Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three phase ESB connection

• 14-10-2006 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Does anyone know the approx. cost of getting a 3 phase
    esb connection compared to a standard connection?
    I just found out that the geothermal heat pump I am planning to
    get installed is 3 phase.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Entirely depends on how far your house is from the nearest three phase line or transformer. If you are very rural it may even not be possible.
    You need to talk to your local ESB office before you order the geothermal unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are we not talking serious extra rental charges for 3-phase?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I don't know if you can get 3 phase resedential connetions
    business connection charges here
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/connections_metering/business_connection_charges.jsp

how much power does the pump need ?
    can you get a single phase version
    maybe you could get some kind of electronic convertor/invertor if it don't need too much power,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Unless your house is extremely large, 4000sq foot +, you should not need a 3 phase unit, as they have a softstart feature, just get the enhanced supply. We enquired about getting three phase at the time of building, but althought we had three phase only 300m's away it was going to cost twice the price of the enhanced, and we would have been waiting months, as it's a separate application process to domestic supply.

We are running a heat pump for a 3500 sq foot house, on normal esb at the moment, (as they still haven't connected up our enhanced supply) and the lights only dim a tiny amount when the pump starts.

P.s. Anyone know how you would know if you had the enhanced supply? should there be a transformer on the pole or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John1000

Thanks for the replies,

The unit is an IVT Greenline Ht Plus. I'm not sure about how about
    how mush power it needs. It's for an 2500sq foot house.
    I think I'll reconsider my options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 useless info

I recently upgraged a single phase domestic supply to a 3 phase domestic suppl for the purpose of installing a 3 phase heat pump.
    The dwelling in question is only 1500 sq foot.
    What happens is a typical domestic supply/MIC agreement with the ESB is for 12kVA irrespective of the size of the dwelling. This MIC had to be increased form 12kVA to 16kVA MIC (Maximum import capacity). This has no net additional cost to your bill i.e. if you are using say 100 units bi-monthly single phase or 100 units bi-monthly 3 phase, your unit cost will remain the same.
    There is a slight(2%-3%) additional cost for your connection agreement.
    There is a capital contribution cost for installing the new 3 phase cable to your dwellnig and this is obviously network dependent. Also a 3 phase meter needs to be installed at the dwelling. there are obvious down tmies when installing the meter, but generally no more than a couple of hours at most.
    The total cost to thw ESB to upgrade the supply cable and install a new meter was in the order of €963 exclusive of VAT. That was in Clontarf, Dublin 3.
    Quite cheap we reckoned.
    Also note there are some modifications required to the existing conumer unit if single phase is already installed.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

What does a 3-phase line look like? I have a pole with 3 parallel wires just in front of my house, is that it?

If that's it, are they still looking at how far away is the property to the nearest 3-phase transformer in terms of cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭DC999

That post was from 2006 so the costs are gonna be a lot different

Advertisement