Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annamoe Local Climate Help

Options
  • 13-10-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭

I'm moving into a place in Annamoe, Co Wicklow next month (extremely excited) and was wondering if there are any local weather stations or records that are available to the public.

Would love to get temperature recods, numbers of days snow lying etc ..or anything. Its a pretty hilly area so am sure it has its own small microclimate features.

One thing I reckon is I'm much more likely to see snow there than here in Rathgar :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Congrats on the move Longfield,defo you will see more snow there alright.
    Mountains have a tendancy of making there own climates.

It does be warmer during the summer if trapped in a valley and also colder and shelterd in the Winter(depending on height).With home grown mountain Thunderstorms too.
    Well like most hilly areas you will see a lot more cloud:p

As you will be nearer the Eastern side of the wickla mtns down the road from Roundwood a good easterly during a cold peroid you will see a high chance of snow more than blessington would on the west side of the mountain range,this is because the windward side of the range(in this case you) would receive the most precipitation while the west would be sheltered as the moisture is sponged up by the mountains.

In a Northerly you are likely to be more sheltered while the Northern most part of the range would receive the highest amount of precip.(in this case sally gap,helfire area on the Dublin range).

Now get yourself a weather station,it be interesting to see data from there during the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

PM sent, though really I don't have any useful info.

Only 10 miles from me, but in a different world climatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm renting there, so not sure if I'll be able to stick up a station, though they've no probs with a satellite dish, will have to wait and see how it plays.
    Its a stunningly beautiful location, no doubt I'll be posting pics later after i'm moved in and settled (next month).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Mothman wrote:
    PM sent, though really I don't have any useful info.

Only 10 miles from me, but in a different world climatically.

Thanks Mothman, have replied.

You'll be reporting snow there longfield when all the rest of us have rain.
    Good location for extremes.

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    You'll be reporting snow there longfield when all the rest of us have rain.
    Good location for extremes.

Heh, Tristrame as if I wasn't excited enough already :)
    Can't wait to move in and explore the area.

Need to get myself a more powerful car though, the Fabia is really wheezing going up the hills, 68bhp just won't cut it (excuse to get a car loan and buy a bigger one!)

That said, snow days off work, while the rest of the lads have to turn up as its only raining by the sea (i'll email them pics of the snow just to cheer them up mwahahah), really appeals.
    The temperature both times i've been there has been approx 2.5C colder than here in Rathgar (according to the car thermometer).
    Hopefully this will be enough at least once or twice during the winter :)

Advertisement