Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies & FAQ

Options
  • 13-10-2006 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

The Newbies & FAQ section is a little congested with stickies, only three user threads can be seen at once. Can this be whittled down a bit?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep, could be tidied up a bit alright. The Helpdesk ticket thread could be chucked (I don't think it exists anymore, correct me if I'm wrong) for starters. Alot can be just merged together.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How to subscribe, searching the boards and access to S&S could all be put in the FAQ. Amp's guide to boards and the general newbie advice could be merged, and possibly put in with the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Faith wrote:
    How to subscribe, searching the boards and access to S&S could all be put in the FAQ. Amp's guide to boards and the general newbie advice could be merged, and possibly put in with the charter.
    I'd keep the access to S&S bit seperate, as I've seen enough threads on it in feedback as it is. We don't want more than there has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

We could definately get rid of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jonny Saviour

Faith wrote:

Faith,

Go you all excitited!

LOL :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

An automatic PM sent to new user when they register might be a nice idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Or a welcoming group of mods like I have seen at other fora.
    A fairly generic PM is sent to a new user that says hi in newbs & FAQ, from a moderator. It just saying hi etc and letting them know if they have any questions they can PM back and ask.

Just a suggestion.

When you first log in after confirming your membership (which I've just done using an account mysteriously called 'Myth Test A/C') you get the following page...

First_Image.gif

Could a spiel be placed there detailing that there is a 'Newbie/FAQ' board available if you wish to ask any questions, or at least placing a link for it somewhere on that page?

The automatic PM would be cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ban him for duplicate accounts!!!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Automatic PM is a standard feature in vB 3.6.0+

Myth's idea will just involve editing a phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'd keep the access to S&S bit seperate, as I've seen enough threads on it in feedback as it is. We don't want more than there has to be.

And I get between 2 to 5 pms askingin about acess from new members a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We could definately get rid of this
    Indeed. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 butchboy

im trying to add attachments in posts but everytime i click on the attachment icon it will not do anything and vice versa with manage attachments tab

Do you have a popup blocker installed? I tested it there and it seems that it opens in a new window, so if you've pop ups blocked, then this won't open.

Advertisement