Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

^~expert needed tried everything please help^~

Options
  • 13-10-2006 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i had a dell dimension 2400(i know i know it was cheap but not in the long run)
    it had no slot for a graphics carp so i got a new motherboard and CPU worked fine for a few days then started to freeze had turn off manually to restart this might happen again and again then it would work for ages until the next day same again, wasnt happy with CPU so changed the motherboard and CPU worked prefect for few days then same problem. taught it might be dells ram so i changed that. worked prefect for few days then same problem. tough my HDD had seen the end off its days so i got a well needed new one. worked prefect for few days then same problem, u can see a Patten emerging here i don't know what the problem is? only thing left of the dell computer is the power supply, case & cables, DVD drive & peripherals. could it be any of these? if not what else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Did you format and reinstall Windows or just move the hard drive, connecting it with the new motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

With the installation of a new mobo you need to format your existing hard drive then re-install windows when you have connected it up to the new mobo...

Otherwise you are screwed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tomietucker

yea i formatted both hard drive 2times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

power supply? dells psu's are fair sh1te tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Did you connect both power supply cables to your new mobo you need the small 4 pin 12v cable as well.
    Also c;ear your CMOS in the bios it could be just some obscure setting or memory timings ect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

power supply? dells psu's are fair sh1te tbh

They are annoying when they are non standard but other then that I think dell psus are fairly solid performers. Have two hard drives, 2 optical drives and a 7600gt on my 300w dell psu without any issues whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... sounds like you might have an issue with that case maybe. How are you monitoring your system temps, if at all. Are you getting any errors or warnings in event viewer? Any BSODs?

It could be a problem that as your system heats up and your components expand, your mobo, or something else might be shorting off something (it happens and it is usually a bugger to troubleshoot). Something in your system might be dented or bent and causing this to happen. The lo-tech solution is simply to change cases and see if you get errors again. Be sure to use your present PSU in the different case also. That will be your next thing to replace if you still get these lockups with another case. You should never change more than one thing at a time when troubleshooting.

Is there anything at all that you might think each of these freezes have in common, like are you usually running the same program, or is it happening on days you have the radiator on... try to think of anything that is happening every time you get these freezes then try to force it to happen under the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

no build the pc out off the case and see if it works best way to troubleshoot.

Advertisement