Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSP - Some decent games at last

• 14-10-2006 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Hey there people. I was among the first to get a PSP in Ireland but had to return it because of the dead pixel syndrome that blighted the launch systems (or is it still a problem?). I'm very happy with my DS and it's growing collection of classic games but one or two titles for the PSP have made me sit up and take note, Ridge Racer 2, Tekken and Vice City stories.... the three of those game are so tempting I'm half tempted myself to run out and buy a PSP for a THIRD time just to play these gems, the only thing stopping me of course is the ridiculous price point it still sits at for the basic PSP pack. Any news on when Playstation are planning a semi decent price cut on the PSP?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

got viewtiful while ago, horrible
    also mega man power up ****E.

ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I think sony have stated there wont be another price cut anytime soon.

There are alot of good games coming out and theyre almost here:
    Vice City Stories
    Killzone LIberation
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
    Monster Hunter 2
    Socom 2
    medal of honour
    rainbox six vegas

Theres alot more coming out soon, but dont have list

anyway i havent played my psp in ages and i tried to charge it a week or two ago and it said it was fully charged at 80%.....
    Does this mean the battery has decreased in power and I need a new one or should I try again and see what happens?

Anyway was wondering because to update firmware you need 100% charged right, so would I be able to to update?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If the PSP is running off the mains then you can update, i think.

Have actually started playing my PSP a bit now. Loco Roco, Ultimate Gn'G and Gradius collection are fantastic. Still the DS is getting much more play time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

my PSP is back to life now thanks to syphon filter. i was going to get ridge racers 2, but apparently it's last years game with a few extra tracks and a bloom effect added to the graphics engine. tekken looks tempting though

...they're all just filler until i get my mits on killzone and VCS though :D

not sure whether to update firmware still, il try and charege again, nad if it doesnt go up to100 il maybe get new battery, if new games are worth it:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

shortys94 wrote:
    I think sony have stated there wont be another price cut anytime soon.
    Sounds like Sony alright, losing out to Nintendo hand over fist and then declaring "NO, NO PRICE CUTS". Idiots, if the machine was in the €100-€150 range with a decent enough memory card, I'd have no problems buying one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Burnout Legends, LCS and Tiger Woods '07 are great. I'm currently waiting for the Power Stone Collection and Star Trek: Tactical Assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

killzone liberation might shake the dust off of mine hopefully :) looks sweet

yea got a 90/100 on ign

http://www.pspfanboy.com/

also the video for mgs looks sweet

shortys94 wrote:
    also the video for mgs looks sweet

MGS: PO incidentally got best game of show at TGS

• Advertisement

yea, and good news, rumours circulating that 3.0 firmware beta test has been sent out to certain people from your psp, anyway check out www.pspfanboy.com

states that it contains ps1 emulation, hoepfully its true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I got rid of my old games and tried out a few of the new arrivals.
    Monster Hunter Freedom and Lego Star Wars are brilliant :)

Also, if you want to get a PSP a bit cheaper get it second hand from adverts.ie.
    I got mine there with GTA:LCS and I'm very happy with it.

Besides, you can check if it has any dead pixels, not something a shop would let you do with a brand new one, so I think it's just an added bonus!

Get a receipt of the seller and you'll have warranty. Doesn't get much better than that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I've been playing a lot of Star Wars Lego II and can also recommend Ridgeracer 2, especially if you loved the first Ridge on the PS1.

Games I'd also recommend:
    Burnout Legends
    Lumines
    Tekken: Dark Ressurection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Was very tempted to buy the gradius collection. I love retro gaming
    Currently playing Ultimate GnG!

i downloaded loco roco demo and ridge racer and wts demo,

loco roco is great

cant wait for ps1 downlaods, im thinking FFVII

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sofireland wrote:
    Was very tempted to buy the gradius collection. I love retro gaming
    Currently playing Ultimate GnG!

You should buy it. You won't be disappointed. Best thing on the PSP other than lumines.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Tekken Rocks,
    One of my mates picked up my psp with Tekken and about 5 hours later put it down!
    I still go back everyfew days and beat the crap out of it.

tekken sounds good, might be a nice halloween game to get:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

If I was to buy a new psp I would just go for a 1.5-2.71FW psp with the old motherboards. Pick up a 4GB stick and do.......stuff....ya know.

Anyone play Work Time Fun (WTF) yet? It's a really strange collection of mini-games. Like putting lids on top of pens, counting chickens and doing that thing with a knife that Bishop does in Aliens.

Might get vice city stories to day but wanted to know which would be better and less repetitive, vcs or killzone liberation?

Also around how much would i get for lcs traded in in smyths?

• Advertisement

shortys94 wrote:
    Might get vice city stories to day but wanted to know which would be better and less repetitive, vcs or killzone liberation?

Also around how much would i get for lcs traded in in smyths?

got both and i can't stop playing killzone. it's a tough game. actually challenging, and fun. VCS is good, definitely better then LCS, but man oh man is killzone great

(but don't let me sway you :p)

gfx wise? and is killzone repetitive at all? also is it a very far away view of the character in play constantly?

shortys94 wrote:
    gfx wise? and is killzone repetitive at all? also is it a very far away view of the character in play constantly?

VCS looks about the same as LCS did (compared to their big brothers). i think the fact that killzone was custom built for the PSP helps it graphically (it also uses havok physics, gwan the irish.. etc.). i haven't gotten very far in killzone yet but it's not repretetive at all thus far. though having said that, i am a bit of a killzone fanboy...

and yeah, it's always isometric. guerilla games realised first-person mode simply doesn't work on psp

i bought killzone, its good, will have to play a bit tomorrow but the view does strain the eyes a tad:P

What it like just cruising around in vice city stories, i heard the gfx have improved alot from lcs.

Anyway ill play killzone more tomorrow and if i dont like it whats the best excuse to use if i bought it in smyths for giving it back and getting vice city stories? Doesnt work on my psp, tell my mum to go in and say she bought wrong game but i bought it, anyway what works in smyths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

(it also uses havok physics, gwan the irish.. etc.)

Dont most popular, modern and decent games employ the havok engine in their games though?

I Happen to have six game cases in front of me, and four of them use havok.

but *ahem*

gwan the the orish indeed :D

Maybe it's finally time to invest in a psp afterall.... Although I have got my wii preordered, and with xmas coming up cashflow wont be great, especially with some of the big 360 titles coming out.

Damn you game developers and your Q4 releases!!!!!!!! :(

killzone is the best game on the psp hands down by a country mile :D

yea i find its more appealing, but i dont know vcs sounds great, i wonder how much i would get in smyths if i traded in lcs

Dont most popular, modern and decent games employ the havok engine in their games though?

well yeah, havok is the most popular engine in the industry... but i haven't seen it on the back of any PSP games yet!
    shortys94 wrote:
    yea i find its more appealing, but i dont know vcs sounds great, i wonder how much i would get in smyths if i traded in lcs

xtra-vision have some sort of price guarantee with traded games. try your local one first. maybe just ring around and get the best price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Vice City Stories is without a doubt the best game on PSP at the moment, huge improvement over LCS which I wasn't that big of a fan of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Okay my mind is made up, I'll buy the PSP, still a DS fanboi, but there's too many games out n the PSP i just have to play:o. Just a couple of questions though.........

1)What's the deal with dead pixels these days?, are they still prevalent on new machines like they were at launch, because if they are, no thanks.

2)The white PSP (the one I want to get), only seems to come in a base unit pack, with on the AC adapter included, not even the poxy 32mb pro duo card. Does anyone know of anywhere (Smyths, Byrnes, Gamestop, Xtravision or somewhere else) that does some sort of deal where a game is thrown in and perhaps a memory card... well really, does anyone know anywhere that's doing any kind of half decent bundle deal.

3)The games I was planning on getting are Ridge Racer 2 (main reason for buying PSP, got to love that game ever since RRT4), Tekken: Dark Resurrection and GTA: Vice City Stories...
    Yay/Nay?, I think the three of those will do nicely, Ideally I'd like a quality FPS but I'll have to wait until Sony pull something out of their ringpiece.

Good god, I pray there's no dead pixels...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Laguna wrote:

Good god, I pray there's no dead pixels...:(

I got a white one in Game yesterday and it has 1 dead pixel on the left hand side (out of main view).

It doesn't bother me that much and I think 1 or 2 is normal for any LCD.

Get yourself some loco roco. It's happier than even Katamari.

I am finding killzone to be great now, its really addictive now and its challenging!
    THanks for advice on xtravision projectmayhem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I may get Killzone myself along with Tekken.

Tekken brings back memories. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Nobody has mentioned Exit yet, and this makes me sad. It's the bestest game out on the PSP. Check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Laguna wrote:

3)The games I was planning on getting are Ridge Racer 2 (main reason for buying PSP, got to love that game ever since RRT4), Tekken: Dark Resurrection and GTA: Vice City Stories...
    Yay/Nay?, I think the three of those will do nicely, Ideally I'd like a quality FPS but I'll have to wait until Sony pull something out of their ringpiece.

The original Ridge Racer is worth thinking about, not that much has changed in the second version and the first is bound to be much cheaper at this stage.

Definitely go for the other games you listed. Medal of Honour Heroes is a pretty decent FPS...probably the best on psp.

Nobody has mentioned Exit yet, and this makes me sad. It's the bestest game out on the PSP. Check it out!

i've looked at it and would like to have a go but the chances of me paying €50 for something which will most likely be a novelty game next to GTA and Killzone are slim...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Whatever about Killzone, GTA is a console game shoehorned onto a handheld. If you want to play a game that's an absolute perfect fit for the PSP - in terms of use of that lovely screen, controls, structure, play-time, downloadable content, EXIT is that game. It's not some throwaway novelty game, it's one of the best designed games in years.

Must give exit a go. Never really got why GTA is so popular. Sure it's fun but I've played far better games. I usually find myself forcing myself to play them just for the sake of finishing them (especially LCS).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I tried out Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins today.. man.. it does look great, it brings me back to the days or zx spectrum and commodore, but it has to be the most frustrating game on PSP !

I can't even get past the first level! :P

• Advertisement

Come on it's not that tough. Sure you die a lot but you get more than enough lives and hit points to finish each level and then you save after each one.

Have to say I started it on the hardest level were the damage and lives are just like in the old games. I've 1 credited Gn'G in the arcades and on the megadrive and have finished Super Gn'G so thought it would be no problem. Way too many respawning bad guys! it was back to the start for me at the far more manageable medium difficulty.

i dunno, maybe we're spoilt these days but i agree with netman - its most difficult game i've played this year (played it on the gba too and brought it back) but the psp version looks great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Come on it's not that tough. Sure you die a lot but you get more than enough lives and hit points to finish each level and then you save after each one.

Have to say I started it on the hardest level were the damage and lives are just like in the old games. I've 1 credited Gn'G in the arcades and on the megadrive and have finished Super Gn'G so thought it would be no problem. Way too many respawning bad guys! it was back to the start for me at the far more manageable medium difficulty.

I played all of the old arcade versions and the home versions on the c64, snes etc. I think this one is a lot harder than any of them. Some times you're in the middle of a jump when the screen fills with spawning enemies and there's no escape. There's a line that a game crosses when it is just too frustrating to be fun and I think this has gone way over it. That 3rd level in the castle when you're floating about had me pulling my hair out. Took me ages to get past it.

Advertisement