Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Dating

• 13-10-2006 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

For the past few months I've been participating on two of the larger Irish Dating Websites...find them interesting...and while I haven't found love I have formed some solid friendships. I am interested in hearing readers experiences with Internet Dating if anyone is willing to share?. I'm open that I use it...but I know not everyone is!.

Your thoughts on online dating websites 68 votes

I am a male and I would use one (if I was looking)
    0% 0 votes
    I am a male and I would not use one (if I was looking)
    25% 17 votes
    I am a female and I would use one (if I was looking)
    4% 3 votes
    I am a female and I would not use one (if I was looking)
    10% 7 votes
    They are a great way to meet the perfect person
    2% 2 votes
    Only social outcasts use them
    10% 7 votes
    They would be one of my first ways of looking
    10% 7 votes
    They are a last option
    7% 5 votes
    Young people use them (18-30)
    16% 11 votes
    Older people use them (30+)
    13% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Not a PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

wow theres an awful lot of these threads appearing lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

rb_ie wrote:

I was just gonna say.... goodness... this is the 3rd of 4th thread of this kind that I've seen in the short time that I've been back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

rb_ie wrote:
    Yeah.

I personally, have not used Internet dating sites. I know not everyone is open about not using Interned dating sites, and well, I have dated people I first met on the Internet, so I'm not a total freak or anything.

Don't be shy people, has anyone else not used an Internet dating site? Willing to share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dated internet peoples but not from a dating site, I would like to hear some experiences though. There are so many of those sites these days! You have Ruu's protection if you reply here and won't be laughed at, promise. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

It's really not even something people will laugh at anymore; it's so popular these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 daveball

Hi all , I am a web designer and I am setting up a new dating website,better not say the name yet as I will be called a spammer.
    I am looking for feedback from people about what they expect from a dating website, any thing they think some of the irish sites lack, maybe I cam imprve on them, cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Have used two(one irish and one english).Met literally dozens of people as a result,have had dates,friendship,one-night stands,a couple of relationships and everything in between.I know personally six people who married or are getting married to people they met on dating sites.The irish site i used has "social" events as well as one on one dating so you can meet people in a group situation which a lot of people seem to prefer.The main advice i'd give to peopel especially blokes going online for dating is dont act weird,dont stalk people or get abusive if they dont reply to a message you sent.A lot of people online arent seriously looking for dates,they'r ejust messing around so bear that in mind.Anyway it does work and is a good alternative to trying to chat people up at three am plastered out of your skull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Degsy wrote:
    dont act weird,dont stalk people or get abusive if they dont reply to a message
    Good advice that.

I've been hitched for the last four years so no need to use them. Wouldn't have a problem giving them a go if the usual avenues weren't working as quickly as I'd like.

They way I see it, the people on the interweb are much the same as the people in any bar in the country. Yeah, there's a slightly higher proportion of weirdos, but there are less scumbags, so it works out pretty evenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

Met my fiancee through Myspace. I realise that it's not a dating site, and it certainly wasn't for dating purposes that I had an account, it just "happened" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Degsy wrote:
    dont act weird,dont stalk people or get abusive

Darn, there goes all my favourite chat-up ploys :(

I have toyed around with the idea... in some ways it makes a lot more sense, so I wouldnt rule it out + certainly a lot of hotties out there :)

Aside from that I have met friends with mutual interests through the web, by discussion boards, though not - at least as yet - by this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Meeting people on the internet is weird....

...oh

...umm

Hi everyone!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Internet is just one of many ways to hook-up, no better or worse than pubing, clubing, SOCing, house parties, or whatever. They all have their upsides and downsides. Now, I've met people on boards... Oh, this is not a dating site? Oops!

^ There is a Personals section on adverts.ie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

I met my fiance through a dating site. So happy together.
    Met some weirdos on it too though in the beginning, but sure you meet weirdos everywhere.
    My advice would be just be yourself. No point in pretending you are someone you are not.
    Totally agree with Degsy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ive gone out with a couple of girls ive met online, only one through dating sites, the others through chat rooms and stuff. Ive been chatting to someone special now for nearly a year, we've met twice for several days a time and its been great, dont like the long distance thing but we'll sort something out soon. In my view its a great way to meet people compared to pubs/clubs etc because I got to know her really well before meeting and she was probably my best friend before we realised we'd deep feelings for each other!

So yeah it can work, obviously there are weirdos out there and be carefull who and how you meet but its just common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Usual rules:

1) Relax, have fun, don't expect miracles
    2) Don't pass on people who might make good friends: one of them might know the perfect match (happened to a bloke I know!)
    3) You'll probably meet a wierdo at some point, put it down to experience when you do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

daveball wrote:
    I am looking for feedback from people about what they expect from a dating website, any thing they think some of the irish sites lack, maybe I cam imprve on them, cheers

Imprve your spelling first, mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

Check all that apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

huh ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

lol question mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Damn. I'm older.

Hehe... sorry about that, but I was only allowed 10 questions, if I had 11 you might have been something else

You ticked everything, eh? Interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have multiple personalities, but only one boards account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Someone looking to do their marketing research on boards again? :rolleyes:

Thread merged with the d'other interweb dating one on the same page.

Nicely done, Ruu :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They tend to be used by people who have done the nightclub/pub scene and gotten bored to death by the rank shallowness and lack of vareity you tend to come up against at some stage in Dublin.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

SOCing
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I think they are fro gays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I wouldn't use them as a means of meeting people. I'm not saying you can't because I'm sure you can, but I think you can assess people better in person. It would be a last option for me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Sleepy wrote:
    :confused:

I thinking she means meeting people through societies, methinks. T'is the young people and their new fangled jargon!:)

Macra na Feirme all the way!

Advertisement