Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer running slow - any idea why?

• 14-10-2006 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I use a Fujitsu Siemens laptop.

Pentium 4/2.5Ghz
    512Mb RAM
    40Gb HD
    XP/Pro

For the last while this laptop has been running noticably slower. e.g. Opening, say, Control Panels folder, the icons take a while to populate the folder and change from b&w to colour.

Even with just Firefox open, if I go Start/My Computer, the Windows Torch symbol appears (signifying that it's looking for the folder) instead of just opening immediately, as it used to.

This evening I had Outlook, Firefox and Photoshop open. It took an age to open an image file. It never used to be like this.

When I open Task Manager, CPU usage is minimal and there is RAM to spare. Yet it is still like a snail!

I have AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG Anti-Virus. I updated them all this evening and ran a total scan. Nothing of any consequence appeared.

Any idea what might be wrong or what I might check?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you had long? How full is your hard drive? Its fairly tiny @40gb. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Hi,

Yes, it is, but four years ago 40Gb was fairly standard!

28Gb used of 37Gb.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

have you ever defraggled the hard drive?
    worth a shot if you haven't done so yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yes defrag. That is the most likely cause of the problem.

Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools

If you have less than 15% free HD space, you could probably do with deleting files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Clear out the TEMP folder, try to free up a bit of diskspace and defrag as the others suggested. Turn of the indexing service if its turned out and you don't really use the search feature a whole lot. Open My Computer->Right click on the C drive and untick the box beside Allow Indexing Service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Did you run a complete virus,rootkit,trojan,scan.There could be a really stubborn virus hidden somewhere.This is the usual cause of a slowdown in speed.Also clear out your registery using a registery cleaner,this could also help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

a handy free tool for cleaning temp files and the registry is easycleaner . get it here http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Thanks guys.

I defrag more often than I vacuum, so that's not the problem! ;-)

Will try the registry cleaner and let you know how I get on.

D.

I downloaded the program.

Very neat. Nice user interface.

I ran a few of the options......Registry, Duplicates, Unnecessary and IE cache clearout.

I then went to defrag and the program wouldn't open! I then tried to access it via My Computer/Properties and it said that the program wasn't installed! Scary!

Fortunately, as per the EasyCleaner instructions, I had left everything in the recycle bin, so I just Restored everything. Once again the Defrag program opened.

I then tried the options one at a time. After Registry, Unnecessary and IE Cache (obviously) Defrag was still there, so it must have been something in Duplicates that was lost and preventing it from opening.

When I run Duplicates, I get thousands of hits, mostly from Adobe Photoshop related files and programs. Too many to select and delete individually. Far too many, in fact. So, I think I'll just leave the Duplicate option unless someone has a way round that problem. i.e. how to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Ta.

D.

Advertisement