Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A month on and still no luck of finding a club

Options
  • 14-10-2006 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Ah ive tried emailing millions of clubs and no luck, i went up to bornabrena gun club this after noon and everything was all locked up. :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I reckon you'll have to try phoning ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

There wasnt even a sign outside the range to say what it was, i was hoping for a contact number on the gate or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Hey anxious

Courtlough in balbriggan have a website and a contact number on the site

<http>http://www.courtlough.ie</http&gt;

Just got of the phone from them.
    Gonna try and pop down there today

that club looks fairly promising, however im a student and i dont drive but on the site it says you can get the train up so ill send off an email to them, I was just wondering if anyone on this site was from bohernbrena rifle club are they know any other clubs located close enough to dublin, in particular the south side as thats where i attend college, thanks

• Advertisement

I live about 5-10 mins away from coutlough and the train does go very close to it.

Just wondering.... is it safe/legal to carry a fire arm on public transport??

oh,... your better off ringing courtlough mate.
    I emailed them last week but never got a reply. There prob mad busy.

my understanding of the law is that you are allowed have your weapon on public if you are transporting it to a ranage gun smith etc. etc. However i dont think that it stretchs that far lol. From what ive heard some ranages offer a aservice so that you can leave your gun there. Still looking for info on a club in south dublin.

Although a shotgun on a train could be useful.....

'Is that seat free?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

st3vo wrote:
    I live about 5-10 mins away from coutlough and the train does go very close to it.

i wouldn't reccommend doing that. some people may take offense

• Advertisement

Anxious - what college are you in?

Trinity and UCD have rifle clubs open to their students. DCU are in the process of opening one as well

Just back from courtlough. Nice place.
    Got my forms etc.

Kinda hate asking questions in them kinda places. You kinda feel
    like your putting people out. And everybody knows each other in these places. Cant help thinking, they're thinking 'whos that gob****e!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

For info on BRC (Bohernabreena) Phone the P.R.O on, 086-3203023.
    She will give you basic details and another phone number of the person in charge of new memberships.
    otherwise just call up to club any sunday morning.

Thanks mech, i went up yesterday the club house seems fairrly nice from the outside, you wouldnt have a clue of the membership cost of that would you? ah im in it tallaght so no hope of having a gun range there ever lol. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

st3vo wrote:
    I seem to remember there being a road safety act from the 1960s that prohibited people carrying offensive weapons on public transport, and the 1990 act defines our firearms as offensive weapons, so no - but if it were cased, noone would know without searching you. It's a bit gray, and you'd like to see it clarified, but clarified to say "yes, go ahead" and I can't see any public servant sticking his neck out that far for a sport with as bad a PR image as ours is at the moment thanks to gun crime and general ignorance of the particulars of our sport and the resulting confusion of the two in the minds of the general population :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

AFAIK That law only applies to road transport, not to rail. In any event I know one of our members regularly travels to our range by train carrying his rifle in a slip.

Yup, applies to buses, taxis, anything with a public licence like that. Again, if the rifle's in a slip, I don't know if it really applies - I believe the law was written for nutjobs who got on the bus with knives in their belt or other equally daft people; if you were transporting stuff in a secure case from A to B, I'm not sure it would cause a problem. The thing is, if you were ever stopped and searched, that belief would be precious little defence, in fact it's more likely to be a source of mirth for the DPP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

Sparks wrote:
    I seem to remember there being a road safety act from the 1960s that prohibited people carrying offensive weapons on public transport, and the 1990 act defines our firearms as offensive weapons, so no - but if it were cased, noone would know without searching you. It's a bit gray, and you'd like to see it clarified, but clarified to say "yes, go ahead" and I can't see any public servant sticking his neck out that far for a sport with as bad a PR image as ours is at the moment thanks to gun crime and general ignorance of the particulars of our sport and the resulting confusion of the two in the minds of the general population :(

My reading of it says "Firearms AND Offensive Weapons Act 1990" , clearly defining the difference between Firearms for sporting use and offensive weapons for criminal use.
    I know it's a small thing and you might think it pedantic, but small things can matter a lot in law.

Gerri wrote:
    My reading of it says "Firearms AND Offensive Weapons Act 1990" , clearly defining the difference between Firearms for sporting use and offensive weapons for criminal use.
    Except that it didn't do so. All it said was that an offensive weapon was that which was carried without good cause in a suspicious manner. So go onto a bus with a cased single-shot ISSF air rifle and it may not apply - go on carrying a glock in your hand with a round in the chamber and it most certainly will. The actual part of the act that relates is in section 10(2):
    "weapon of offence" means any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use.
    read with section 9(6):
    In a prosecution for an offence under subsection (5), it shall not be necessary for the prosecution to allege or prove that the intent to cause injury, incapacitate or intimidate was intent to cause injury to, incapacitate or intimidate a particular person; and if, having regard to all the circumstances (including the type of the article alleged to have been intended to cause injury, incapacitate or intimidate, the time of the day or night, and the place), the court (or the jury as the case may be) thinks it reasonable to do so, it may regard possession of the article as sufficient evidence of intent in the absence of any adequate explanation by the accused.

In other words, if you meet the garda as you come up from the riverbank wearing waders and carrying a rod and a tacklebox and have a knife on your belt, it's sports equipment for gutting fish. If you meet the garda as you walk towards the disco with the same knife on your belt, it's an offensive weapon.

Sometimes the big obvious things matter in law as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

Why can't people just answer the original poster and not go off on rants and tangents????

It's about €800 for the first year in BRC, this is based on a quote I got last year. I think they want to keep the Riff-Raff out :rolleyes:
    or students! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

800 thats a bit steep isnt it i was looking at a max of 400 guess i wont be joining there lol. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

No offence but fees are that high because well the clubs want to make sure that serious shooters get in, i.e. nobody whos gona risk their €800 fee and do something stupid, damaging for the club, sport or other shooters. So basically that fee has done just what it says on the tin, your not serious enough and so wont pay the €800, id pay anything up to €1000 for anything resembling a range or club, wooden shacks porta jax and a chippy would do me, hell a coke machine would do!! I realise your a student so not much disposable income, but maybe if your serious about shooting you should reorg your priorities

It's not been so long since I've been a student newby that I'd imagine that by reorganising my priorities I could come up with a grand to pay in fees for a shooting club membership!

Besides, it's about €120 or so for a year's membership in Wilkinstown and I think it's fairly obvious that our shooters are serious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Sparks wrote:
    It's not been so long since I've been a student newby that I'd imagine that by reorganising my priorities I could come up with a grand to pay in fees for a shooting club membership!

Besides, it's about €120 or so for a year's membership in Wilkinstown and I think it's fairly obvious that our shooters are serious ;)

Fair enough a bit over the top on my part Sparks but you see my point?? Ive never been asked by soooo many questionable individuals as to how to get a glock since they found out it was legal, all i do is quote the cost and there "interest" is out the window. And the grand thing is what I would be willing to pay for shooting facilities, not what your likely to pay!! Sorry if i wasnt clearer

Ive never been asked by soooo many questionable individuals as to how to get a glock since they found out it was legal, all i do is quote the cost and there "interest" is out the window.
    We just point out that we shoot single-shot firearms and the rambos vanish into the ether. It's not that there aren't people who are serious about fullbore shooting - it's just that (and we always used to see this in DURC in the first weeks of every year) you get people whose "training" in firearms was done out by Hollywood and who frankly need a lot of retraining before they're safe to let near a firearm.

Thing is, mere financial obstacles are insufficient. The number of stories of rather clueless but wealthy people I've been hearing of lately is starting to give me pause for somewhat serious thought :(

Re-organise my priorites ha ha ha ha ha. That really is a good one. I dont think that you have been a student for a while, i work all summer to saveup money to pay for the year of college, i dont get a job in the summer because as ive stated before i go to it tallaght and live in artane. Which is about 3hrs traveling some days and thats on top of being in till 9 to 6 somedays.

I am re-organising my priorites to come up with 400 but 800 is completly out of the question. While ill just either have to find a cheaper club or put this idea back on to the shelf which would be a pity because i wouuldve really enjoyed it :(:(

newby.204 wrote:
    No offence but fees are that high because well the clubs want to make sure that serious shooters get in, i.e. nobody whos gona risk their €800 fee and do something stupid, damaging for the club, sport or other shooters. So basically that fee has done just what it says on the tin, your not serious enough and so wont pay the €800

Newby since when did having money make you any more serious then the next person. You could simple be rich and be able to afford it and be the stupiest person in the world. Who is to say that someone ,my age that works and can afford it right now would be anymore safer then me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Folks, joining fees aren't there to discourage people from joining clubs. They usually reflect the investment made in the club by current and past members and are also a necessary source of funds for future expansion plans.

BRC have excellent facilities which wouldn't be there had the membership not put their hands in their pockets to fund them. It would be grossly unfair to these people if anyone could then join without making a financial contribution to the continued success of the club.

If you can't afford to pay the joining fee but still want to join, perhaps you should ask the club if they will allow you pay the fee over a period of time to reduce the financial burden on yourself. It's up to the club of course, but I know that we have taken this approach with some of our members when asked.

rrpc wrote:
    It would be grossly unfair to these people if anyone could then join without making a financial contribution to the continued success of the club.
    It would be; but if the person joining was a junior or a student, it would be equally unfair to demand that they contribute as much as those with far more income. Your average student is earning between €1500 and €5000 per year, depending on whether they work year-round and where they work. I know I never earnt more than €1800 or so (well, £1500, which should date me effectively) when I was in college. And a damn sight less when in secondary school.

(I would expect, however, that when that student started work that they'd then undertake to pay not only the full annual amount but also the capitation fee - that's only fair as well)

Whatever about needing to keep the club financed, you have to keep just a little bit of communism in your heart ;) (specifically, "from each according to his abilities")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

With all this working and college whens a student going to get time to shoot at all?

I say ditch college get a job in a chippy at nights and spend your mornings at the range ;)

or... get permission to shoot on some land somewhere off a farmer most will be delighted for you to come and get rid of what vermin may be there and will have no problem with you setting up a target at 100yards or so for practicing.

Advertisement