Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Command Line Interface on New Router

Options
  • 14-10-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Just bought a new router and while I was expecting a web based GUI, it's mainly configured using a serial console. I have no idea how to configure this for network settings, adsl and qos.

It's a Huawei AR 18-30 adsl router, from what I've read it's a quality router but on the down side it doesn't come with an instruction manual, other than how to log into it using telnet and uploading files using xmodem.

There are no manuals for configuration on the Huawei website but I did notice something in the install manual about 3com, so I looked up Huawei and 3com and ghot H3C, (www.huawei-3com.com) and found a manual for the comware V3 command manual, it's over 2000pages long.

So I could read the manual, and find out it was completely irrelevant.
    So in short, my couple of questions are:
    is there an easy way to configure command line based routers,
    better yet is there a wizard that will let me configure adsl settings
    and last, if there's no easy way, is it gonna take me a month or two to learn the information.

I'm currently studying cisco certificaiton, but havn't got as far as router configuration yet, but on top of that, if it's 3com based syntax is it going to be different from that of cisco?

Thanks for any help that can be offered,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Just log into it via telnet and have a look around , it should be easy enough to suss out . ? will probably give you a list of directories , it should list stuff like wan , lan , firewall .Change into each directory and have a look around , then look up the manual for the relevant bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Thanks Bushy, will give it a try. Have the manual and as I said a whopping 2000 pages long. Luckly enough I'm in no rush to get it up and running.

Thanks again,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Apparently these things used to work exactly likely a cisco, but they were legally 'encouraged' to change their interface.

So best approach might be to register for access to the support forums where it's likely that there's some chance of getting a sample configuration.

Advertisement