Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gig do you wish you were at?

Options
  • 13-10-2006 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭

There was a thread on here a while back about the best gigs you've ever been to and it got me to thinking what gig did you wish you could of been at?

For me it would have to be Radiohead live at Glastonbury 97. I remember reading that they werent even supposed to headline but somebody pulled out and they were thrown in. Having only just released OK computer and getting trashed talked in the media for being a passing fad there was a lot at stake. The on stage monitors werent working properly, it was p*ssing rain and Glasto was a swamp but they still went out and played what is widely acclaimed as one the best live performances of the modern age. Just google it and see the amount of polls where this came ahead of even the Beatles on the rooftop final performance. Evening listening to the recording I have of it sends shivers down my spine, damn I wish I was there for that.

Failing that a mad Christy Moore gig back in his heyday would be something to
    behold :eek:

Anyway as always no discussing gigs involving those who must not be named ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Metallica with Cliff Burton on the Ozzy tour, Pink Floyd at Pompeii, Led Zeppelin wherever and Hendrix at Woodstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ah yes Hendrix at Woodstock, never thought of that. Wouldnt you be wrecked if you had hung around until 7am when he finally came on and then said f*ck it lets go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Discussing past MCD gigs (pre-August '06) is fine, since it would be impossible to keep track of promotors.

When in doubt, check this list and, yes, ****** talk is still barred. Mentioning MCD venues is also subject to edits/bannings.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weezer - mykel and carli memorial show.

back when Rivers lost two of his closest friends and weezer actually had good music :p

also any journey gig just for the sake of been able to say i've seen journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

When dream theater played here in 2002, really wish I was a fan then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'd love to have been at Woodstock. The Ozzy gig where he bit the head off the bat. Any My Bloody Valentine gig from the Loveless era. Any Throbbing Gristle gig. A mid-80s Neubauten show and in addition their legendary performance at the ICA in London when the gig ended after 20 minutes when they drilled through the stage and started a riot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I really hate the fact that I missed the Reading festival the last time Rage Against The Machine played (2001 I think). A big pile of my friends went and I didn't get the finances together in time to join them. They said it was awesome :)

I'd also like to have been at pretty much any Pantera, Sepultura (original line up), Metallica (with Cliff) or Queen (:eek: I know) gigs as they're bands I only got in to after whatever associated tragedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Smashing Pumpkins gig at the SFX. Dont remember the exact year, but they were previewing Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness in Dublin for the first time in Europe at least. Think that says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Any of the dates on the Dream Theater / Queensryche tour as they are two of my favourite bands. Been to see both a couple of times, but together would have been amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Any Rage Against The Machine gig. I'd probably give my life just to have seen them once.

Any gig from The Battle Of L.A. tour would have been amazing. The Battle Of Mexico city especially

• Advertisement

Actually, Tool and RATM in the Red Hat would have been rather good...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Nirvana at Reading 1992.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Mushy wrote:
    Smashing Pumpkins gig at the SFX. Dont remember the exact year, but they were previewing Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness in Dublin for the first time in Europe at least. Think that says it all really

I really really wanted to go to this. It was summer 1995. They played 2 nights, one supported by Whipping Boy, one by Ash. It was before they became huge here and I was a big fan. Unfortunately - only being 15 at the time I had no money to get tickets. Still regret missing that one.

Also - I would have loved to see Sonic Youth supported by Nirvana in Dublin in 1991.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

Misfits with Glenn Danzig
    D.R.I. - Live at the Ritz
    Ministry the In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up tour
    Hawkwind - Space Ritual gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Max's Kansas City 1973. Bob Marley and Bruce Springsteen on the same bill. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I really really wanted to go to this. It was summer 1995. They played 2 nights, one supported by Whipping Boy, one by Ash. It was before they became huge here and I was a big fan. Unfortunately - only being 15 at the time I had no money to get tickets. Still regret missing that one.

BUMMER. My excuse is a bit more innocent. I was 6 at the time and didnt know or care for the SP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

John wrote:
    Any My Bloody Valentine gig from the Loveless era.
    Saw them in McGonagles. Jesus Christ they were loud.

Any Fugazi. Lightning Bolt in Whelans. The Boredoms show where Eye bulldozed the club. The Stooges last show. The Sex Pistols in 1976. Any Half Man Half Biscuit. Loads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Saw them in McGonagles. Jesus Christ they were loud.

That seems to be the general consensus about MBV live. I love them but I just know that I've missed out on 3/4 of the sound because the CD just doesn't have the same force as a PA and Kevin Shields!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Slane when Queen played. Any Queen gig actually.

feylya wrote:
    Actually, Tool and RATM in the Red Hat would have been rather good...

Where's the Red Hat? Went to them in The Tivoli around 1993. Tool were supposed to support them but didn't in the end & some crap irish band did instead, which we were all mightily pissed off about. It was a midnight gig, so RATM came on at about 1 or something & played about 50 minutes as they only had one album out at the time! The mosh was mental, but but tbh wasn't worth the effort of such a late hour for such a short set. Enjoyed them more at Feile!

• Advertisement

It may have been the Top Hat or something like that. My brain hates remembering names.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Any of the Jeff Buckley sin-é gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

feylya wrote:
    Metallica with Cliff Burton

That gets my vote, they played Ireland here back in 86, the sweat dripping off the walls....I believe I was 1 lol!

As well as that, the Beatles final rooftop performance, and Guns N Roses and Metallica with openers Faith No More in 1992

Oh, and ive already seen a gig that will inspire many of these answers, Machine Head in 2003

Or the time I saw Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Shadows Fall and God Forbid for 25Euro!

feylya wrote:
    It may have been the Top Hat or something like that. My brain hates remembering names.

I'd say it was the one I was at in the Tivoli so, as afaik the Top Hat was closed a while by the time RATM came over. It was closed before I started going to gigs anyhow.

Tool didn't end up playing as I mentioned previously & ya didn't end up missing much if it's any consolation!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Queen Live At Wembley
    Metallica and the San Francisco Orchestra
    Simon & Garfunkel live in Central Park 1981 (I think that was the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Symphony of Angels - Sonata Arctica and Nightwish in Cologne, December 2004. Would have loved to have seen that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

sambora wrote:
    Queen Live At Wembley

YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Wasn't that RATM gig in the tivoli where loads of adoring female fans threw
    their knickers at Zach? I remember an interview where he was apreciating the Irish audience's enthusiasm but saying he didn't really think they understood his lyrical content otherwise why would they throw their pants at him!!!:D
    Speaking of women's underwear the gig I'd most liked to have been at would be Kevin Rowland's unfortunate Reading comeback, where the audience - drunk & unimpressed by either Kevin's newfound transvestism or his set of heartfelt cover vesions, proceeded to pelt him with bottles of piss!
    "I'm singing to the best of my ability" the poor man pleaded...

I did however see 50 Cent recieve the same treatment at Reading several years later although he wasn't wearing stockings & suspenders at the time..

The Only other gigs i wish i'd been at are the ones I regret not going to! e.g. the above RATM gig, The Manics upstairs in Charlies bar in 1991 (no point in getting all dewy eyed about The stones in Hyde park when i wasn't even concieved)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I always wanted to see the Bee Gees. I am also to young to have witnessed the likes of Jimi Hendrix. And I would really like to see Paul Stanley (KISS) on his current US solo tour but moneywise I can barely get from Kilmainham to the city center :(

• Advertisement

Kingsize wrote:
    Wasn't that RATM gig in the tivoli where loads of adoring female fans threw
    their knickers at Zach?

God I don't remember that.. I just remember the crowd going mental. I didn't attempt to get into the mosh as it was just nuts & it was one of my first gigs!

Advertisement