Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student broadband

Options
  • 14-10-2006 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

What's the best company around to go to for broadband for students? We're in Limerick and were going to go for Smart but aren't to sure after all the publicity of the last few weeks.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Most of the DSL resellers have 6 month contracts, so you should be able to choose the cheapest / the one that suits ye best. Beware of caps, though, if there are a few of ye with a few PCs, etc.

I'd guess that Smart broadband is fine .. even if they go bust, the BB side is worth a lot so will be snapped up with little/no interruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Go with Smart, so long as you're happy to be tied into a 12 month contract. Temporarily 6Mb and no caps means you wouldn't have to worry about excess charges due to overuse.

And on the point about Smart - the only why they can go grow stronger in the future is if they sign up more and more customers. Since the issue seems to have settled itself down with BB customers, I'd say go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'd say Digiweb, six month contract, speeds up to about 4mb (DSL not Metro) which'll be fine as it will, I presume, be being used for study purposes and not 15hr Counter-Strike sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

digiweb vote++;

Students ourselves in LIM and on 3meg Metro. No complaints bar the phone service no working.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Try a different phone handset. The Tesco OneTel DECT cordless and Eircom "Boyne" work for me, but not a Chorus supplied Siemens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement