Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Ownership abolished in Cork City

Options
  • 14-10-2006 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Cork City Council has ended the Shared Ownership scheme. Will other Councils follow their example?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well, when i went a while back to inquire for Fingal Council housing, i was told that shared ownership was being 'discouraged' and instead pointed me in direction of affordable housing!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

I presume they'll still let you buy the affordable home through Shared Ownership?

They may as well abolish Shared Ownership on properties bought on the open market. For whatever reason, the maximum loan is far too small for current prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

gurramok wrote:
    Well, when i went a while back to inquire for Fingal Council housing, i was told that shared ownership was being 'discouraged' and instead pointed me in direction of affordable housing!

afforrdable housing is often purchased through shared ownership. That's probably what they meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

I presume they'll still let you buy the affordable home through Shared Ownership?

They may as well abolish Shared Ownership on properties bought on the open market. For whatever reason, the maximum loan is far too small for current prices.

No They no longer allow the purchase of affordable housing through shared ownership. They have shut down the scheme. You now need to get a mortgage from a bank for the full amount.

Shared Ownership was never really intended or used for purchasing on the open market. That is why the maximum loan was restricted. It was designed to be used in conjunction with affordable housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

mentalson wrote:
    afforrdable housing is often purchased through shared ownership. That's probably what they meant

Yes, something like that, they dont allow it anymore is what i was told
    Think its something to do with 'minimizing' potential debt burden on buyers :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement