominantly Christian country, yet the majority of British schools are multidenominational state schools. Why is the Irish attitude that Ireland is predominantly Catholic so to hell (no pun intended) with whatever anyone else wants? What a terribly closed-minded, divisive attitude.

[sorry, edited for bad spelling]

i wanted to go to the local private school[grammer]cause of its non religious ness.........my dad was keen cause it had a good rep but my mam wouldnt allow it as of the religion issue........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

My parents were Catholic, and I went to a Catholic school, and I resented the intrusion of religion on my education. Ideally, I'd like a completely secular education system, but I'd settle for a choice, which we don't have. I don't think I've ever actually seen a non-religious school. I don't think kids should learn about talking bushes and algebra from the same system. I have issues with parents dictating their kids religion from an early age anyway, but whatever, on their own time. Education should be seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

I'd have to agree with Thaed on the "program to learn about different religions and create understanding should be in place."
    I would have loved that going to school. Just to see if it helps people from being less ignorant and understanding others beliefs. But I can say I wouldn't want my child going to a school for a religion I don't even belive in. It's not right and ickle magoo that is awful. I'm only glad somewhat being in America so I don't have to worry about such a thing. Now all I have to do is search for a decent school for my child and hope for the best. Public school here is such a scary thing these days, and I don't just mean violence but their curriculum as well as low scores they get for a school as a whole.

if religion is though so should the basis of atonigismn and aetiestism

What is atonigismn?

properly rong spelling lbnol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Where I am its probably easier to my child into a non religious school than the local RC schools. And as I cchild always travelled to a school out of my home area, I don't see what the fuss is about. There are other options in this country. They might require more effort than just dumping your kid in the local parish school because its "handy". I know people who have moved countries to get their children into a particualar schools or system. I guess it comes down to how motivated you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Where I am its probably easier to my child into a non religious school than the local RC schools. And as I cchild always travelled to a school out of my home area, I don't see what the fuss is about. There are other options in this country. They might require more effort than just dumping your kid in the local parish school because its "handy". I know people who have moved countries to get their children into a particualar schools or system. I guess it comes down to how motivated you are.
    Don't assume that the desire to get into local schools is about what is 'handy'. It is often about mixing with immediate neighbours, about avoiding the need for adding one more car-based school run onto the currently creaking traffic infrastructure, about avoid the need to have 2 cars in a family etc.

and about your child being ridicidled/bullied by other children if he/she refuses to pretend to be a certain faith

RainyDay wrote:
    Don't assume that the desire to get into local schools is about what is 'handy'. It is often about mixing with immediate neighbours, about avoiding the need for adding one more car-based school run onto the currently creaking traffic infrastructure, about avoid the need to have 2 cars in a family etc.

You can mix with you neighbours even if you've no kids, its easier if you have kids alright, and not everyone needs a car to get out of their area.

and about your child being ridicidled/bullied by other children if he/she refuses to pretend to be a certain faith

In non religious schools? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You can mix with you neighbours even if you've no kids, its easier if you have kids alright, and not everyone needs a car to get out of their area.
    I was referring to the kids mixing with their neighbours, not the adults. The further you get away from your local school, the more likely you are to need a car commute.

RainyDay wrote:
    I was referring to the kids mixing with their neighbours, not the adults. The further you get away from your local school, the more likely you are to need a car commute.

Ah yes that makes more sense. :o

You can pick a school near yourself, or near public transport or one thats needs a car. Thats a matter of choice for most people, not everyone of course.

Personally I got the bus or cycled to primary school, secondary, college etc.

It's not a choice for those living outside Dublin :rolleyes:

It's not a choice for those living outside Dublin :rolleyes:

Is Dublin the only town/city in Ireland. ;)

Its only in recent years that kids have lost will to walk and needed to be chauffeured to school.

Is Dublin the only town/city in Ireland. ;)

Well, frankly you'd think so the way some people assume things...;)
    Its only in recent years that kids have lost will to walk and needed to be chauffeured to school.

It's not a loss of will round these parts - we don't have the luxury of a public transport system, Luas, or whatever - it's car or shanks' pony. Some people cannot afford the time or effort of loading up several children & walking them miles in horrible weather to get their 4/5/6yr old safely to the school gates. I walked or cycled to school too - but I don't really think it is a viable option for those with very young children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

If I had my way religion would be banned, not just from schools, but from Ireland, for being a ridiculous (and dangerous) idea. I seriously have to wonder about anyone who believes in it.

Advertisement