Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flight sims x

Options
  • 14-10-2006 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

just spent the last 5 hours installing [trying to install]microsoft flight sims x delux edition,and installed second disc half hour into install to get error message file not found,,aah,,,,, am bring it back to-morrow and looking for refund,pain in my left ???anyone else any faults with the new flightsims ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

maby its from microsoft allways going to have problems.how big is the game.looks quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

the game is 15gb,,,am giving it the benifit of the doubt and reinstalling it again[trying to],the install has been running now for an hour and a half and not even half way ,,from what i have seen of the graphics it is very impressive,sorry thats all i can tell you at this time,should have said the error message i got was source file not found ?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Hey if you are getting a file missing error try installing the latest version of DirectX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

It may just be a damaged disc, but here is Microsoft's solution.

to all who offered help thank you...so to day i reinstalled fs/x.it went without a hitch,BUT it took 9 HOURS TO INSTALL,and when i clicked on the short cut to launch the program it took at least 15 mins to load,,,now at this stage i cant tell what its like as each time i set the settings my pc frezes,,dont think its my pc, so there, am going to try and get a refund on monday,,as far as i am concerned a waste of 80 euro

• Advertisement

what are the specs off your pc.

awhir a bit embarrised to tell you my specs when i see yours,but here goes,win xp pro,intel p4 1.70,512 mb,nvidia geforce fx 7500,and a seagate external 240 gb,have run direct x no problems updated my drivers,hope that helps,again this morning i tried to run the fs but after the splash screen is up for a few minutes nothing happens so when i go to the task manager the game is not responding,so at this stage maybe my [cough,cough] pc is not capable of running the flightsims,,?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Well there your problem right there ^

That rig wont Play Flight Simulator X, but it doesnt explain the 9 hour install or the 15 minute loading times.....

Maybe MS messed up? The first batch of disc could be borked...

P.s Whens the last time you did a virus scan?

ya could be the odd little ****er off a virus and them specs wont run that game.have you tryed installing any other games ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

is it any good. put it out in work and it looked nice on the back, but my brother has flight sim 2004 installed here and it's really difficult to control the planes. granted, i am trying to fly 747's in a similar fashion to fighter jets in battlefield2... but still :p

• Advertisement

yes i run an antivirus at least once a week,and to day nothing all clear,i use thrend antivirus,yes and i cant figure out why it is taking so long just been on flightsims.com reading some comments and the one that struck me was one user stated that he installed the same fs delux in 20 mins..?? beats me,no i havent removed any programs lucky me i was going to remove fs 2004 which is running perfect,glad now i dident,and to projectmayhem you will have to ask some other flightsimer how good it is ,,sorry,,so there thanks to all for the advice i will pack my fs delux off to a certain city shop and with cap in hand will ask for my money back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Were you installing it to the external hard drive ? Going by your specs that must be only connected via USB 1 which would go along way to explaining your 9 hour install times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yup, external hardrive and 15 gigs install = alternative to watching paint dry :)

yes i was [did] install it to the external hd,so that was the problem i would never have know that,,oh well you learn something every day,but i guess with my specs it still would not have run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

System Requirements

* Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista
    * PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
    * 256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
    * 14 GB available hard disk space
    * 32x speed or faster DVD-ROM drive
    * 32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required
    * Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
    * Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
    * 56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play
    So you should be able to play it, but its not going to look like the promo shots.

But you are going to run into problems running it off an external drive, especially one that slow. Can you move stuff off the PC drive onto the external one? Stuff like videos, pictures and music take up alot of space and don't need to be on a fast drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, it's not going to look like the promo shots for a while, until DirectX10 comes out, apparently. I installed it on saturday. It's pretty good. Took off from Dublin airport and could fly past the chimney stacks at Eastwall :) Never thought to look to see if the feckin' spike is there. Haven't tried all the features yet so I'll probably try the stunt planes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Id be amazed to see it run well at all on those specs OP, Im running a Athlon 64 4000 with two gigs of ram and two Geforce 6600s and I can have the graphics sliders up to only about three quarters quality so far. Must do some tweaking but the graphics are gorgeous and they've made a lot of improvements to the game.

If you find the planes hard to control make sure and turn down the realism setting (though it is low by default) and maybe do some of the lessons which are great for newbies.

Anyone interested in excellent irish scenery for FS2004 should check out www.ifsd.ie and download their free addons for irish aiports and scenery, its excellent! Not sure if it supports FSX yet tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

What models of aircraft are available on fs x? Any new commercial aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

List of aircraft...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X

Hundreds of 3rd party free and commercial ones available...

www.flightsim.com or www.avsim.com have the free ones.

Advertisement