Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing - How much and did it work?

Options
  • 14-10-2006 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi All

I was wondering has anyone out there gotten a bedroom soundproofed recently? What was the cost? Also did it solve the problem. Does soundproofing completely block out noise of just dampen it?

The main problems I'm trying to deal with is the sound of people walking on wooden floors and slamming doors. And the sound of what sounds like pipes vibrating or humming in the walls.

Thanks to anyone who gets back to me with info.

Dakan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Do you mean noise coming from your own home or from neighbours?

What sort of building are you in, Semi-d, apartment, etc.?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

Noise is coming from the neighbours. I live in an apartment on top of a two storey duplex. The apartment beside me is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Teddyhandsome

Soundproofing will only dampen the sound from next door if it is airborne sound. What you have described is impact sound and nothing you do to the walls will reduce this!:o

One way to dampen impact noise is to build another stud wall, separated from the existing wall.

Unfortunately it may still come in via the floor & ceiling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 zoom

i was talking to a slabber recently about sound proofing he felt that double slabbing was the best form of sound proofing around bathrooms etc that was for general sounds though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

zoom wrote:
    i was talking to a slabber recently about sound proofing he felt that double slabbing was the best form of sound proofing around bathrooms etc that was for general sounds though
    It may help, but as Teddyhandsome says, only for airborne sound. Impact sound will use any material in its path as a medium. It really depends on how the media conduct sound energy. Double slabbing will probably work better for airborne sound with an air gap between the slabs.

Advertisement