Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian literature

Options
  • 14-10-2006 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

This might not be the right place for this but...

Lately I've been reading books by Russian authors (and loving it!) notably One Day in the Life of Ivban Denisovich. Anyway the question is why do some of the characters in these novels seem to have several names?
    (e.g. Ivan Denisovich is referred to as Shukov etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I noticed that too!! Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment was also referred to as Rodion Romanych (I think). This whole naming system can get very very confusing. I understand the system a little bit but I honestly had to stop reading 'Devils' a quarter of the way through because I honestly didn't know who was who.

Read 'A Hero of our Time' by Mikhail Lermontov. It's my favourite Russion novel. The name thing doesn't get in the way too much anyway;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

I don't know the answer to your question,but read Chekhov's short stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jinc

Wikipedia knows all. Dostoyevsky is the only Russian I've ever read, and I know what you mean about the names. Half way through Crime and Punishment I'd forgotten who'd commited the crime. I'm thinking of reading some of Tolstoy, does anyone know a good place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

jinc wrote:
    Half way through Crime and Punishment I'd forgotten who'd commited the crime

LOL excellent,
    :D:D

I wouldn't start with any of the bigger novels. I found 'The Death of Ivan Ilyich' really good, its quite short as well.

Don't forget to check out 'A Hero of Our Time' by Mikhail Lermontov.

Advertisement