Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric doors and winter problem ....

Options
  • 14-10-2006 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

We have a Ford focus that has an alarm (with key fob) that opens all doors when deactivating the alarm .... i.e. fairly standard setup ....

It works perfectly all summer but as soon as the temp drops ..... first and every frosty morning this happens .....

1st thing on a cold morning ..... alarm switches off ok .... all doors unlock ok .... and immediately all doors re-lock :(

only way I can open front doors is to use key on each door ....:o

only way I can open back doors is to press the inside unlock button after getting in the front door(s) ......:cool:

so ....... off I go on my journey ..... car warms up .... 10 minutes later or so as I drive along all the doors I didn't bother to open (with the key or inside button) suddenly unlock :eek: .... don't worry, they don't open .... just unlock (as both the cabin temp or engine compartment temp rises) .... :rolleyes:

Any ideas ? ....:confused:

I called a couple of Ford garages ..... they don't believe it .... :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

given the voltage of a battery, any battery, falls with falling temp, especially freezing, I suspect it is a battery temperature voltage related problem.

Here, try this. Attach your batt to a charger overnight, this will keep it both charged and warm, thus at peak voltage on the morning...see what happens and report back.... that give me some time to think of the other possibilities.

ps. how many Summers/Winters has this being happening?.

[It is not necessary to remove it from the car, but if security insists that you cannot leave your hood open/unlocked and outdoors overnight, then remove it or the complete car+ batt to the indoors. I have no idea how removing the batt from the car will screw up your radio and alarm presets.],

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like a voltage issue alright, any signs of the battery light on when the car is running?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Thanks guys for the quick response ...... I have to say the battery is the original (7 yrs now) and never let me down in that time as far as starting goes ... winter or summer

It's been happening for the past couple of winters so it could be a battery life problem ..... I'll get it checked as soon as we hit first frosts ....

can't say I've ever noticed the battery light coming on when engine is running ....

How do you guys feel about a 7 year old Focus battery 60k miles ? .... does it sound Old to you ? ....
    Here, try this. Attach your batt to a charger overnight, this will keep it both charged and warm, thus at peak voltage on the morning

I like that idea ..... I can setup the charger with the battery remaining fitted in the car without any problems so that is certainly a good test once the frost arrives ......

we are going to have frosts this year ? .... :confused: ..... the weather has been amazingly mild so far ....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

weird:confused:

Advertisement