Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

90bhp 1.9l VAG TDi

Options
  • 13-10-2006 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Hi there guys. It's me with my annoying inquiries again.

The mother finally bought her new Yaris last week, only now she's gone and gotten a job at the other side of town meaning we need 3 cars (IMO I'm still in the process of convincing her and dad busses aren't the best idea if you want to get to work on time). Dad carpools every 2nd week so he only need something cheap and would use her's every 2nd week normally. I'm at college only 5 mins from where she currently works so we can pool when he has the car every 2nd week.

I'm window shopping for him in the region of €2-2.5k (he don't know that yet though)

Anyhow Long story short, I found thislovely A4
    tjunctionA4Cop241.jpg

I remember some people on her talking about the 90bhp engine, but can't remember if they were saying it was like a bag of cats or if it was as sweet as a nut. ???????

Big Nelly???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's a good engine, but that car is very leggy and not cheap. At that mileage, I'd be looking for a very comprehensive service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ah well at that price it's a rip off, but diesel engines are built for big miles so I wouldn't be overly worried, it'd easily go for the same again and it'll only be doing 7-10 k in a year, but I remember people saying it's underpowered for the tax you pay or is there a smaller bhp 1.9???

He's convinced he won't need a car, but I'm on co-op next year for 6 months so he's deluding himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

ninty9er wrote:
    ah well at that price it's a rip off, but diesel engines are built for big miles so I wouldn't be overly worried, it'd easily go for the same again and it'll only be doing 7-10 k in a year, but I remember people saying it's underpowered for the tax you pay or is there a smaller bhp 1.9???

He's convinced he won't need a car, but I'm on co-op next year for 6 months so he's deluding himself

The engine can handle the miles but the interior and suspension and gearbox will show the miles

ninty9er wrote:
    The engine can handle the miles if, and only if, it's been properly maintained. The 90bhp unit was the original VAG 1.9TDI, the only less powerful version of that engine is the 64bhp 1.9 non-turbo. I'd say the 90bhp engine is fine, assuming he's not looking for a particularly fast car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anan1 wrote:
    The engine can handle the miles if, and only if, it's been properly maintained. The 90bhp unit was the original VAG 1.9TDI, the only less powerful version of that engine is the 64bhp 1.9 non-turbo. I'd say the 90bhp engine is fine, assuming he's not looking for a particularly fast car.

The old Audi 80 had a 75bhp 1.9 TDi engine in 1992. This was the first of the VAG TDi engines afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

ninty9er wrote:
    ah well at that price it's a rip off, but diesel engines are built for big miles so I wouldn't be overly worried

It is a good engine, but tbh 160k kills a lot of cars, both petrol and diesel. You could be buying a lot of trouble, especially with Audi's expensive suspension parts.

bazz26 wrote:
    The old Audi 80 had a 75bhp 1.9 TDi engine in 1992. This was the first of the VAG TDi engines afaik.
    Are you sure that wasn't the 1.6TD as opposed to the 1.9TDI?

Anan1 wrote:
    Are you sure that wasn't the 1.6TD as opposed to the 1.9TDI?

I'm nearly certain. There was a 1.6 litre TD engine in the Audi 80 up until 1991. That was the same unit found in the top of the range MkII Golf afaik. But in 1992 the Audi 80 had a major make over and they introduced the 1.9 TDi engine to the range. Afaik it had 75bhp and was rated as one of the best diesel engines at the time.

When the A4 arrived in 1995 the standard 1.9 TDi went from 75bhp to 90bhp. They also introduced the 110bhp version.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wasn't that 90bhp 1.9TDI introduced on the old Passat in 1993? before the A4 was launched?

colm_mcm wrote:
    wasn't that 90bhp 1.9TDI introduced on the old Passat in 1993? before the A4 was launched?

I think it was actually 1994 when the Passat got it around the same time as a facelift before then new model arrived in 1997.

• Advertisement

Passat got a facelift in 93

colm_mcm wrote:
    Passat got a facelift in 93

Fair enough.

I saw a brochure for the old Jetta there last week, I think the 1.6 TD was only 55bhp or something

We had a 1992 Audi 80. It had TDI on the back, but I don't know about the power, I was too small!

I've definately seen Audi 80's with "1.9 TDI" badges on the back. all the facelifted models with the all red rear light clusters

While we're on the subject, the 80 is one of the most handsome family cars from the 80's 90's. far more elegant than some of the newer Audis.
    audi80ya3.jpg

colm_mcm wrote:
    I saw a brochure for the old Jetta there last week, I think the 1.6 TD was only 55bhp or something
    I'm fairly sure the 1.6TD was 70bhp. What a bunch of trainspotters we are, all the same!:)

colm_mcm wrote:
    While we're on the subject, the 80 is one of the most handsome family cars from the 80's 90's. far more elegant than some of the newer Audis.

The facelift 80 with the A4 style bonnet is a lovely looking car. I always prefered the 100/A6 though.

The 80 had some strange design quirks:
    An unusably small boot
    A fuel tank between the boot and rear seats
    Procon-Ten :)

maidhc wrote:
    The facelift 80 with the A4 style bonnet is a lovely looking car. I always prefered the 100/A6 though.

The 80 had some strange design quirks:
    An unusably small boot
    A fuel tank between the boot and rear seats
    Procon-Ten :)

don't forget a vertical spare wheel!

I'm going to buy one. I don't need one. but I'm looking out for a 94/95 TDI that I can keep in a shed until it's old enough to be cool

Advertisement