Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A month on and still no luck of finding a club

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

With all this working and college whens a student going to get time to shoot at all?
    In a college club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

rrpc wrote:
    Folks, joining fees aren't there to discourage people from joining clubs. They usually reflect the investment made in the club by current and past members and are also a necessary source of funds for future expansion plans.

Yes, i agree but surely they have to draw the line somewhere, if i was a memeber of a gun club i would be apprecative of the work that went into setting it up. (I have helped set up clubs in college) However as i also study accountancy i am also aware that there is a price that people are prepared to pay for a service. And if the price was above this they would go somewhere else.

Im now thinking of just talking to some people that i know who have land and pled with them to let me shoot vermin on there land. However i would have reservations about doing this as i would be a complete novice when it comes to the the safe handling of a gun. Thanks for all the replies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

Anxious, you should contact the East Coast Shooting Club based in Roundwood. Their joining fee is €270 and the annual fee is €230. They can arrange staggered payment for impecunious aspirants. They have shotgun, rifle and pistol ranges and are open to new members once these have satisfied their entry criteria.PM me for contact information.

just on the East Coast Shooting Club website and the club looks great, however i dont drive so getting there would be a great difficulty to me

Sparks wrote:
    Whatever about needing to keep the club financed, you have to keep just a little bit of communism in your heart ;) (specifically, "from each according to his abilities")

Barred from DURC - for life :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ANXIOUS wrote:
    However as i also study accountancy i am also aware that there is a price that people are prepared to pay for a service. And if the price was above this they would go somewhere else.
    That's if there is somewhere else to go. Competition is part of that equation as is the number of buyers in the market. It is important also to find out what portion of the €800 is the annual sub and what part is the joining fee. The annual sub is more important, because that's the amount you have to pay every year. As I said before, you may be able to stagger the payment of the joining fee over a period of time, whereas the sub will have to be coughed up regardless.

As I pointed out before, the fees for a club are directly proportional to the facilities offered. No offence to ECSC, but BRC's facilities are far superior to what East Coast have to offer. Granted East Coast are more multi-disciplinary, but having been to both ranges I can safely say that you get what you pay for. In Rathdrum the joining fee is €300, but that is because our facilities were built over 40 years ago when costs were much lower.

Why don't you take the time to contact the clubs you would be interested in joining and arrange to visit them? At the very least you may learn something of what type of shooting you would like to take part in and discuss the issues of cost directly with them.

The clubs that are in your general area AFAIK are BRC and Dublin Rifle Club. Their ranges are not too far apart, in the general areas of Bohernabreena and Kilbride.

Barred from DURC - for life :D:D:D
    Ah, modern economics students :D
    Ye'll be holding up the wall for the lawyers when the revolutions comes, tovarich :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

rrpc wrote:
    . No offence to ECSC, but BRC's facilities are far superior to what East Coast have to offer. Granted East Coast are more multi-disciplinary, but having been to both ranges I can safely say that you get what you pay for.
    What cheek! ECSC offers multi disciplinary rustic shooting in a sylvan setting. Vistas of beauty surround you as you commune with nature. The esprit de corps is second to none. We only allow good humoured philanthropists to join , especially if they have immense shooting experience which they want to share with neophytes. We also supply a dictionary to all new members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Lmao!

i loved to know whats in the dictionary :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

as i said phone the PRO.
    BRC have staggered fees ie pensioner/ un waged / student etc.
    Phone.

info listed here is wrong !

What info? And if it's wrong, post the right stuff Mech, don't let people go off with the wrong information like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

Yeah they seem to be getting well set up there now. I saw the new pistol range a while ago and it is shaping up well. They also have plans for the rifle rang. Seem like a nice bunch, and very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

From what I know of Brc, the fee is around 400 per year, but there is a joining fee. But anyone who's been there will tell you that they're a friendly bunch who really encourage newbies.

But check with them before we go debating their fees! (BAN WAFFLERS ;-))
    Range facility is excelllent, and for obvious reasons they dont have a anything advertising what they do signposted outside.

As for the transporting firearms on the bus etc, c'mon folks common sense ..DONT, unless you can disguise them (padded guitar case etc). and not draw attention to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

anxious,dublin rifle club,situated near kilbride,150euro membership,myself and a few others live in tallaght,can forward you details if your interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Coche

that is funny I'm trying to get approval for a new range Mail me & see what we can do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

ECSC in Roundwood - anyone have a link to their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

ECSC in Roundwood - anyone have a link to their website?
    http://www.eastcoastshootingclub.com/

Advertisement