Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smokers silk cut blue or major

Options
  • 14-10-2006 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

i dont normally post here and mods feel free to move if i'm in the wrong place.

i was having meself a jonnie blue there a minute ago and thought to meself i think i might go on the silk cut ultras or the other really week ones in order to give them up.
    but what got me thinkin is its all smoke and im sure they do the same harm as the strong ones do to your lungs. Is it proven though i doubt it?
    whats got me thinkin is...
    what do ye smoke and for what reasons? is it cause ye think the silk cut ultra are doing ye more good then the 20 major ye could smoke?just wondering?

what do u smoke, if u do, and why do u smoke it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I was a chronic asthmatic when I was younger and my lunges collapsed so many times that I lost half a lunge. I know I’ll be slated for this but I used to smoke Johnny blue for years and had an attack as an adult (some of you may doubt the adult part) but I went onto silk cut blue. I’ve been told so many times that I might as well smoke johnny blue as you pull a harder drag off a lighter smoke just for the same intake. I don’t know if this is true but it kinda makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Kiera wrote:
    I was a chronic asthmatic when I was younger and my lunges collapsed so many times that I lost half a lunge. I know I’ll be slated for this but I used to smoke Johnny blue for years and had an attack as an adult (some of you may doubt the adult part) but I went onto silk cut blue. I’ve been told so many times that I might as well smoke johnny blue as you pull a harder drag off a lighter smoke just for the same intake. I don’t know if this is true but it kinda makes sense.
    I somehow doubt that and refuse to believe it myself.

I smoke Camel light these days but used to smoke Marlboro light for years. When I just started I was on B&H decided to cut down, moved to Marlboro light and were on them for years and only in the past few months have moved to Camel Light. They taste better and somehow taste like they've less chemicals. Intend to have fully quit within the next month though and finally be free of the filthy things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blooeyes

i roll my own. golden virginia, and was told by a doc if ur going to smoke anything then rolling ur own was beta as less crap in the fag, i use filters too. but yes i must give up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

rb_ie wrote:
    Thats ok R. You dont have to believe it. I'm just telling the man what i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Kiera wrote:
    I’ve been told so many times that I might as well smoke johnny blue as you pull a harder drag off a lighter smoke just for the same intake. I don’t know if this is true but it kinda makes sense.

Heard that myself too a ton of times.
    I smoked a box of Ultras a while back, and aside from them being horrible, I had to inhale way deeper than I would with anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Kiera wrote:

*slates kiera*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

rb_ie wrote:

I smoke Camel light these days but used to smoke Marlboro light for years. When I just started I was on B&H decided to cut down, moved to Marlboro light and were on them for years and only in the past few months have moved to Camel Light. They taste better and somehow taste like they've less chemicals. Intend to have fully quit within the next month though and finally be free of the filthy things.
    quitting within the next month never works. 90% of smokers are quitting within the next month*. the only way to quit is to do it now

*may not be exactly true but you get the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

have always smoked john player blue for the last 16 years. Smoke about 30 a day now.

Did try the silk cut once but ended up smoking twice as many, practically chain smoking cos i couldnt get a proper drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I smoked 50 Major a day for years. Off them since August 31st 1997. :D

I always found light cigarettes were too much work. Girls who smoke light cigarettes sometimes have 'drawn' faces from trying to get a proper pull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I smoked 50 Major a day for years. Off them since August 31st 1997. :D

I always found light cigarettes were too much work. Girls who smoke light cigarettes sometimes have 'drawn' faces from trying to get a proper pull.

LOL

Oh and well done on giving up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I heard that lighter cigarettes have more cancer causing stuff in them. Now i heard this from the same source that told me diet coke causes more cancer than regular coke......

instead of going for a lighter smoke, you could go for a heavier nicorette patch :). Ignore them silly rules of just using one patch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

There are more chemicals in lighter cigarettes, what these chemicals do im not sure but they arent good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Just quit, its easy, I gave up smoking 30 or 40 a day recently, you are slightly unconfortable for a couple of days and thats it, read Alan Carrs book

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm sorry, but how could anybody smoke John Player Blue? They are the most disgusting tasting thing that I've ever had the misfortune of putting in my mouth. Not to mention that they're the cigarette equivalent of Dutch Gold. Mmm, common.

I started smoking Camel Lights, moved on to Marlboro Lights once Camels started getting scarce. On the odd occasion that I'd smoke a full strenght cigarette, I only take half a pull each time because they're too strong for me, and rip my throat. So no, I don't think I inhale deeped when smoking light cigarettes.

Also, like someone else said, rolling your own is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

all cigarettes are disgusting.

then again, i gave up 2 months ago and dont miss them at all.
    but i tend to give up for 18 months, go back on them for 6 months, realise what a stupid loser thing it is to do, and give up again :)

/smug x infinity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I went from B&H's to Silk Cut Blues and after about 2 or 3 months on them I gave up (much easier than giving up B&H's - which I had failed to do twice before) ... I used Nicorette lozenges and was off them with little side effects (cranky as **** for a while) ... the lozenges tasted like polo mints and I found it impossible to smoke while you have that mint taste in your mouth...

Give them up, your body will thank you when you can run 100 yards without needing a lie down and an oxygen mask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm just off them, but smoked Gitanes for years, until it got too hard to get them over here. Personally I found that black tabaco was doing me less harm, less chemicals I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I smoke Camel Lights and Light Blue Drum RYO.

I started on B&H years ago, then Marlboro Lights, now Camel Lights. Lovely cigarettes they are.

Is there a smoking forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

just had my first cigarette after 5 months off them the craving was immense i just said **** it' one just to stop this bloody craving. i wont be going back on them though i just need one to get over this . i dont think anyone who has ever smoked is well and truly off them , the cravings never subside once a smoker always a smoker , you are just arresting the situation for as long as you can and maybe thats until the day you die , same as the drink :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

seansouth wrote:
    Is there a smoking forum?

There is indeed, pm Sarge/Papa Smut for access. You'd probably be best off asking Papa Smut, Sarge is rarely around these days afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

the only way to quit is to do it now

Wrong. Different people will need different strategies to beat an addiction. While some (few) people can give up on the spur of the moment and stay off, some (most?) people will need to be able to set themselves goals or milestones in order to get through the process.

The plan I took to give up smoking (successfully, off them almost 4 years now) was to gradually cut down in strenght and number, and finally kick them for good.
    Faith wrote:
    I'm sorry, but how could anybody smoke John Player Blue? They are the most disgusting tasting thing that I've ever had the misfortune of putting in my mouth.

You need to own either a 'tache and a tracksuit, or €3 hoopy earrings and pink pyjamas to smoke them.
    curehead wrote:
    the cravings never subside once a smoker always a smoker

They do, it just takes a LONG time (as in a couple of years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The ONLY difference between light and regular ciggies is the amount and size of th perforations in the filter and the depth of the actual filter itself.
    Apart from that, there is NO difference between the actula tobaccos except for between brands....marly lights, mediums and regulars are all the same tobbaco for instance.

I only smoke when I drink these days, but when I do it's Carrols no1 (supporting local industry :p)...never saw the point in lights....either smoke or don't smoke...there is no light.
    I somke the odd spliff now and again; unfiltered tobacco and what not is very bad for the old lungs...especially since you tend to hold the smoke in longer...

The argument about deep lung embolisms/carcinoma being caused by the deeper inhalation of light cigarettes has been about for years and to me at least, makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I find this thread offensive but i dont know why yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

*coughs*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

[strike]Thread locked until a move to Smoking can be arranged or hell freezes over. Whichever happens. Who knows? I don't. I only mod here.[/strike]
    Thread thawed(?). I had sent a PM to Papa Smut requesting access to Smoking for myself and the other posters here - I have yet to receive a reply...

No over-simplified "smoking's bad, mmmkay." tripe. The topic has been provided by the OP - stick to it.

Hmmm-K:

Access granted for:
    charlie@w.d
    Kiera
    rb_ie
    blooeyes
    seansouth
    Karoma

Welcome, put on your smoking jacket, welcome to the smoking room, sign the charter, anyone else PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

quitting within the next month never works. 90% of smokers are quitting within the next month*. the only way to quit is to do it now

*may not be exactly true but you get the idea

bullsh*t.

At the beginning of June 2000 I told my girlfriend that I would try and give up smoking 'by the end of the month'.

I smoked my last cigarette on 25 June 2000 and have had none since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Started off on Carrolls many years ago & have gone through Silk Cut Purple, JPB, Rothmans, Marlboro, Marlboro Lights, Camel, Camel Lights & have been on B&H for the past few years.

Fave smoke - Camel Medium, but can't seem to find them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Thread shifted from AH to Smoking forum with open re-direct.
    Thanks PS; expect a few more PMs ;)

Advertisement