Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating skills - C#, .NET, ASP.NET, Java, etc.

Options
  • 14-10-2006 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

OK. Here's the deal. I've been working with nothing other than C/C++ for the past 9 years in work. It's been mostly device drivers and middleware so there hasn't been any scope or excuse to apply any of the snazzy whizbang platforms and frameworks that are knocking around.

Over the past couple of months I've been reading up and mucking around with C#, .NET and ASP.NET. I'm no black belt but I've put a few apps together and I want to build on this.

I think the best way forward right now is to get a couple of books that work through things. Ideally I would like to become proficient in e-commerce applications with some element of database access. So I'd appreciate it if some of the more wisened programmers here to recommend books in this area. I'd really rather have a book I can read offline and ideally from play.com as I'll probably be ordering some other stuff for Christmas.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bazolsen

Hi Father D.

I'd recommend http://www.asp.net/modules/morebooks.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=41 for a start out for your quest for ASP.Net/C# books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I got an O'Reilly book on C# a while ago. It was great.

http://www.oreilly.com/store/complete.html

Unbelievable selection there. Mine was Pro C# something or other.

If you know Java, there is one there for Java programmers. C# is very similar in some ways (basics) to Java. In fact there is a programme that can automatically convert Java to C# <-- Pointless info of the day.

Anyway if your looking for a good IDE. I suggest the Open Source Sharp Develop. I've had Ms express products crash on me during my 4th year project. Thank god for backups.

Advertisement